Ponting and short pitch bowling

He is getting out to the short ball frequently these days, but the question is, how many batsmen even play the pull/hook shot these days? Most batsmen refrain from playing it because of the risk associated with playing that shot. Consequently, the number of their dismissals caused due to short-pitched bowling maybe less, but it does not make them better players of short-pitched bowling when compared to those who actually play that shot and get dismissed.

He is getting out to the short ball frequently these days' date=' but the question is, how many batsmen even play the pull/hook shot these days? Most batsmen refrain from playing it because of the risk associated with playing that shot. Consequently, the number of their dismissals caused due to short-pitched bowling maybe less, but it does not make them better players of short-pitched bowling when compared to those who actually play that shot and get dismissed.[/quote'] Yea.. But just to prove a point playing pull shot off even the balls that were not supposed to be pulled makes him a bad puller. He should atleast try to roll the wrist like Dravid.
Yea.. But just to prove a point playing pull shot off even the balls that were not supposed to be pulled makes him a bad puller. He should atleast try to roll the wrist like Dravid.
I havent been following Australia's matches closely these days, so I cannot really comment on the nature of his shots/dismissals.. But I do know that Pwnter is one of rare batsmen who even plays the shot these days.. P.S; Btw, a hook shot off the first ball you've faced when the team has lost an early wicket is super dumb.
it does not make them better players of short-pitched bowling when compared to those who actually play that shot and get dismissed.
Wrong. It doesnt make them better players of the hook shot but make them better overall players of the short ball since they have the better chances of survival in the end. I'm sure everyone would prefer Katich-esque leaves and blows on the body rather than airy-fairy hook shots like the one Ponting just played if it means a higher score in the end of the day.
Wrong. It doesnt make them better players of the hook shot but make them better overall players of the short ball since they have the better chances of survival in the end. I'm sure everyone would prefer Katich-esque leaves and blows on the body rather than airy-fairy hook shots like the one Ponting just played if it means a higher score in the end of the day.
Sure, not playing the hook/pull shot at all may dramatically increase the survival chances of a batsmen at the crease, but the discussion here isnt about the merits/de-merits of that shot selection. Its about who are the good players of that shot and who isnt. My contention is that just because someone plays that frequently and hence is dismissed due to it more, does not make others, who do not play that shot at all, better exponents of that particular shot.
Sure' date=' not playing the hook/pull shot at all may dramatically increase the survival chances of a batsmen at the crease, but the discussion here isnt about the merits/de-merits of that shot selection. Its about who are the good players of that shot and who isnt. My contention is that just because someone plays that frequently and hence is dismissed due to it more, does not make others, who do not play that shot at all, better exponents of that particular shot.[/quote'] Which was exactly my point. This is you about an hour ago (;
it does not make them better players of short-pitched bowling when compared to those who actually play that shot and get dismissed.
Guest Hiten.

That was a horrible shot that he played and would acutally put raina to shame. Not only was that a ' nothing shot' but a totally irresponsible one after making one of the idiotic decision to bat on a pitch that would test a fragile pakstani lineup and assisst his (recently struck golden form) bowling line up.

If Ishant Sharma started the downfall of Punter in 2008 , Roach seems to have put the final nail in the coffin. Punter's elbow has taken a serious knock and he doesnt look confident while batting. Also he is using an arm guard and doesnt seem comfortable with that at all. Also with teams bowling short to him, he seems to be trying to prove the point that he isnt scared of short pitch stuff, why else would he start playing pulls/hooks so early in his innings?

Guest Hiten.
Another one by the best player of short pitch bowling :laugh:http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvpak09/engine/current/match/406200.html 3.5 caught! short ball, Ponting hooks it out in the air out to deep square leg, but there's a fielder out there in place for the hook shot and it's duly collected by Umar Gul diving forward to take an excellent catch. 2/2
Did you see his dismissal ? He actually played into the hands of Pakistan as they had placed a fielder for such miscued shot. There is no way he was (even) half committed into that shot.
Did you see his dismissal ? He actually played into the hands of Pakistan as they had placed a fielder for such miscued shot. There is no way he was (even) half committed into that shot.
Agree it was a pathetic shot. There was no conviction in the shot. Kinda just paddle-lifted up in the air
but what about the big Fat ego ? :((
Thats exactly what I was going to say. Ponting used to be a great player of short pitched stuff. Only Gilchrist played the short ball better than him among the players i have seen in the last decade. So he is refusing to accept that he could be dominated by short pitched bowling inspite of his age & elbow. Hardly a sign of maturity that you would expect from a player who has played test cricket for this long. Ponting has to simply accept that he is not as good at playing short pitched stuff anymore. When Mohd Sami out thinks you, the alarm has to go off.:haha:
I just caught the highlights and saw what he tried to do on the first ball :hysterical: On this very venue Tendulkar cut out the cover drive to score an unbeaten 301 runs - let's see if the adopted Paki can make 30 runs for two dismissals here.