Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010

Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010  

1. 1.

• With an Hour Left Today
    • Tomorrow After Lunch
    • Other

Karan, Kolkatta will be an important milestone for Indian cricket. I am pretty sure India will prepare ar at least try and prepare a turner and go in with two seamers and two spinners. If SA can put one across India again despite that, it might, just might spell the end of the two spinners selection policy that has held India back for decades now. It's not that I think India will magically produce three world beating seamers, but almost anything is better than 2 mediocre twirlers. Further, with a balanced 3 seam-1 spin attack, we might see some better tracks from BCCI- better for the game. It's happened in other countries. After Gavaskar's domination of West Indian spinners- Jumadeen, Gibbs, Noriega in the 70s, West Indies didn't pick two spinners ever again. It served them well for the next 25 years. No great side has ever achieved world domination by giving pre-eminence to spinners. The other thing an Indian defeat might achieve is to reduce interest in IPL. It's no coincidence that IPL's popularity has coincided with India's halcyon days. Once the public realise these are ordinary cricketers they are worshipping, hopefully the frenzy will fall away. A semblance of sense will be restored to the game, pay will match performance. I'd never wish defeat on my own side, but Indian cricket needs a purge. The South Africans, with their wonderful reliance on pace and love of Test cricket, despite being the most underpaid cricketers among all major nations, setting new standards despite years of international isolation, regular loss of prized cricketers to the English national team and to the Kolpak system, are the ones to do it. If you are a true lover of cricket, wish a win for the better side. Only good will follow.

Karan, Kolkatta will be an important milestone for Indian cricket. I am pretty sure India will prepare ar at least try and prepare a turner and go in with two seamers and two spinners. If SA can put one across India again despite that, it might, just might spell the end of the two spinners selection policy that has held India back for decades now. It's not that I think India will magically produce three world beating seamers, but almost anything is better than 2 mediocre twirlers. Further, with a balanced 3 seam-1 spin attack, we might see some better tracks from BCCI- better for the game. It's happened in other countries. After Gavaskar's domination of West Indian spinners- Jumadeen, Gibbs, Noriega in the 70s, West Indies didn't pick two spinners ever again. It served them well for the next 25 years. No great side has ever achieved world domination by giving pre-eminence to spinners. The other thing an Indian defeat might achieve is to reduce interest in IPL. It's no coincidence that IPL's popularity has coincided with India's halcyon days. Once the public realise these are ordinary cricketers they are worshipping, hopefully the frenzy will fall away. A semblance of sense will be restored to the game, pay will match performance. I'd never wish defeat on my own side, but Indian cricket needs a purge. The South Africans, with their wonderful reliance on pace and love of Test cricket, despite being the most underpaid cricketers among all major nations, setting new standards despite years of international isolation, regular loss of prized cricketers to the English national team and to the Kolpak system, are the ones to do it. If you are a true lover of cricket, wish a win for the better side. Only good will follow.
Hakim lukmaan with the cure:hail:

Won't make a huge deal of difference, Thal. Laxman isn't the batsman he was, but then who is? Dravid had a providential injury to spare his blushes. The injury has prolonged his career, at least until our next ritual humiliation away to SL and SA, after which, he'll hang up his gloves. We are simply not producing the cricketers to match our financial might. I told you long ago that the likes of Rohit Sharmas are journeymen. You didn't believe me. Indian cricket's outlook is inexorably gloomy. Batting, pace, spin...it doesn't matter. The cupboards are bare.

Won't make a huge deal of difference, Thal. Laxman isn't the batsman he was, but then who is? Dravid had a providential injury to spare his blushes. The injury has prolonged his career, at least until our next ritual humiliation away to SL and SA, after which, he'll hang up his gloves. We are simply not producing the cricketers to match our financial might. I told you long ago that the likes of Rohit Sharmas are journeymen. You didn't believe me. Indian cricket's outlook is inexorably gloomy. Batting, pace, spin...it doesn't matter. The cupboards are bare.
that sounds worst than the prognosis of cancer patient....:((:((
that sounds worst than the prognosis of cancer patient....:((:((
Don't worry, this isn't the first doomsday scenario being predicted by Dhondy after a big loss. Looking at the negatives of all things possible and magnifying them greatly. India played a poor test match, it's first poor match for more than 18 months and 16 tests, with it's entire champion middle order missing. It was one crazy afternoon of terrific swing bowling which put India on this route. Such things and collapses have happened to stronger line ups of South Africa and Australia frequently over the last year, but just because India had one poor session Laxman is finished, Dravid is dragging along. If Tendulkar had not scored in the second innings, then he would have been written off as well as he has been done in the past. Even the greatest of batting line ups have the occasional collapses - it's a pity we don't have the bowling to cover up for them. Watch India bounce back and wrest the number 1 ranking in a few days for a long long time to come.

'Next ritual' humilation suggests weve been humiliated there every time -which we havent in SL, and 2-1 last time round in SAf was no humiliation. The Likes of Saha and Badri hung around for a good while- heck even Zaheer did today. Laxman and Dravid were badly missed, theyve still got the technique to handle top class pace bowling

Shwetabh, you are way too intelligent to believe what you just wrote. And I didn't spend six years sharing moments like this with you not to be able to tell you to your face that you are in denial. Happens to the best.
Guess we'll just have to wait and watch for things to fold out. Till Tendulkar, Dravid, and Laxman are manning the middle order I don't see any of the doomsday scenarios becoming reality.

Giving too much credit to South Africa by Press This notion that India all of sudden have become useless and this South African team led by Smith are invincibles in a complete joke, yes they had great match but we were missing three batsmen in the middle order and same would have happened to them if they take out Kallis and Amla out of their team.We could have easily drawn this test match if all our The Steyn led bowling attack leaked 756 runs to Sri Lanka after getting bowled out for 169 and so for any team one match failure is not a big deal and we didn't have our 2 best players of pace bowling and the collapse started in first innings after that ball change and it swung more for them. http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/249193.html Our batting will regain its form and will put up a good show once laxman returns, it is bowling which needs improvement bhajji needs to dropped , he needs to be reminded that he cannot take his place as a guarantee if he does not perform, this guy in his last 3 tests is 4 for 289 and that just doesn't cut it.When Sehwag can be dropped why cant Bhajji be dropped from side if he comes back a better bowler good for him other wise we have look for new spinner anyway.

Steyn-gunned Board sends SOS for Eden turner, curator says no Before the dust could settle on the Nagpur pitch where India, rattled by Dale Steyn, lost the first Test to South Africa by an innings and six runs this afternoon, the Indian board sent an SOS to Kolkata, venue for the second Test starting Sunday. The BCCI said the pitch there should be a turner, tailormade for Team India. Eden Gardens refused. Eden Gardens curator Prabir Mukherjee said he received a call today from the BCCI office in Mumbai, asking him to prepare a turner for the February 14-18 match. “They (BCCI officials) called me today, requesting I come up with a pitch that will suit the Indian brand of cricket. Test cricket is meant to be played on good wickets. Can anyone please define what exactly is a turner? If you want the ball to turn square from day one, why do you need a curator? The Eden Gardens wicket will have even bounce and decent carry. Spinners will come into play as the match meanders along,†Mukherjee told The Indian Express. The curator said he would want a written directive from the BCCI in case they wanted to change the basic nature of the Eden Gardens pitch. When his comments were sought, BCCI Chief Administrative Officer Ratnakar Shetty said: “I am not aware of any such request.†In 2008, India levelled the series against South Africa after winning the final Test on an overtly spin-friendly pitch at Kanpur. With the game ending in three days, the match referee criticised the pitch in his report to the ICC, and BCCI was asked to explain. The Kolkata Test is being hosted by the Cricket Association of Bengal whose president Jagmohan Dalmiya isn’t part of the ruling group headed by BCCI chief Shashank Manohar. Mukherjee said that in the lead-up to the Test, the pressure on him is expected to mount. “In the past, more illustrious names have tried to persuade me to prepare a pitch of their liking. I am sure this time it will be no different. Kolkata is hosting a Test after two years and I don’t want a repeat of the Ferozeshah Kotla pitch fiasco,†he said. Earlier this year, the India-Sri Lanka ODI at Kotla had to be abandoned because of an under-prepared pitch

Look, I understand very few share the same opinion, if any, but whatever, let me speak my mind. If India produce a rank turner, South Africa are in no position to complain since they produced a seaming one to level their series against England. But try looking beyond that argument of "well, they did it, so its fair game if we do it, after all, we are well within our rights" So, let me get this straight; The worlds No 1 ranked team needs to produce a rank turner to beat an opposition, that too, on home turf to draw the series ? No one see anything wrong with this ? Are you going to do the same if a similar situation arises in then future ? The mark of a great team is to win from difficult positions. You would garner more respect if you fought valiantly and lost instead of producing such a pitch and won.