The Silent Treatment

fineleg

this is nothing about current situation, but i remembered some past instances and was reflecting. I'm sure many have been in situations where either you gave someone the silent treatment, or was at the receiving end of it. How do or did you handle it? How is the ice broken finally? Experiences?

i get really uncomfortable....and I hate to get it. If i'm on the recieving end I always just keep trying to chip away at the person until they break and all is good again. If I'm in a serious conflict with someone...then I do it just not to get me into further trouble. I don't wanna end up cussing someone out and look like a fool doing it.

i didnt get the fat penguin joke :embarassed: shehez, yes, it will be very uncomfortable for both parties. The thing is if you try to "chip at it", then it can sometimes worsen. Best to give it a few days break, and then go with a clear mind. But some Silent Treatments last for few hours, some for few days, the more serious ones (say you have disagreements with parents on who you will marry or not, or some serious issues), then they can last for month also. The ones I have been in have lasted for 1-2 days. Beyond 2 days, I can never give nor receive silent treatment :laugh:

Me and my brother arent talking, not for a couple of days, ive tried ice breaking but it was a bit on sided so ive abandoned it. He's a dick.
haha me and my bro we used to do that all the time....we'd compete at everything, basketball, cricket...he's 3 years older so when we was younger he'd kick my ass, we'd fight and stuff. you guys'll get over it.

I had a roomie during college who did not talk to me once for one and half month and the other time for about 10 days. The longer 'silence treatment' I agree I goofed up but it wasn't intentional and I apologized too but no he had to 'punish' me. I hate to make enemies and am the last person on this planet who wants to fight with anyone. Sharing a room with someone who just acts like I am invisible felt a little too absurd and childish to my liking. As summer vacation arrived the ice gradually melted. :D

As a kid, I was once so hurt by something that my mum told me that I didn’t speak to her for weeks. :D Instead, I just got a piece of chart-paper, squiggled the Thirukkural ‘Theeyinaar sutta pun ullaarum, aaraadhe naavinaal sutta vadu’ (which roughly translates into ‘The external wounds caused by fire will heal, but the internal scars caused by a caustic tongue never heal..) in my horrible, lefty hand-writing and stuck it in my room to send a message to her. After a while, she came forward and apologized to me and joy of joy, we have been happy mum and son since then.. :D P.S - Thirukural is the most popular, most widely esteemed Tamil Classic of all times. It is a tamil book on philosophy and life in general, written by Thiruvalluvar, a sage and philosopher, about 2000 years ago. Its appeal is universal. It is the only tamil literary work (possibly after the Bible) that has been translated many times in almost all languages of the world. P.S 2 - That piece of chart-paper stuck on the walls is there in my room, more than 10 years later. :D