Best laptop to buy

nikred

Btw on the topic of Laptops, my trusty old Toshiba that I bought nearly 3 years ago is still going strong. It became almost dysfunctional about a year ago (battery dead, keyboard was giving issues, RAM capacity became increasingly inadequate, 80 GB hard-disk was almost full, the laptop became painfully slow etc). Just as I was considering the possibility of spending another $700-$800 on a buying a new one, I read online that you could keep your old lappie running with a few basic running repairs. First up, I doubled my RAM capacity to a more respectable 2 GG RAM, brought an external HD to which I moved all my music/videos to, shopped online for a used Toshiba battery that wasn’t totally dysfunctional, re-installed my OS and got a wireless keyboard. All this cost me less than $125 bucks (partly because I got most of this done during one of my India trips). Now, the same ‘ol creaky laptop that was having mountains of issues and took 2 hours to boot up now stands totally transformed. Performance has become even better than when I first bought it. Usability has also easier. Something for all ya guys to consider I suppose.

Marirs, i have one Toshiba Satellite, it really never gave me any problem. and is working great from past 2 years I actually got from a "chor" for 150 bucks. He stole it from somewhere, and then sold to me. He ofen steel stuff like Iphones, camcorders etc. The other day he got this crazy travel Steam Iron

Marirs, i have one Toshiba Satellite, it really never gave me any problem. and is working great from past 2 years I actually got from a "chor" for 150 bucks. He stole it from somewhere, and then sold to me. He ofen steel stuff like Iphones, camcorders etc. The other day he got this crazy travel Steam Iron
:giggle: Every now and then Tics bhai, you really do scare me. :D

I thought this is very comman thing in U.S. Here people just are deserpately looking for some fast cash and hence they try to sell whatever they have. There have ben lot of such instances.
Well, it maybe common, but that still does not make right. Please resist buying stolen goods, at least in the future. :D

..thats what my cuz told me back in 2000 - he said around downtown ( toronto ) u might find some black guys who sell nice stolen laptops I had these guys approach me with a laptop in a fedex box - they said they could make a deal in $200, I said I only had $100 cash - they said OK and just went away I went home and it was a nicely packed fedex box, shape of a laptop and stuffed with nothing but rolled paper above happen the very next day my cuz told me abt these deals

I can't agree with you more Domaink, on the VAIO bit, Its like a Blonde Chick of the Laptop World, Insanely Over-Priced, with Sub-Standard Components. You need to have a look inside the laptop to actually know, how a Laptop can purely survive on Brand Name and Appearance . I was tempted a couple of years back, but evaded it after consulting a couple of guys who actually used it.

I can't agree with you more Domaink, on the VAIO bit, Its like a Blonde Chick of the Laptop World, Insanely Over-Priced, with Sub-Standard Components. You need to have a look inside the laptop to actually know, how a Laptop can purely survive on Brand Name and Appearance . I was tempted a couple of years back, but evaded it after consulting a couple of guys who actually used it.
Then we agree actually. I called VIAO a stupid brand from usability point of view. Its actually a successful brand that thrives on pure hype. Not recommendable for anyone.

Well ya i would.. Just that that time i couldn't resist because he got that laptop in Best buy bag.
hmmm......my computer has a LoJack. If your chor would have stolen my laptop, cops would have been in front of your house the moment you used the internet. :emc:

While I dont know much about laptops but IMO, Dell laptops are cheap and affordable. If you're a student, Microsoft has deals with universities and colleges and you may able to get Microsoft software free including operating systems and MS Office through MSDNAA. Some deals forums u may wanna check out slick deals fatwallet There's a dell mini for $200 :woot:

..thats what my cuz told me back in 2000 - he said around downtown ( toronto ) u might find some black guys who sell nice stolen laptops I had these guys approach me with a laptop in a fedex box - they said they could make a deal in $200, I said I only had $100 cash - they said OK and just went away I went home and it was a nicely packed fedex box, shape of a laptop and stuffed with nothing but rolled paper above happen the very next day my cuz told me abt these deals
hmmm......my computer has a LoJack. If your chor would have stolen my laptop' date=' cops would have been in front of your house the moment you used the internet. :emc:[/quote'] lol, I was just going to mention that too. This can happen a lot in the trucking business when you have a load of laptops to deliver. Sometimes the driver can slip a few away. Then these get sold on the street. However, in some cases the laptops are for businesses and they usually have a tracking utility on the laptops when they get lost. :hehe: So be careful next time:girly1:

hmmm......my computer has a LoJack. If your chor would have stolen my laptop' date=' cops would have been in front of your house the moment you used the internet. :emc:[/quote'] u mean cops really have time to take ur report and get a cop car in front of someones house in moments? This reminds of a joke from 'Frasier', Frasier gets a bad deal on a piece of painting and is ranting abt how he will get them back and calls the cops - his father says dial 4 for arts and forgery dept.he dials and says there's no one there Father says cops dont have time for all this, they are busy with different things its a different story if it was a car

To be frank, cop can't do anything. We bought it from someone. People trade various stuff. It's not that we actually stole. Now stuff people buy from Ebay etc, people don't know if the seller actually stole it or he actuallly ownz it. @Rajiv, my was a diff thing, I actually gave him the money after checking the stuff inside the box etc

u mean cops really have time to take ur report and get a cop car in front of someones house in moments? This reminds of a joke from 'Frasier', Frasier gets a bad deal on a piece of painting and is ranting abt how he will get them back and calls the cops - his father says dial 4 for arts and forgery dept.he dials and says there's no one there Father says cops dont have time for all this, they are busy with different things its a different story if it was a car
That was just for dramatic effect. :P But then again, once i saw three police cars and a paramedics van outside my neighbors house. The crime - the guy slapped the girl. I don't know if domestic violence is a bigger crime than theft but I don't think its worth all the attention it was getting.They spent two hours there and arrested the guy to just let him go after half hour. To me they seemed to have no other work and were passing time there. :--D

Nikred as you are buying a laptop in India as mentioned in your first post, I would advise you to get an idea of the different brands and their prices in India. Check out the brands at Indiatimes shopping and their costs for an idea. http://shopping.indiatimes.com/i/f/t/Laptop_Computers-cat-960051-pc--ctl-20376650- HP is undoubtedly the most popular laptop brand in India but others are also doing well in the market. $650 would be around 31000 bucks and so I doubt you will get the best laptops in that range in India. I think you need to check a few deals and you might get a core2duo at the most. But it depends on the deal. Speak to a trusted computer shop owner and he will be able to guide you the best IMO.