Sehwag sees Gambhir as future India captain

TaNk

96068.2.jpg Virender Sehwag has said his fellow opener Gautam Gambhir is a leading candidate to captain India in the future. Sehwag felt Gambhir, his team-mate at the club, state and national levels, had the potential to be groomed into a leader and that appointing him vice-captain in South Africa was clear indication that he could graduate into the captaincy. "He [Gambhir] is a good cricketer, is very intelligent and Delhi have won the Ranji Trophy under him already once [in 2007-08]," Sehwag said in Mumbai. Gambhir, named deputy to MS Dhoni in the Champions Trophy after Yuvraj Singh was forced home with a finger injury, was recently appointed Delhi Daredevils captain after Sehwag opted out of the role. Sehwag made public his intentions of not wanting the Indian vice-captaincy as he felt the selectors were better off grooming a youngster for the job, but was open to leading his country. "I never said I don't want captaincy," he said. "I don't want to be the vice-captain of Indian team." Elaborating on his decision to step down from the leadership role with the Daredevils, Sehwag said he was disappointed the team couldn't qualify for the IPL final under him. "I tried for two years and we didn't qualify for the finals so I told the owners to try someone else's luck as mine was not working." Sehwag targeted Australia's tour of India for seven one-day internationals later this year as the time for his return to international cricket. He said he would start by playing for Rest of India in the Irani Trophy next week and then graduate to the Daredevils in the Champions League Twenty20 before the home series beginning October 25. "I'm not yet fit for international cricket as I can't throw the ball from the boundary. During the Irani Cup I will be standing the slips since I'm the captain [of Rest of India] and if I perform I stand a good chance." Sehwag returned to on-field cricket recently for the low-key JP Atray tournament after shoulder surgery for an injury sustained during the IPL and ruled him out of the ICC World Twenty20, a short visit to the West Indies, the triangular ODI series in Sri Lanka and the ongoing Champions Trophy. Source :- http://www.cricinfo.com/india/content/current/story/426782.html

Gauti has the reasonable mind to lead India 5-10 years down the line if needed. But I think he should not be given any such hint or he will feel additional pressure and will not be able to perform to his potential. Frankly speaking Yuvi is fine as the vice captain and it should be made clear that the vice captain is only for name sake and there is no need to take pressure. Dhoni can do the job himself with the guidance of the seniors.

Gauti has the reasonable mind to lead India 5-10 years down the line if needed. But I think he should not be given any such hint or he will feel additional pressure and will not be able to perform to his potential. Frankly speaking Yuvi is fine as the vice captain and it should be made clear that the vice captain is only for name sake and there is no need to take pressure. Dhoni can do the job himself with the guidance of the seniors.
but what if Dhoni gets injured?who would u want to be stand in skip?i would rather have GG than UV

Sachinism, Sehwag didn't give too many interviews. All of these crappy questions like "who woulod be future captain" etc were asked when he made the statement that he won't captain Delhi Daredevils anymore. He just announced his daredevils captaincy stint programme and instead this Indian captaincy was given more importance by columnist who publish numerous articles.

This kind of press will just hurt the team..obviously Dhoni might take this article a little personally..and it gets released right after a loss vs Pak. It would suck to have grudges between team members at least before the World Cup.
These cricketers are experienced enough not to get influenced by media....especially when it comes to what their fellow team mates say. This Indian team works better as a team and they have less ego problems. Sachin was once asked something about what one of his team mates said about him. He replied "I don't need the media to tell me what my team mates think about me."