Windows 7 Laptop

fineleg

Do NOT get a Mac. They're overpriced crap. Mac fanboys are the most annoying people on the net after Jihadis. Also if anyone here suggests that they're good because they're Unix machines they haven't tried debugging SMB network issues on a Mac or tried configuring them in a classic Unix fashion. There's no need for 6-8 gb of RAM unless you're doing something that involves complex operations on large data sets e.g. 3d rendering, complex statisitical analysis. If you're only going to use if for web browsing, email and the odd film then 2-4 gb is more than enough. If you want a gaming machine get a desktop or a console.
Agree with this post. 1. Macs are over-hyped, overpriced. 2. Anything more than 4 MB RAM is usually unnecessary (Even 4 is usually on the higher side for most, 2 is enough) unless you are going to use it for graphics/3d designing, animation or high graphics games.

Macs are awesome :icflove: and I never had to configure some obsucre networking settings :dontknow: I am done with Windows and the 20 thousand problems each of its release is born with. Linux OSes are too ****ing hard to set up right for me, despite me giving it more than few tries over the years. Macs let me do my work in the easiest possible way, and I don't spend any time messing around.

Macs are awesome :icflove: and I never had to configure some obsucre networking settings :dontknow: I am done with Windows and the 20 thousand problems each of its release is born with. Linux OSes are too ****ing hard to set up right for me, despite me giving it more than few tries over the years. Macs let me do my work in the easiest possible way, and I don't spend any time messing around.
++

Whatever, Apple are worse for lock-in than Microsoft. They control every aspect of your computing experience. No thanks. Their networking implementations are TERRIBLE even though they are based off BSD and GPL software like Samba they STILL manage to **** it up.

Whatever' date=' Apple are worse for lock-in than Microsoft. They control every aspect of your computing experience. No thanks. Their networking implementations are TERRIBLE even though they are based off BSD and GPL software like Samba they STILL manage to **** it up.[/quote'] I understand where you are coming from, and if someone needs a system open to tweaks, Macs are probably the worst. But not everyone needs to tweak their computer. Computer geeks hate macs with passion, but regular janta like me enjoy the advantages it has to offer. It is definitely more productive and less of headache for me than both windows and linux so far..

1 thing I have noticed here, that anytime someone asked a simple computer question ( whatever help or review ) - some ppl get very aggressive in their response - its like - fk everyone I know about computers, listen to me - I am an expert - this is way to do it. Why is this? lack of respect in life or you just want someone to hear you out? A person opens a simple thread but the responses have to be sarcastic and every tees maar khan Indian techie comes on a high horse trying to complicate it Kya saaala problem kya hain

1 thing I have noticed here, that anytime someone asked a simple computer question ( whatever help or review ) - some ppl get very aggressive in their response - its like - fk everyone I know about computers, listen to me - I am an expert - this is way to do it. Why is this? lack of respect in life or you just want someone to hear you out? A person opens a simple thread but the responses have to be sarcastic and every tees maar khan Indian techie comes on a high horse trying to complicate it Kya saaala problem kya hain
You do know this post of yours is along the lines of "tees mar khan" :aetsch: Will I get b& now ? :pray:

I am going to Croma looking for a laptop tomorrow. Will post what I find out here.
Thanks Dominik, that will be much appreciated. If you find out anything about the Dell series post that too.

Thanks to the posters who gave useful replies so far... I looked around - HP dv6t quad seems quite good http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/cto_store/notebooks/WM828AV The only con seems to be bit heavier...the lighter option is HP dv4i - But dv4i lacks a few features (ports, processor...) http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Ultra-Portable&series_name=dv4i_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/Ultra-Portable/dv4i_series dial_100, I think you got the dv4i ? Is that right?

Thanks to the posters who gave useful replies so far... I looked around - HP dv6t quad seems quite good http://www.shopping.hp.com/store/cto_store/notebooks/WM828AV The only con seems to be bit heavier...the lighter option is HP dv4i - But dv4i lacks a few features (ports, processor...) http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Ultra-Portable&series_name=dv4i_series&jumpid=in_R329_prodexp/hhoslp/psg/notebooks/Ultra-Portable/dv4i_series dial_100, I think you got the dv4i ? Is that right?
I think HP just updated their laptops. I was going to get the dv6 with core duo with ATI 4650 (around 1100$) when i got time to go to a shop but i can't find that model anymore on their website. I did hold that laptop in my hand last month and its not that heavy (but then again my current laptop weighs north of 6 lbs). Its looks good enough and i like HP touchpad. But, be careful that although its 15.6 " screen, the height is quiet small as its really wide. I liked samsung laptops with i7 (over 1500$) but graphics card was weak.