Top sportsmen

triam

The thread about Sachin being Asias greatest sportsman, leads me to start this thread, what is your personal list for top 10 sportsmen of all time, you can break it down to the whole world, asia and india if you prefer. Mine would be Ali Pele Jordan Federer Carl Lewis Owens Jesse Jahangir Khan Navaratilova Eddy Merckx Aryton Senna

Don’t know enough sporting history to fully list and rank sportsmen, but here a few important names that seem conspiciously absent from that list, in no particular order; Michael Phelps Steffi Graf Kareem Abdul Jabbar Dhyan Chand Bradman Sergei Bubka Sachin Babe Ruth That Canadian Ice Hockey player Michael Johnson Michael Schumacher Tiger Woods

Don’t know enough sporting history to fully list and rank sportsmen, but here a few important names that seem conspiciously absent from that list, in no particular order; Michael Phelps Steffi Graf Kareem Abdul Jabbar Dhyan Chand Bradman Sergei Bubka Sachin Babe Ruth That Canadian Ice Hockey player Michael Johnson Michael Schumacher Tiger Woods
OF course MM, to be the in the top 10 list of sportsmen of all time, dont you have to be the leader in your sport atleast? Thats why I tried to keep 1 per sport, Woods I dont know, dont consider golf much of a sport as such. Dhyan Chand, Bubka, Gretzky are notable omissions.

^^ As much as I am overawed by what Messner accomplished' date=' I dont know if mountain climbing is a sport.[/quote'] That could be another discussion, but given that the names above had stuff like boxing and golf then I assumed we could certainly include mountaineering in there. And Messner was the baap Bradman of all mountaineers.

Shwetabh viz a viz mountaineering have you heard of "ice doctors"? http://blogs.discovery.com/everest_2009/2009/04/the-ice-doctors.html
Some of the sherpas have been nothing short of amazing. Most recently, during the K2 tragedy one of them went back up again to help rescue some people within a few hours of descending. People are recommended not to go back into the death zone for at the very least one month. And this guy made two trips and back within a few hours. He survived without any major injuries or permanent damage.