Say what ? Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize

Rajiv

Hmm, The only reason it could be is because of his efforts to bring about Nuke Disarmament. And try harder for a Israel/Palestine solution than his predecessors. He is trying also to get USA much more involved globally. None of those though are tangible acheivements yet and are very much in rhetoric stage. Wasnt the PM of Zimbabawe in the running?

Look at this way. After Bush' date=' anyone who takes the post, will seem like the epitome of peace[/quote'] true :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: It is just like choro ke beech me accha chor :hysterical: I dont dislike Obama but he is surely not eligible for Nobel Peace Prize. He has not done a single thing to get that.

I think it is being given for the power his position holds and the promises he has made so far in terms of global nuclear disarmament, concern for the environment, respect for the UN and other countries, religion, etc. They are trying to send a message to future US presidents as that is the single most important office in the world, but typically all left leaning US presidents will fit that mold. I am not sure what Obama has done so far so special for example that Clinton did not in his 8 years.

I think it is being given for the power his position holds and the promises he has made so far in terms of global nuclear disarmament' date=' concern for the environment, respect for the UN and other countries, religion, etc. They are trying to send a message to future US presidents as that is the single most important office in the world, but typically all left leaning US presidents will fit that mold. I am not sure what Obama has done so far so special for example that Clinton did not in his 8 years.[/quote'] You can't give noble prize for promises that too by a politician. :wall:

You can't give noble prize for promises that too by a politician. :wall:
So true...Mother Teresa had to work a life time and this guy gets it for reading out promises from a tele prompter!
I totally agree. I read somewhere that Obama should refuse the prize and ask them to give it to someone more deserving. But one thing is the Nobel committee makes decision based on their own criteria which apparently includes intentions and not necessarily only results.

^^ Intentions ?? If Nobel prize are given for intentions..i should be given one:--D Obama has had very "good" intentions. He's bombing our "padosis" in order to kill terrorists , but the news reports show more of civilian causality. I despise killing of innocent people anywhere ,even if its padosis. US armies still present in Iraq and Afganistan!! and Obama is going to get peace prize for that? he should not take that prize and degrade the credibility. People like Gandhi , were not given!!! there are others like San suu kyi ..really deserving. And Obama gets award !!!OMG There are many others deserving

^^ Intentions ?? People like Gandhi , were not given!!!
It seems Noble prizes are not awarded posthumously, and in the year 1948, the awards were not given to anybody. Gandhi has been noted/cited for his work by the award committee, but was not given an award officially. Later on, I think, they broke that rule and gave it to some African leader who died in a plane crash.

"The committee has attached special importance to Obama's vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons," the statement said. "Obama has as president created a new climate in international politics. Multilateral diplomacy has regained a central position, with emphasis on the role that the United Nations and other international institutions can play. Dialogue and negotiations are preferred as instruments for resolving even the most difficult international conflicts." The committee added, "Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future."
for those who haven't read the exact statement. not justifying it, just posting here for reference.