Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010

Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010  

1. 1.

• With an Hour Left Today
    • Tomorrow After Lunch
    • Other

Look, I understand very few share the same opinion, if any, but whatever, let me speak my mind. If India produce a rank turner, South Africa are in no position to complain since they produced a seaming one to level their series against England. But try looking beyond that argument of "well, they did it, so its fair game if we do it, after all, we are well within our rights" So, let me get this straight; The worlds No 1 ranked team needs to produce a rank turner to beat an opposition, that too, on home turf to draw the series ? No one see anything wrong with this ? Are you going to do the same if a similar situation arises in then future ? The mark of a great team is to win from difficult positions. You would garner more respect if you fought valiantly and lost instead of producing such a pitch and won.
This is not about proving to anyone that we are #1. We are. If we are not then who is ? The team that did the same against lowly England just last month? Did Aus at its peak ever give us a turning pitch? Did SA do that? This is not about, "well other did it too". This is about "Why the hell not". India, for decades has been known for spinning tracks. Why did we change in the last 10 years? All i want is to revert back to yesteryear tracks for international games. Besides why is a seaming pitch better than a spinning pitch ?
the Indian board sent an SOS to Kolkata, venue for the second Test starting Sunday. The BCCI said the pitch there should be a turner, tailormade for Team India. Eden Gardens refused.
I'm 200% sure that board would not have sent any such SOS for the type of pitch. BCCI is least interested in the result of test matches. All it wants is money without much hassle. If the TV rights are fetching it money, it is not bothered if Indian team wins or loses. So saying is board sent an SOS is a definite lie.
This is not about proving to anyone that we are #1. We are. If we are not then who is ? The team that did the same against lowly England just last month? Did Aus at its peak ever give us a turning pitch? Did SA do that? This is not about, "well other did it too". This is about "Why the hell not". India, for decades has been known for spinning tracks. Why did we change in the last 10 years? All i want is to revert back to yesteryear tracks for international games. Besides why is a seaming pitch better than a spinning pitch ?
See, no one would begrudge producing a pitch that plays to our strengths but you, I and anyone who follows the game with the slightest of interest know that the curator is instructed to produce a pitch that will make sure India will win, just as was done with Mumbai '04, Kanpur '08 etc, this basic fact you cannot deny no matter how much you sanitize the language. And tell me if we are the best, why do we would need to resort to such tactics ? Don't you have faith in your abilities, don't you back yourself to win under any circumstances ? Where has all that belief, faith gone ?
See' date=' no one would begrudge producing a pitch that plays to our strengths but you, I and anyone who follows the game with the slightest of interest know that the curator is [b']instructed to produce a pitch that will make sure India will win, just as was done with Mumbai '04, Kanpur '08 etc, this basic fact you cannot deny no matter how much you sanitize the language. And tell me if we are the best, why do we would need to resort to such tactics ? Don't you have faith in your abilities, don't you back yourself to win under any circumstances ? Where has all that belief, faith gone ?
Why did SA? While I certainly dont want a bad pitch ala Mumbai, a good "Indian" pitch should be a necessity for all tests at home. I dont understand why we have to please the other teams. The curators shouldnt be instructed to produce a pitch to make sure India will win, but it should be their job to produce a spinner friendly track whether the opposition is SA or SL. If at all, they should be instructed to produce green pitches for domestic games. Acc to Smith, they are #1...should they then award the last test to Eng on the basis that they got a pitch that suited them?
Why did SA? While I certainly dont want a bad pitch ala Mumbai' date=' a good "Indian" pitch should be a necessity for all tests at home. I dont understand why we have to please the other teams. [b']The curators shouldnt be instructed to produce a pitch to make sure India will win, but it should be their job to produce a spinner friendly track whether the opposition is SA or SL. If at all, they should be instructed to produce green pitches for domestic games. Acc to Smith, they are #1...should they then award the last test to Eng on the basis that they got a pitch that suited them?
But see, thats what this curator has been instructed to do for this test and for tests in the past.
If thats the case' date=' than I have nothing further to add. Surely, you didn't mean that ?[/quote'] I meant that the defualt pitches for homes games should be spinner friendly. I do mean that. Every country used to have an identity with regards to their pitches but in the last decade India have started tampering with the natural pitches to please cries of pitch tampering (funnily enough, never heard about Perth or Johannesburg). It should be BCCI's job to acclimatize domestic cricketers to green tracks in ranji tournaments and it should be left to the other boards to train their teams for spinning tracks.
I meant that the defualt pitches for homes games should be spinner friendly. I do mean that. Every country used to have an identity with regards to their pitches but in the last decade India have started tampering with the natural pitches to please cries of pitch tampering (funnily enough' date= never heard about Perth or Johannesburg). It should be BCCI's job to acclimatize domestic cricketers to green tracks in ranji tournaments and it should be left to the other boards to train their teams for spinning tracks.
Flat tracks when India is ahead but rank turners when India is behind ?
And tell me if we are the best' date= why do we would need to resort to such tactics ? Don't you have faith in your abilities, don't you back yourself to win under any circumstances ? Where has all that belief, faith gone ?
Perth, Dec 3 (IANS) Australia captain Ricky Ponting has been denied a green top at the Western Australia Cricket Association (WACA) Ground here for the first Test match against South Africa starting Dec 17. Ponting wanted one of the re-laid lively wickets in Perth for the first Test, but his wish was turned down by WACA curator Cam Sutherland. In that Test, Australia loaded its team for Perth with four quicks, including Shaun Tait, but was disappointed to discover a wicket that was not what had been expected and soon realised it would have been better off with a spinner. RICKY Ponting has been denied his wish and will not get one of the lively re-laid wickets in Perth for the Test match against South Africa. The captain said this week he felt "duped" when an old strip was used for the clash against India at the WACA Ground last year. But he will get something similar for the first Test against the Proteas beginning on December 17.
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24743124-23212,00.html

Bas. tard traitor Shashank Manohar shafted us by instructing the ground staff to prepare a grassy pitch against Aussies in 2004/05 at Nagpur against Australia because his pop Pawar lost the elections to Dalmiya and Ganguly was captain. Why is the Bengal cricket association deliberately acting against the nations interests this time ?

@ Gambit: See, this is a matter of introspection, just because others did it, doesn't mean you are under obligation to do it yourself. Why can't the curator be left to produce a pitch he would normally produce instead of being pressurized, bullied to produce one that would unfairly favor the Indians ? Bottom Line: India has to win and this curator has to produce such a pitch that will make India win; Nobody wants to question this ?

Flat tracks when India is ahead but rank turners when India is behind ?
No flat tracks and no rank turners like Mumbai. A good spinner friendly pitch is what is necessary for test cricket. Madras pitch til 2 years back is a good example. There is bounce and turn from day 1 but is still a good batting track and it doesnt deteriorate to unplayable even on day 5.
Laxman has a weakness against in-cutters pitched at a good length' date=' and Steyn will expose that. I have seen him play off the back-foot to such deliveries and get out on many occasions. I wouldn't send him at No.3 if we lose the first wicket for only a few runs.[/quote'] Here are just a few examples of what I am talking about. http://bit.ly/9lf2iQ http://bit.ly/bKRW5R http://bit.ly/dmepDA http://bit.ly/d0YlHS If there is one team that does it's homework really well, it is South Africa.

The funny thing is that even if the curator agrees and prepares a "spin friendly" track, our great spinners Dartbhajan & Math Teacher still gonna do jackshit. Instead of asking for Spinning pitch BCCI should concentrate on its efforts to replace these douchebags from the team..That'll actually help the teams cause..

Guest DeveGowda

Just prepare a Good result oriented track...This match feels like world cup FINAL... Let us hope for a Great mtach rather than just want to win at any cost..if our team is really Good then they will win without much thinking about Pitch....No need to be defensive.

@ Gambit: See, this is a matter of introspection, just because others did it, doesn't mean you are under obligation to do it yourself. Why can't the curator be left to produce a pitch he would normally produce instead of being pressurized, bullied to produce one that would unfairly favor the Indians ? Bottom Line: India has to win and this curator has to produce such a pitch that will make India win; Nobody wants to question this ?
Pray tell me, what is the advantage of playing a home series then?
Pray tell me' date=' what is the advantage of playing a home series then?[/quote'] You tell me what satisfaction you derive after playing on a pitch that has been instructed to make the home side win.
In 2008, India leveled the series against South Africa after winning the final Test on an overtly spin-friendly pitch at Kanpur. With the game ending in three days, the match referee criticized the pitch in his report to the ICC, and BCCI was asked to explain.
Spin the words and sanitize the language to your hearts content but you can't deny the fact that the curator is pressurized to produce the same pitch that was intentionally and purposefully doctored to make India win (Kanpur '08).. Use the right words, lets be very clear about the language. For the record, it doesn't matter if England did it, Australia did it, South Africa did it, the same logic applies to everyone.