Pakistani drug cheat Mohammad Asif eyes MCG Test- theaustralian.com.au

DRUG cheat Mohammad Asif will not play a one-day series against New Zealand in the United Arab Emirates for fear of being jailed, but he is on course to tour Australia this summer. Twice caught using banned steroid nandrolone in the past three years, the fast bowler was detained for 19 days in Dubai in June, 2008. Opium weighing 0.24grams was found in his wallet at the airport as he made his way home from playing in the Indian Premier League. As a result, Pakistan officials believe it would be unwise to send Asif back to the UAE to play three one-day internationals and two Twenty20 games at Abu Dhabi and Dubai. "If he lands in Dubai he will be caught," Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Ijaz Butt said. "I have talked at the highest level in Dubai and they told me, 'Don't risk him'." The limited-overs series, which was shifted to the UAE due to security concerns in Pakistan, will be followed by three Tests in New Zealand. Pakistan is then set to provide the centrepiece of the Australian summer, playing the Boxing Day and New Year Tests in Melbourne and Sydney before finishing the series in Hobart in mid-January. This will be followed by five one-dayers and a Twenty20 match in late January and early February. Cricket Australia has distanced itself from any concerns about a cricketer with such a drugs history touring Australia. "The composition of any national team is a matter for that national board," a spokesman said. Asif, 26, recently returned to international cricket after serving a one-year ban, having tested positive to nandrolone during the inaugural IPL tournament. In 2006, Asif and fellow Pakistani fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar tested positive to nandrolone. Asif was banned for one year and Shoaib for two by the PCB but the bans were overturned on appeal in farcical circumstances because the Pakistan board had no provision in its laws covering the use of banned substances. The pair has been added to the Pakistan Olympic Association list of doping offenders. Asif has taken 51 wickets from 11 Tests, and claimed 38 dismissals in 32 one-day internationals. There was some good news for Pakistan, with Younis Khan agreeing to return as captain. He offered to resign last week following allegations his team had deliberately thrown matches at the Champions Trophy in South Africa. But following a governing council meeting in Lahore, Butt said he had never accepted Younis's resignation and he would remain captain until the 2011 World Cup on the subcontinent. "I realise and understand his reaction and had I been in his place I would've done the same," Butt said. Allegations of match-fixing were levelled at Younis and his side after losing to Australia off the last ball of their final group game, a defeat that shut the door on India's progress. Pakistan then lost its semi-final against New Zealand - a match it was favoured to win. Younis decided to quit at a hearing before the National Assembly's standing committee on sports last week which was called to probe Pakistan's defeats. Chairman of the committee Jamshed Ahmed Dasti had led the match-fixing accusations. http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,26237692-2722,00.html :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

I am guessing if Asif's mum had given him that drug for his shoulder pain' date=' it would be acceptable to the Aussie news media.[/quote'] This is just the beginning bacche. You guys are going there after years. Prepare for a hard time. the Aussie media rips into all opposition. Hope your players are mentally strong enough. All Aussie tours are usually lost in the mind even before the first ball is bowled
This is just the beginning bacche. You guys are going there after years. Prepare for a hard time. the Aussie media rips into all opposition. Hope your players are mentally strong enough. All Aussie tours are usually lost in the mind even before the first ball is bowled
they better prepare for a white wash.the chance of them winning a single game are pretty bleak.

What a shocking headline, that too coming from someone like Malcom Conn! I’d like to see them use headlines like ‘Alcoholic Symonds hits 100’, ‘Bookie buddy Warne plays for theRoyals’. Given Australia’s recent history, all their numerous bump catches they claimed to pocket the Sydney test, they should among the last ones to speak about playing the game fair. This is no defense of Asif and his drug-abusing buddies, but I think the Aussies should first clean up their own closet before pointing fingers at others.

This is just the beginning bacche. You guys are going there after years. Prepare for a hard time. the Aussie media rips into all opposition. Hope your players are mentally strong enough. All Aussie tours are usually lost in the mind even before the first ball is bowled
at bold - that won't matter as pakistani cricket players don't know how to read english newspapers nor listen to tv news in english. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
I am guessing if Asif's mum had given him that drug for his shoulder pain' date=' it would be acceptable to the Aussie news media.[/quote'] This guy was caught on 3 different occasions. And also Warne served punishment for 2 years. I very much doubt 2nd time offender like Asif would have got away like he did in Australia.
This guy was caught on 3 different occasions. And also Warne served punishment for 2 years. I very much doubt 2nd time offender like Asif would have got away like he did in Australia.
Shane Warne was banned for 1 year only and who knows how long he was using the drugs for.

I am wondering if the same author refereed Shane Warne with such praising words. Call Asif whatever you want but I can just foresee him sending Ponting, Hussey, Watto, Cameron etc stumps on a journey of cart-wheeling. What Asif did in the past will always haunt him and the only way he can come out of it is he performs and stay miles away from anything that look like powder and syringe. :winky:

Well i was wondering on Asif Episode... i think he was an idiot to carry steriods in his wallet.. if he cud have put it in his luggage he cud have easily passed as he was on transit and he was about to board another flight. Normally for quick transit the luggages are carried from one aircraft to another straight away..