What Sachin Tendulkar has that Don Bradman didn’t - Atherton

afridi6666

Look at the response from a padosi. naz ali wrote: Its funny how people often try to demean the achievements of Sachin Tendulkar. As a Pakistan fan I cannot be accused of any bias. Sachin has achieved superhuman feats during his career against the greatest bowlers and the finest (Aus) team in the world. Ambrose, Walsh, wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Donald, Pollock, Mcgrath, Warne, Murali, Saqlain and the list goes on. Helmets are not just made for the use of sachin, to suggest the advantage of a helmet has helped him to score runs is laughable at best. Mr Atherton was a glorified blocker, boring the opposition bowlers and teams to sleep. What where his achievements? It really comes down to the fact a champion in one era will always be a champion in another. If Bradman had to deal with uncovered pitches, little protecttion than sachin had to deal with varied quality attacks, media and public pressure, its all relative really and my opinion is that Bradman is the greatest ever with Sachin not to far behind him. November 19, 2009 1:56 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk Recommend? (10) Report Abuse Permalink

Look at the response from a padosi. ]naz ali wrote: Its funny how people often try to demean the achievements of Sachin Tendulkar. As a Pakistan fan I cannot be accused of any bias. Sachin has achieved superhuman feats during his career against the greatest bowlers and the finest (Aus) team in the world. Ambrose, Walsh, wasim, Waqar, Shoaib, Donald, Pollock, Mcgrath, Warne, Murali, Saqlain and the list goes on. Helmets are not just made for the use of sachin, to suggest the advantage of a helmet has helped him to score runs is laughable at best. Mr Atherton was a glorified blocker, boring the opposition bowlers and teams to sleep. What where his achievements? It really comes down to the fact a champion in one era will always be a champion in another. If Bradman had to deal with uncovered pitches, little protecttion than sachin had to deal with varied quality attacks, media and public pressure, its all relative really and my opinion is that Bradman is the greatest ever with Sachin not to far behind him. November 19, 2009 1:56 PM GMT on community.timesonline.co.uk Recommend? (10) Report Abuse Permalink
Reported for Abuse, must've been an Indian posting as a Pakistani :--D
This week Sachin Tendulkar celebrated 20 years as an international cricketer. There followed a slew of paeans to the India batsman’s longevity and greatness from some of the best writers on the game. The only discordant note came from Kapil Dev' date= who believes, oddly, that Tendulkar has failed to make full use of his talent. They should make Kapil a judge on Strictly Come Dancing.
anyone notice that...?

Some other good responses in the times link to this in the 'comments' - P B wrote: I don't often disagree with Athers, but if we must accept that all modern sportsmen and women must be regarded as inferior to previous generations, we might as well just watch repeats. Today, we have some of the very best proponents of sports, of all time. But perhaps we should ignore Lewis Hamilton because F1 is safer than it used to be. And Federer because racquets are better than before. Modern footballers get it all the time; apparently modern footballers have evolved metatarsal bones because players of yore never had them. Why not ignore Mayweather and Pacquiao, too? What makes boxing exempt? They operate under stricter conditions, have immediate access to doctors at ringside and superior training methods. - S. Sin wrote: Would Federer have been able to play half the shots he does with a wooden racket? Would Bradman have averaged 90+ if he played 400+ODIs while scoring 17000+ runs over 20 years? I think not.

Kevin Stevens wrote: Sorry Athers but I disagree entirely with your article. Modern sportsmen don't get enough credit. This is true of cricket, F1, golf, tennis and pretty much every sport. The old timers always complain about how tennis courts were quicker, golf clubs today are better, F1 has taken away the courage required and this applies in cricket as well. The likes of Federer, Schumacher, Woods, Lara and Tendulkar are always going to be at a disadvantage. Going by your argument, the earlier generations were always better. I don't think so! I've followed the game for a few decades now and I don't agree with the old timers. The modern batsman has so much of analysis done on him that it is difficult to be successful. The sheer volume of cricket that they play is also tough since they have to maintain their performance over different formats through the year. Add to that, different playing conditions since cricket is played in more countries today. I remember reading a piece by someone who watched Bradman and he said that there is no way that Bradman would have scored 300 in a day in modern cricket. You score 2 fours and there is a sweeper. There wasn't a sweeper when Bradman went past 300 in Leeds! Sure, there are some chaps who play today who wouldn't have done as well. This includes the likes of Hayden and Sehwag. However, I think that the best of an era would have done as well. The likes of Tendulkar and Lara are fabulous players and they would have adapted their game. Why don't you write an article about how batsmen in the earlier era would have adapted to the demands of the modern game? I hate this assumption that guys in the earlier era were better than the curent ones. Some are and some aren't. You can't generalise to such an extent and comparisons between players who played at different times is often pointless for this reason. I enjoyed watching Viv bat much like I absolutely love watching Tendulkar bat today. Where is the need for comparisons?

Haha Excused on this one Shwetabh :P Its a good thing to not know what Strictly.. is. (though im not sure what Athers meant by 'he saying he should be a judge on it) Im sure they have an equivalent in the states -Dancing with the stars ...? I just meant to highlight the Kapil saying SRT not fulfilled his potential part.

Haha I just meant to highlight the Kapil saying SRT not fulfilled his potential part.
I agree that SRT hasn't fulfilled his potential (by that I mean the potential to be unequivocally the best ever). For a batsman of SRT's talent, he should be averaging in the mid-60s and not mid-50s. I dont agree with Kapil's philosophy though that SRT should always look to dominate.

Atherton waas a mediocre player at his best and so is his writing.the man doesnt qualify to judge tendulkar neither as a batsman nor as a sports writer...he seems to have been stuck with the job of writing an article praising a man who is better than his whole english team combined.He is one of thse men wh cant believe that an asian team and batsman have made the englishmen look average on most days,unable to find a comparision in his country he goes down under(pun intended) to dig out a legendary batsman and then brings out the most stupidiest of comparisions seen in modern day journalism....in one word the article is PATHETIC and makes the articles in padosi papers look like glorious tributes.

There was no jockey underwears during Bradman era as well, can that also be a reason for batsmen performing better these days? There were no skins or under armour in Bradman days, does that also help the current cricketers more? There were no frequent fliers in Bradman days, did that keep Bradman fresh game after game? There were no ODIs in Bradman's days, perhaps it may have helped Bradman given he only had to bat one way through out his career? Bradman didn't have 1 billion people placing their hope on him to get a 100 every time he went out to bat, perhaps that helped Bradman to just play naturally without having to worry about the outcome? The list can go on and on and on. Atherton has to decide if he still wants to live in the 1930s. In that case he should take up horse ride across towns, give up taking a flight, using internet and so forth. It was silly to suggest there were no helmets so he was better. I can understand if runs scored is used as a barometer but to suggest he didn't have a piece of equipment is downright stupid. I'd say why weren't people in 1930s enterprising enough to bring out a helmet even after the bodyline? This is a problem with lot of past English players such as Boycott, Atherton and the likes. They can't decide whether they want to move on or still keep on harping about the last century and continue living under the crown.

Bradman didn't have 1 billion people placing their hope on him to get a 100 every time he went out to bat, perhaps that helped Bradman to just play naturally without having to worry about the outcome?
Is Yao Ming the greatest basketballer the world has ever seen, better than wilt chamberlin and michael jordan because he has the hopes of 2billion chinese and a bunch of texans on his back? Jackie Chan must be a better actor than Al Pacino too because each time he performs he has the added pressure of all of china expecting him to do it well....