To ICF Iron chefs - How long does curd last ?

Zap_Brannigan

I am thinking about making curd at home. I have never made curd before but i came across the recipe to do it by heating milk and then adding a small amount of curd to it. I am not planning to use the curd everyday and will probably forget to maintain the curd properly (i have things way past its expiry dates in my refrigerator). So help me out chefs, 1. How long does curd usually last ? 2. Is it ok to use low fat milk? 3. Is homemade paneer any good ?

1)In the fridge it should last for 2-3 days without going sour. On the third day......just pour a little water over the curd and pour it out gently.It will taste as good as new. 2)Yes.......if you like thick curd...try adding a spoon of milk powder. 3)Yes....Just boil the milk and add whatever you are using to curdle the milk(lime juice, curd, vinegar).Take off the fire immediatly (don't heat after putting the curdling stuff...this prevents the paneer from going rubbery))...let the milk seperate ......strain into a cloth . If your curd has turned sour, use it to curdle the milk...you will get really soft paneer. If you want even softer paneer ...keep it in a little milk for a while.

why do you want to make curd? just buy it. if you don't use proper seed (can't use store bought ones apparently), it won't come out properly and you will end up throwing the spoilt milk. also weather has to be kinda warm or you need to try tricks like keeping the milk near a warm area like a heater vent, etc. we tried, gave up. now we just buy. we stock up for a week in the fridge and their expiry dates go well beyond that period.

1)In the fridge it should last for 2-3 days without going sour. On the third day......just pour a little water over the curd and pour it out gently.It will taste as good as new. 2)Yes.......if you like thick curd...try adding a spoon of milk powder. 3)Yes....Just boil the milk and add whatever you are using to curdle the milk(lime juice, curd, vinegar).Take off the fire immediatly (don't heat after putting the curdling stuff...this prevents the paneer from going rubbery))...let the milk seperate ......strain into a cloth . If your curd has turned sour, use it to curdle the milk...you will get really soft paneer. If you want even softer paneer ...keep it in a little milk for a while.
yeah i often use a little milk powder too! works a treat i've always used lemon for curdling milk for paneer will have to try that!

Wow! Been ages since I heard the term curd Yoda is right. Its difficult to get the right start to make home made yogurt, and also need the right temperature (well, its probably good in summer though) Buying is easier IMO pavels.jpg
If you stay in a cold place...try covering the bowl of milk and curd with a warm blanket.It works for me in winters.

It should last only a day in warm weather and 2 days in cold weather if you keep outside. After you make it overnight, keep it in the fridge, it should last 4/6 days, but will not taste fresh after 2 days. Anyway, we boil the milk and add a little bit of curd when the milk is still warm and keep it in the oven overnight, without switching on the oven (oven works esp in winters). The next day we keep it in the fridge so it will not get sour and be good for atleast 2 days. You need to use home-made curd to make fresh one. You cannot use 'Yogurt' bought from stores.

:two_thumbs_up::two_thumbs_up:

It should last only a day in warm weather and 2 days in cold weather if you keep outside. After you make it overnight' date=' keep it in the fridge, it should last 4/6 days, but will not taste fresh after 2 days. Anyway, we boil the milk and add a little bit of curd when the milk is still warm and keep it in the oven overnight, without switching on the oven (oven works esp in winters). The next day we keep it in the fridge so it will not get sour and be good for atleast 2 days. You need to use home-made curd to make fresh one. You cannot use 'Yogurt' bought from stores.[/quote'] yeah thats true i had to get curd from my moms house the last time i ran out!!

I don't have the luxury. So i was thinking of using store bought yogurt.
Then buy one from a desi shop. There is a brand named 'Desi Dahi' Yogurt probably available in most NA desi grocery shops. It's the next best to home-made curd. I can't eat plain Yogurt anymore. They taste too much flour'y, like a paste.