Harmeet Singh II : The 17 years old left arm spinner from Mumbai

ViruRulez

109951.1.jpg His name is Harmeet Singh but I have mentioned no. 2 in order not to be confused with the DC Harmeet Singh. I was going through the Ranji scorecards right now and it seems he had just made first-class and overall debut in the last Mumbai match. He took 7 wickets for Mumbai in the match on his debut. He is only 17 years old and so might be a good prospect at least for the U-19 team. Thought of making a thread for this new kid too as all other prospects have got their own threads. :dance::dance::dance:
Well done to the guy' date=' [b']but let's face it left arm spinners are useless. They'll never be world beaters at the international level. We should find more wrist spinners - the only kind of spinners worth keeping in a side.
Tell that to the Pakistanis. :giggle: But I think left hand spinners can be effective depending on their skill.
Left arm Jadeja, Ojha part time Yuvi Offie Harbhajan, Powar Leggie Chawla, Mishra Fringe players Ashwin (offie) Monish Parmer (offie) New faces Srinivas (left arm)
1. Jadeja, Ojha are not made for tests and we found that the hard way, in case of Ojha. 2. Powar is finished as an offie for India as he can't even stay firt for the entire Ranji season. And hence no competition to Bhajji whose performance has been mediocre at best in the recent times. 3. Chawla can't be effective till he starts having leg break as his stock delivery, not googly. Mishra is the only one who seems to have the potential for good performance in tests. 4. Fringe is not impressive at all. Permar has been dropped because he is a chucker. Ashwin or others are nowhere near top wicket takers. So, don't think we have many reasons to smile, even at the 'spin cupboard'.
Well done to the guy' date=' but let's face it [b']left arm spinners are useless. They'll never be world beaters at the international level. We should find more wrist spinners - the only kind of spinners worth keeping in a side.
This begs the question - why are there no top-notch left-arm wrist spinners? Were there any? I just can't recall.
1. Jadeja, Ojha are not made for tests and we found that the hard way, in case of Ojha. 2. Powar is finished as an offie for India as he can't even stay firt for the entire Ranji season. And hence no competition to Bhajji whose performance has been mediocre at best in the recent times. 3. Chawla can't be effective till he starts having leg break as his stock delivery, not googly. Mishra is the only one who seems to have the potential for good performance in tests. 4. Fringe is not impressive at all. Permar has been dropped because he is a chucker. Ashwin or others are nowhere near top wicket takers. So, don't think we have many reasons to smile, even at the 'spin cupboard'.
How can you say Powar is finished off as an offie? Is there a retirement age for off spinners? Parmer action corrected and come back. Srilankans are more than decent players against spin. Ojha did a good job against them. He will only improve. R Jadeja picked up 42 wickets only last season. Suddenly he is not good for Tests? How? based on your observation in ODIs and T20s. May be he bowls flat in ODIs. Did you see the ball that dismissed Hussey? Very very pessimistic and poor evaluation on your part.
This begs the question - why are there no top-notch left-arm wrist spinners? Were there any? I just can't recall.
My "theory" is that it has to do with a couple of factors - the difficulty in controlling wrist spin and the abundance of right handed batsmen at the amateur level. Any wrist spinner is bound to deliver his share of long hops and full tosses because it's such a difficult delivery to control and the abundance of right hand batsmen just makes it worse for him. A right arm wrist spinner will still be at an advantage given that even if he goes for runs, he'll pick up wickets. A left arm spinner will be turning into the batsman - always easier to play. Right arm finger spinners can get away with accuracy, but left arm wrist spinner have no hiding place.
How can you say Powar is finished off as an offie? Is there a retirement age for off spinners? Parmer action corrected and come back. Srilankans are more than decent players against spin. Ojha did a good job against them. He will only improve. R Jadeja picked up 42 wickets only last season. Suddenly he is not good for Tests? How? based on your observation in ODIs and T20s. May be he bowls flat in ODIs. Did you see the ball that dismissed Hussey? Very very pessimistic and poor evaluation on your part.
Watched Powar this season in the earlier round--the match in which he got injured. It didn't look good. Just in the earlier round, he had taken crucial wickets for Mumbai. Hence, I watched him with interest, to find if he could give a competition to Bhajji or not. But he disappointed. He was quite wayward and far far away from international standard. Parmar--what has been his performance after corrected action? I can't remember any. Can you? Ojha had done a terrific job in the ODIs against the same Lankans in SL when Bhajji was injured. But he was left out of his depth in the Bombay match. Still he is the one who is closest to the test cap after Mishra. Jadeja-- he'll be impotent in tests with that kind of bowling , don't you think? Batsmen won't be in a hurry to send him in the stands and he'll get clueless. I think, I'm generally very excited to see a young talent. But this bunch doesn't enthuse me much. I'll be glad to be proved wrong by them though.