Salman meets IPL chief, to buy team

Mumbai: Film star Salman Khan, who had performed at the closing ceremony of the inaugural edition of the cash rich Indian Premier League, is said to be interested in purchasing an IPL team in 2010. Salman met IPL chairman and commissioner Lalit Modi here on Wednesday and discussed the auction process. Two new teams that will start playing in the fourth edition of the IPL in 2011, will be auctioned in January next year. http://cricketnext.in.com/news/salman-meets-ipl-chief-to-buy-team/43512-13.html

Guest Hiten.

If IPL is adding 2 more new teams, they should split into 2 Groups with 5 teams each (Just like the WC 2003). This would ensure the competition is not dragged on and people won't lose interest. If they follow the same suit as the current IPL fixture, people will find it difficult to follow all the games.

Hmm.. I hate to see cricket becoming a casualty of all this dramabaazi. As long as IPL’s main ingredient was high quality, entertaining T20 cricket with all the Bollywood razzmatazz being the condiments, things are fine. But if the Bollywood antics is going to take centre-stage relegating the actual the game to a side-show, then that cannot be good at all. IPL is fast becoming a tool for celebs to lift their flagging profiles and super-rich industrialists to invest their excess millions. I hope Modi and his bunch of extremely talented/capable but also scrupulous cohorts decide to put the press the brake pedal at some point and say ‘Enough, we’ve gotto stop now..’

Do we know which region these other 2 teams will come from?
I think Amdavad is 1st in line to get a new team. Considereing the riches of the state and not having an IPL team is a shame. 2nd -- possibly Nagpur, Goa? May be even Guwahati
Guest Hiten.
I think Amdavad is 1st in line to get a new team. Considereing the riches of the state and not having an IPL team is a shame. 2nd -- possibly Nagpur, Goa? May be even Guwahati
My bet would be Kanpur (Sahara is keen to buy a franchise for this city's team) and A'bad is pretty obvious (Reliance - Anil Ambani). ..and this piece of news is a rumor. Salman met Lalit not to talk about ownership but to be a brand ambassador of unnamed team. When lalit modi said the team's price would be in the region of 200-300 million dollars, it should have been clearer that Salman can't afford this humongous price tag.