Rahul Dravid returns to the ODI team for Compaq cup and Champions Trophy

Feed

Guest gaurav_indian
Dravid will lend stability. But India will still lose. He is good enough to play Tests couple of years. But ODIs it is waste of exercise. I am sure it is for giving a farewell to Dravid. Kohli should have been picked.
Yep you are right. Just saw it in the news. After Champions trophy he will say goodbye to ODI's.

i am going on the record saying this is a bad move.Our hallmark in recent odi success has been our batting(our bowling has been generally shi*t and an embarrassment).We were especially good at maintaining our runrate even if we lose a couple of wickets.this will not be the case with dravid in the lineup.without Sehwag we will not have one of those riproaring starts and the need to go at a steady RR is paramount.where will Dravid bat?.It would be a real mistake if he bats at 3 and every other spot in the batting order is taken.

dude there is no better way to teach them then to show them by doing it in the middle.agreed RD isnt in long term plans but if Veeru isnt there we need experience.CT is a tournament we cant afford to take lightly after t20 WC. n its not about one bouncer per over its about the mental effect a bouncer has no these youngsters.its more temperamental than technical issue
of course there is, that's why there's practice games. Simulate practice matches and ask bowlers from the Academies to bowl short at these guys. Hone their cut/hook/pull shots. Dravid can't go out and show them how to do it in the middle for a couple of overs and then the other batsmen be like aha! That's how I need to play it. In principle I agree with the horses for courses theory...but there should be a broader role defined for Dravid if he's gonna come back, and it's not just to deal with the short ball. Reason being we can't predict when the ball will be short. If we were having a problem with stability in the 20th to 40th overs and wickets were falling...then I would agree with Dravid coming back and shepherding the middle overs. But that's not happening. This Indian team needs to look forward and not back. BUT, I'm all for Dravid if he has a chance to play WC 2011. If not, no point selecting him.
i am going on the record saying this is a bad move.Our hallmark in recent odi success has been our batting(our bowling has been generally shi*t and an embarrassment).We were especially good at maintaining our runrate even if we lose a couple of wickets.this will not be the case with dravid in the lineup.without Sehwag we will not have one of those riproaring starts and the need to go at a steady RR is paramount.where will Dravid bat?.It would be a real mistake if he bats at 3 and every other spot in the batting order is taken.
well RD has a career strike rate pretty similar to Rohit,so if Rohit could play,so can RD.Sehwag will be missed but we'll have to manage without him.we need experience in MO specially against short balls.we still have Yuvraj,Yusuf to attack.Dhoni also needs to go back to his earlier game RD will bat at 3.we have been losing early wickets in recent games n RD will help counter that
of course there is, that's why there's practice games. Simulate practice matches and ask bowlers from the Academies to bowl short at these guys. Hone their cut/hook/pull shots. Dravid can't go out and show them how to do it in the middle for a couple of overs and then the other batsmen be like aha! That's how I need to play it. In principle I agree with the horses for courses theory...but there should be a broader role defined for Dravid if he's gonna come back, and it's not just to deal with the short ball. Reason being we can't predict when the ball will be short. If we were having a problem with stability in the 20th to 40th overs and wickets were falling...then I would agree with Dravid coming back and shepherding the middle overs. But that's not happening. This Indian team needs to look forward and not back. BUT, I'm all for Dravid if he has a chance to play WC 2011. If not, no point selecting him.
i think the role for RD is arrest the collapses n build partnerships which he is so good at.he is one of the best pullers so can help the yungsters with it,but thats only the secondary job.
i think the role for RD is arrest the collapses n build partnerships which he is so good at.he is one of the best pullers so can help the yungsters with it' date='but thats only the secondary job.[/quote'] again, no problem in this logic. If he has a defined role that's gonna help India win, I'm all for it. BUT he needs to be part of India's plans in the WC 2011. The selectors need to sit him down and say...buddy this is your second chance. If you make the runs, no one can drop you. Hopefully this will happen as Dravid deserves only the best after he's shed so much blood, sweat, tears for us.
iWe were especially good at maintaining our runrate even if we lose a couple of wickets.this will not be the case with dravid in the lineup.without S.
We will see those old fashioned consolidation where we put up half decent totals but still lost. Side is imbalanced. Once again down to Yuvi to provide acceleration.
again' date=' no problem in this logic. If he has a defined role that's gonna help India win, I'm all for it. BUT he needs to be part of India's plans in the WC 2011. The selectors need to sit him down and say...buddy this is your second chance. If you make the runs, no one can drop you. Hopefully this will happen as Dravid deserves only the best after he's shed so much blood, sweat, tears for us.[/quote'] well to be honest RD has only 0.1% chance of playing WC 2011.but CT is also a prestigious tournament,we need to do well in it especially after T20 WC.hence RD is called back.it will also be a farewell that he deserves
We will see those old fashioned consolidation where we put up half decent totals but still lost. Side is imbalanced. Once again down to Yuvi to provide acceleration.
lol we r not gonna be playing on flat pitches like India that we keep on hitting despite losing wickets.
lol we r not gonna be playing on flat pitches like India that we keep on hitting despite losing wickets.
Okay.. South African pitches are two types. One that is prepared when Asian teams tour. One that is flat as pancake. Later is the case for one dayers. Remember 438, 359/2 in final. Only certain conditions will test batsmen. Those conditions tested our best of the best as well. Look at it this way. Atleast flat track bullies ensure wins on flat tracks :winky:.
Okay.. South African pitches are two types. One that is prepared when Asian teams tour. One that is flat as pancake. Later is the case for one dayers. Remember 438' date=' 359/2 in final. Only certain conditions will test batsmen. Those conditions tested our best of the best as well. Look at it this way. Atleast flat track bullies ensure wins on flat tracks :winky:.[/quote'] South African flat tracks will still have more bounce than Indian flat tracks.we need players who can counter that.even in T20 WC in England,wickets were flat but we saw what happened.438 n 359/2 were scored by Aus n SA who play at such wickets all the time.Indians r not like that.