Calling P_K

Sachinism

:haha: I guess it depends from person to person, getting up at 4.30 is a bit extreme though. I prepared for around 2 years for the entrance, and I used to have a fixed target of studying for around 8 hours a day (less on school days), and I essentially did put in 6-7 hours a day on average for two years. I was ranked in the top 100 so I was pretty satisfied with my effort. Though I know of people ranked ahead of me who really put in like 12 hours a day. One thing that I now find interesting is that throughout those two years of study I never studied into the night beyond 9pm. I was told in my coaching class to synchronize my body clock so that I have the maximum concentration and never feel sleepy during daytime - because the exam was in the day. I remember fine tuning everything - my diet, clothes, pens and various strategies for answering the questions - over the dozens of practice examinations I wrote. Those days of almost fanatical self discipline are well and truly gone for me now.
Respekt dude! :hatsoff: It takes a lot of maturity to be so focused, hard-working and disciplined at such a young age.

Ya, but how many students know it beforehand what they want to do ? We need to make the curriculum more flexible, and have everyone as general engineering major in the first year, like here in US. IITs are so ****ing rigid about curriculum it is ridiculous. Majority of people, even the most brilliant ones, have no ****in clue what their courses are going to be in the next 4 years. If you give them sometime to figure it out, it will be better for all. A lot of my friends were more interested in the sciences/math but still went to get an engineering degree. Most IITs don't have world class science/math faculty or reputation. But in the end, it is the experience of being with really bright people that you take away from IIT, not the details of your degree so much. When you get in, you think the next 4 years are going to define you as a person, but it is far from the truth. In IIT, the thing you learn is how to learn. Then you apply that in grad school or whatever else you do later on.
I didnt go to IIT cos I got only Civil or Marine, but 3 of my buddies did go to IIT all of them IIT madras, I do agree science/math is not that big within IIT. some of their stories were hilarious/brutal about some profs.

Guys I wanted to know about the preparation for the entrance exam' date=' do you guys really have to start at 4:30 and just study the whole day?[/quote'] Well, most people who do get in go for private coaching during their 11th and 12th grade. I was regular with the coaching schedule and that took care of it. It is pretty hard to be so focused when your hormones are at your craziest (16-17 years of age)...I was chasing this girl who was in the coaching class, and that made it pretty hard. :hysterical::hysterical:. I used to try and impress her with my awesome physics skills in the coaching classes. In the end she ended up getting 100 or so rank and I was ranked 1400 :hehe: :hehe:

^^ LMFAO 1400 is still pretty awesome right.
Ya it is good but my love story ended because we ended up in different IITs.
What is it the top 200 get their pictures in the paper, right?
Depends on where you live. Private coaching institutes like to put pictures all over the place. In smaller cities, you get a lot of publicity. I had mine in a chandigarh newspaper...:cool:

Ya it is good but my love story ended because we ended up in different IITs. Depends on where you live. Private coaching institutes like to put pictures all over the place. In smaller cities, you get a lot of publicity. I had mine in a chandigarh newspaper...:cool:
You from Chandigarh.. great. I knew several Chandigarh people in my 2000 entry batch in IIT-D. Which year were you?

You from Chandigarh.. great. I knew several Chandigarh people in my 2000 entry batch in IIT-D. Which year were you?
I am from 2001 batch. I know, 2000 batch from my coaching center had about 12 people who ranked in top 100 and they all went to Delhi I think. You also might know 2 girls who came in 2001 to IIT-D. I heard they were pretty famous in IIT-D..as most girls are. :giggle:

I am from 2001 batch. I know, 2000 batch from my coaching center had about 12 people who ranked in top 100 and they all went to Delhi I think. You also might know 2 girls who came in 2001 to IIT-D. I heard they were pretty famous in IIT-D..as most girls are. :giggle:
Ya, we had like 8-9 people from Chandigarh in 2000 CSE. I didnt quite know the girls from junior batch. But I recall that they were supposed to be a big step up, ahem... "quality" wise.

Ya I remember preparing like crazy during my Grade 10 and half of grade 11 for IIT... I had no life...Wake up at 5am and only studiess...then I moved to Canada during my grade 11..Had best time of my life in Grade 11 and 12 here.... I m in Waterloo which is kind of a IIT of Canada ...Lots of my friends got into IIT... Thinking of it, I feel bad for so much time and effort I put in grade 10 and 11 for IIT.....

Ya I remember preparing like crazy during my Grade 10 and half of grade 11 for IIT... I had no life...Wake up at 5am and only studiess...then I moved to Canada during my grade 11..Had best time of my life in Grade 11 and 12 here.... I m in Waterloo which is kind of a IIT of Canada ...Lots of my friends got into IIT... Thinking of it' date= I feel bad for so much time and effort I put in grade 10 and 11 for IIT.....
Bhai padhai kabhi waste nahi jaati....abhi tak kaam nahi aayi uspe khaafi aashcharya hai mujhe...Waterloo mein engineering mein calculus aur basic physics use nahi karte ? :giggle: Aur yeh grade 10 mein kaun saala IIT ki prep karta hai ?

Bhai padhai kabhi waste nahi jaati....abhi tak kaam nahi aayi uspe khaafi aashcharya hai mujhe...Waterloo mein engineering mein calculus aur basic physics use nahi karte ? :giggle: Aur yeh grade 10 mein kaun saala IIT ki prep karta hai ?
haha..yaaar, I dont feel bad coz I didnt attempt IIT ...its coz Grade 9, 10 and Grade 11 is the time when person should do all masti .... it should not be the time where one should rip their ass off studying...I thinkl I focussed on IIT way too early... and regarding your grade 10 prep for IIT, my school was basically a school of nerds where everyone finished their grade 9 and 10 syllabus in early grade 9 and started focussing on IIT near end of grade 9.... what a waste of teen years...