ROTFLMFAO!! KPL!! precursor to J(humritalaiya)PL

Don't know if there is a thread on this already, but this news is right up there!!:hysterical::hysterical: Uthappa highest bid player in KPL. Team names like Belgaum, Shimoga, and Gulbarga!! The best part is corporates have been conned into bidding for them for crores of rupees and now the BCCI has said no out of state players are allowed.:hysterical: Some related news articles : http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/418149.html http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/419391.html http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/419722.html

Its old and whats there to laugh about? :((
Just came across the news. Didn't have much net access over the last couple of weeks, but couldn't see a thread on the first page. I might be completely out of sync with reality but do you think Karnataka has 100 players to sustain cricket of any quality?
Guest gaurav_indian
Just came across the news. Didn't have much net access over the last couple of weeks, but couldn't see a thread on the first page. I might be completely out of sync with reality but do you think Karnataka has 100 players to sustain cricket of any quality?
Nope but you never know we might find few good cricketers from this league.
Seeing the h eadline that Uthapa is the highest grosser might have prompted you to laugh at it.. But actually there is nothing to laugh about. Its less than 4 lakhs which he can earn by being a 12th man for India in a series. Coming to KPL.. there is nothing wrong in cashing in on the T20 mania. As such no one is interested in watching state matches, leave alone districts. But with KPL, I hope some amount of viewer interest is brought into such matches, and some real good talent are unearthed
Guest Hiten.
Seeing the h eadline that Uthapa is the highest grosser might have prompted you to laugh at it.. But actually there is nothing to laugh about. Its less than 4 lakhs which he can earn by being a 12th man for India in a series. Coming to KPL.. there is nothing wrong in cashing in on the T20 mania. As such no one is interested in watching state matches, leave alone districts. But with KPL, I hope some amount of viewer interest is brought into such matches, and some real good talent are unearthed
What is the point of this league when there is already a league assigned which covers up the entire country, hence giving the opportunity to 'unknown entities' a chance to shine in front of millions who actually follow and care for the league. KPL is farce and should be fkin banned. Next thing you know, Andheri (suburb of Mumbai) is launching a league where Sher-e-Punjabi's will be jostling against Lokhandwalians. Give me a break
What talent has IPL unearthed in 2 full seasons that you expect a state league to throw out some extraordinary talent. The only good I see out of it, as is the case with IPL, is players on the sidelines earning some money.
What talent has IPL unearthed in 2 full seasons that you expect a state league to throw out some extraordinary talent. The only good I see out of it, as is the case with IPL, is players on the sidelines earning some money.
Amit Mishra, Manish Pandey, Rahane etc. Also IPL had 4 foreign players and lot of established international players from india who kind of overshadowed any notable performance by the youngsters. In KPL, that wont be the case.. BTW.. whats wrong in such leagues.. whether you are aware or not... there are 100s of leagues already happening in every major cricketing state, where corporates are involved. TNCA regularly conducts the 1st division and 2nd division leagues... browse through the sports section of Hindu or TOI during India's offseason and you'll see headlines like Blue Star CC skittles Globe Trotters etc. Now due to popularity of T20 format, its hitting headlines in a much higher scale... which is good. Let the guys earn some money and get noticed.
Amit Mishra, Manish Pandey, Rahane etc.
Pandey? He has cowlashed 2 scores in T20! The others were well known domestic names even before IPL. Rahane did not even do anything worthwhile in IPL. The only talent I can remember coming through IPL has been Kamran Khan.
BTW.. whats wrong in such leagues.. whether you are aware or not... there are 100s of leagues already happening in every major cricketing state, where corporates are involved. TNCA regularly conducts the 1st division and 2nd division leagues... browse through the sports section of Hindu or TOI during India's offseason and you'll see headlines like Blue Star CC skittles Globe Trotters etc. Now due to popularity of T20 format, its hitting headlines in a much higher scale... which is good. Let the guys earn some money and get noticed.
As I said the only thing good is players earning some decent money. But is KPL sustainable? The amount of money involved is quite substantial compared to other such leagues.
The Karnataka Premier League tournament will be called the ‘Mantri-KPL Cup’ after the Karnataka State Cricket Association accepted Mantri Developers’ title-sponsorship bid of Rs. 11.11 crore, payable over five years. More...
Should have been called 'Kantri-KPL'! It's a small scale local tournament played with some big bucks. I am sure Karnataka has more than 100 players to play decent cricket. They will get them from university level, under-19, under-17 circuit as well. Some exs like Joshi, Ganesh etc will play.

If not J(humritalaiya)PL, it certainly is time for Bareilly Premier League If ever you needed proof of just how big an impact the Indian Premier League has had, here it is: 64 cricketers, most of them local, were auctioned at a hotel here for the first season of, yes, you guessed it, the Bareilly Premier League, reports Sharad Deep. More... Now, it’s time for the Bareilly Premier League Sharad Deep, Hindustan Times Bareilly, September 04, 2009 First Published: 23:50 IST(4/9/2009) Last Updated: 23:53 IST(4/9/2009) If ever you needed proof of just how big an impact the Indian Premier League has had, here it is: 64 cricketers, most of them local, were auctioned at a hotel here for the first season of, yes, you guessed it, the Bareilly Premier League (BPL). So, what were the kind of prices these cricketers commanded? Well, the star attraction at the BPL will be a certain Gaurav Shukla, who commanded the highest price of, hold your breath, Rs 10,000 — 100 times the base price of Rs 100. Not a mean feat when you consider that only 10 of the cricketers were offered over Rs 1,000, while the other 54 were auctioned for Rs 200-300. The other big money deals involved UP U-16 cricketer Tarun, who was bought for Rs 7,600 and Mohit Raj Sharma, bought for Rs 2500. Local sport goods manufacturing company Brosid, multinational marketing unit Ample, Bareilly’s biggest photo colour lab Natraj and shipping company Ventures own the four ‘franchisees’ and spent a combined sum of Rs. 78,000 at the auction. According to details made available to HT, Brosid led the spending, paying Rs 30,000 for 21 players. In second place was Ample, investing Rs 21,000 in 14 cricketers. Natraj auctioned 15 cricketers for Rs 17,900, while Ventures Shipping Company bought 14 players for Rs 9,000. The four-day event is being organised by the Bareilly Cricket Academy and offers Rs 20,000 to the first two finishers, and Rs.10,000 to the team finishing third. “We were looking for such auctions ever since the first IPL took place,” BCA director Saurabh Bhambari told the Hindustan Times.

Guest Shivani

even my college had a KPL (KIIT premier league) where the highest amount for which a player was picked was Rs 1,20,000 :protest: sony will show a new show called DPL = Dance premier league :P IPL certainly has left a huge impact on these people for God's sake BPL ( Bareilly Premier League ) ewww how downmarket