I am polishing my batting skills: Chawla

Guest Shivani

Guest Shivani

New Delhi: Promising leg-spinner Piyush Chawla says he is polishing his batting skills to make an India comeback after being ignored for the Champions Trophy, underlining the importance of having a good bat lower down the order in modern cricket. "As a spinner I need to develop new deliveries and I am trying some new ones. Apart from the bowling I am working on my batting too as modern cricket demands good batting right down the order," Chawla told reporters. Chawla, who was in the capital to be a part of an NBA event on Friday, said he was not disheartened at missing the Champions Trophy berth as he believed form was not the reason for his exclusion from the list of probables for the event to be held in South Africa from September 22. "I do not think I was dropped because of bad performance, it has to do with the time and the combination required for the team at this point of time. "I am concentrating on my game, selection is not in my hands. I am keeping my fingers crossed, my work is to play matches and perform," he added. The 21-year-old spinner, who is presently playing county cricket for Sussex, started with a bang by taking 19 wickets and scoring a century in the English County Championships. "I have started well and hope to continue, scoring the hundred was a great feel as it was my maiden first-class hundred. Batting on English wickets is hard because they do not favour the batsmen as they do in India and the ball swings a lot," said Chawla, who represents Uttar Pradesh in the Ranji Trophy. "It has been a learning experience though I have played in only two matches but I have bowled a lot. Pitches in England generally do not support spinners and if you do well on those conditions it boosts up the confidence," he added. Chawla has been popular with Sussex crowd and comparisons has been drawn between him and Pakistani leg spinner Mushtaq Ahmed, who has performed superbly for the county side and helped them win many championships. "From the time of joining Sussex people were comparing me to Mushtaq Ahmed and I told them that I will try my best. There have been immense support with and such crowd support motivates a player to play better cricket," he said.

This in itself is a statement for Chawlas weak bowling skills. He is primarily a bowler and he should concentrate on improving that, but rather he is doing the contrary. Amit Mishra is eons ahead of this guy in terms of leg-spin but poor guy got the break very late. I hope Amit goes on to serve our team for a long time coming and Chawla well if he can turn his leg break that would be an achievement..

i think he can make a comeback.we desperately need an allrounder n if he can improve his batting' date='he'll be back[/quote'] That's exactly what he is aiming at. Some batting skills will give him a stronger chance of coming back. Its not a bad strategy, every one plans his career. An additional useful skill always gives your career a boost. However, I hope he has improved his skills as a bowler enough to justify a comeback.
That's exactly what he is aiming at. Some batting skills will give him a stronger chance of coming back. Its not a bad strategy' date=' every one plans his career. An additional useful skill always gives your career a boost. However, I hope he has improved his skills as a bowler enough.[/quote'] i am talking of ODI s only n i dont think he is too bad ODI bowler.he did well in both versions of IPL n even his legbreak has started turning a bit.
harbhajan singh's one over rated bowler Chawla will be a better test bowler than ODI's imo & should be a good no7 bat
he is not as effective as he was before. Overrated is not a word to describe him IMO.