Mohammed Kaif

Sooda

...didnt make any challenger squads this year. Despite averaging 48 last year and 57 the year before in domestic cricket, let alone being the captain of one of the best state sides. I do think Kaif has been very harshly treated for a little while now. He was picked in a squad to play Seth Africa when SRT got injured last year but then dosent get in any further ones. Crapola gits like Badrinath get in the squad, who cant even score against emerging teams. Kaif meanwhile proves himself in tests in a crisis-as he did when he had a good series vs Aus in 04 which SHOULD have seen him play a bit more, But dropped again until that 91 versus England at Nagpur nearly 2 years later, followed by a good series in WI where he scored a pretty good ton and then is dropped for good to pave way for Ganguly. Yes the big names are all better batsmen. But surely he should be on the fringes, ahead of middle order candiddates like Badri He played well vs Aus in a tour match last year apparently with a new free-er scoring technique. So. Why not Kaif...?

Yup....I mentioned in the Irani trophy thread as well. Really surprising to see him not making the rest of India squad with lulzolla batsmen like Tiwary in the team. He has had an amazing two consecutive domestic seasons and has rectified the one thing missing from his batting - the inability to score hundreds on a regular basis. He has done well whenever he has been asked to play test matches - disappointing to see him out of the reckoning.

Sachinism- as I mentioned he should be in the 15 at least. If SRT, Laxman and Dravid were all MIA (god forbid), how many middle order candidates can you think of to replace them. Effectively the selectors are saying he isnt one of the best 42 players in the country...

Don't think he would ever make it to the India side. So it doesn't matter
Kaif was a waste of investment and i personally would not like to see him anywhere near our indian side.....
Besides the point. Not many on that list have a chance of making it to the national side, doesn't mean they get ignored totally.

^ Well its true. For middle order 4-6 where Kaif can fit in, the realistic options as back up are Raina, Rohit, Badri and Virat. The likes of Rahane need a bit more time. Id say Kaif should be ahead of the queue in front of all those 4 bearing in mind his recent domestic work and what he's done for us in the past in test cricket. Raina and Rohit are much more talented naturally but need a bit more time.

Yep lacked nothing for commitment and effort if not the most prodigiously gifted bat I havent been following Badrinaths India A career especially closely but know he is a very good domestic batsman and also that he wasnt so hot in the emerging players tourno. Still I cant see how what he has done puts him higher in the pecking order. Kaif has played some good knocks in test cricket and would have done better still if given the decent run he deserved. I agree is perhaps not an ODI batsman (although I hear he is a better strokeplayer now than he was a few years ago) he should be in the test squad. He was unlucky to be dropped in the first place after that WI tour, yes Ganguly more than justified his call up, but Kaif did no wrong. All this is academic anyway- todays teams annoucements show he is pretty far indeed from the A team let alone Test squad. Shame.

Kaif cant do much worse than Y.Pathan or D.Karthik currently.
I don't think they will try to take that line. If Kaif fails we might say Rohan Gavaskar cannot do much worse than him. You don't pick players based on that. You pick players on their potential, ability, form. He was too slow and too inconsistent. At one stage he was recording series of single digits. He probably got the longest rope an Indian player could hope to get.