Remodelled Mohnish emulating Mendis

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/article/59/2009071920090719031104171fe0e5f53/Remodelled-Mohnish-emulating-Mendis.html Remodelled Mohnish emulating Mendis By Deba Prasad Dhar Posted On Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 03:11:04 AM c203.jpgMonish Parmar Only a few months back, Gujarat finger-spinner Mohnish Parmar’s career had hit the skids. Battling chucking allegations, the boy, touted as Indian material, didn’t even merit a place in the West Zone Duleep Trophy team after his action was reported in the Gujarat v Punjab Ranji Trophy match last year. A series of tests followed, including a three-dimensional analysis of his action at the Canberra’s Australian Institute of Sport (AIS). He was asked to undergo a rehabilitation programme at the National Cricket Academy (NCA) but there were apprehensions whether he would be half as effective with a different action. Working with NCA’s director of operations Dav Whatmore, Australia’s bio-mechanist Rene Fernandes and bowling coach B Arun, Mohnish has been able to remodel his style. And he claims that he hasn’t lost any of the bite that fetched him 52 wickets from 11 first-class games last season. More round arm He is now more round-arm at the point of delivery. “My new action is something close to the way Lasith Malinga releases the ball. “I’m still side-on. I haven’t changed the wrist position and the run-up though. I don’t think the bent of my arm will be an issue anymore. I hope I get a clearance soon, for I’ve missed too many tournaments of late,” he says. It would be interesting to see Parma’s new approach, for it’s highly unusual for a spinner to release the ball with such a slinging action like the one Malinga is endowed with. However, the change might have brought an unexpected reward. He’s been trying his hand at leg-spin and has added the flipper and the googly to his variations. He claims to have nearly perfected another special delivery — the carom ball, which is patented by only man in the game. New role model parmar says, “I’ve been watching Ajantha Mendis’ tapes closely, the way he releases the ball. It was difficult to execute it initially and I was more comfortable bowling that delivery with the new ball.” Parmar admits it took him several weeks to get it right. The pain was unbearable in the first 20 days but not anymore: “To bowl the carom ball you need strong fingers. I’ve been working diligently on strengthening them and I’ve been bowling a lot of overs with the soft ball.” It was held that Mohnish had chosen the wrong role model, Muttiah Muralitharan. Perhaps, emulating a bit of Mendis might after all change his blasted luck.
Another M in the making :winky: . Murali' date=' Malinga, Mendis, Mohnish[/quote'] All of these M's are crap. One is a chucker One started off like a rocket -- only to die a whimpy death. One has been slinging his life away -- getting injured more often than Wartkar Last one -- oh well -- is yet to anything.
not too long ago we had someone(stil have?) "emulating" glen mc.grath - Avishkar salvi... so rein in your horses guys.' date='..[/quote'] No Salvi was a joke of a bowler. Parmar has done well so far. He was the highest wicket taker in Indian first class season last year before being reported. He has some mystery about him. He may flunk just like others. But i have more hope in this guy than i ever had any hope in guys like Salvi, VRV Singh, Dhawal kulkarni.