1st ODI - Umpiring

vvvslaxman

India suffered more than SA because of umpires. Gibbs decision. We almost lost after posting 414 runs. Now this. This has become a habit for us. Why can't they maintain pressure from over 1 till 50th over. We also leaked 97 runs in 7 overs against Mills and Southee. India completely takes foot of the gas once victory is in sight. They don't sustain the pressure till the job is done.

1st ODI - Umpiring Though there were no howlers, there were a couple of marginal calls. Especially towards the end. Even though small errors, they got magnified because of how close the game was. Gibbs looked out LBW but not given. Marginal call, went in SA's favor. Gibbs was clearly out caught behind, went in SA's favor. Morkel looked plumb but he may have nicked it. Marginal, went in India's favor. Nehra's last ball in the penultimate over, clearly wide, went in India's favor. Sachin Tendulkar's boundary stop. Marginal, went India's favor. At the end of the day, was it balanced? Fair question to ask. Innit?

To be quite frank, our umpires are not world class and I don't think any of these wannabes deserve a chance to stand in an important match, also I don't like Sachin's fielding, if it was let's say Billy Bowden, Rudi or Tom Cruise that would have been declared a four. Thank God Gibbs didn't score a big one, or else we would have seen effigies of the umpires burning right now. The bottom line is the better team won under the world's best Test captain.

Had tht stop by sachin given 4 then Parnell would be on non strikers end .. So Parnell had better chance to finish the game when on strike .. I really was hoping tht umpires give it as a 4 ... Apart from tht there were 2 striaght forward decision which were denied to us.. In first over Gibbs was plumb LBW and then in 2nd over he was clearly caught behind ..

To be quite frank' date=' our umpires are not world class and I don't think any of these wannabes deserve a chance to stand in an important match, also I don't like Sachin's fielding, if it was let's say Billy Bowden, Rudi or [b']Tom Cruise that would have been declared a four. Thank God Gibbs didn't score a big one, or else we would have seen effigies of the umpires burning right now. The bottom line is the better team won under the world's best Test captain.
Tom Cruise is a cricket umpire? :omg:
I don't agree. that Jump from Sachin should have been a 4 for S.A I can tell for sure if the tables were turned, we would have cried about it whole day There was also a wide not given in the end
I agree on that but we were also at the receiving end on a few occasions .. but yes the Sachin one should have been 4 though SA would have probably lost the match still because then Parnell would have been off strike and Lagevelt would not have been able to score 3 runs ... they were bound to lose anyways if that was given a 4 I agree that we played better cricket and deserved to win .. anyways we were missing at least 3 major players and yet played brilliantly while SA only missed Smith .. we played brilliantly throughout the match except the death overs
My two cents - did you watch that replay closely? Sachin Tendulkar was in no position to touch the ball without touching the rope. That much was amply clear in that case. That was a definite boundary - no doubt at all.
I don't think you can be so sure that it is a four from the angle shown. What might seem as almost touching the boundary rope could in fact be up to one foot away from the boundary when shown from a top view.
I don't think you can be so sure that it is a four from the angle shown. What might seem as almost touching the boundary rope could in fact be up to one foot away from the boundary when shown from a top view.
Well, nothing was absolutely sure. Which is why the 3rd umpire got away. It is just my opinion that that was a boundary. Based on the replays that I saw, even without a top angle, I consider it physically impossible for Tendulkar's right hand and right part of the body to not have touched the ropes as he made contact with the ball.
Well' date=' nothing was absolutely sure. Which is why the 3rd umpire got away. It is just my opinion that that was a boundary. Based on the replays that I saw, even without a top angle, [b']I consider it physically impossible for Tendulkar's right hand and right part of the body to not have touched the ropes as he made contact with the ball.
Again, as you say, your observation is based on a view from a parallax angle. You cannot consider it being impossible based on that view.

Can anyone explain why the Sachin's jump should have been four? Here is the ICC rule regarding third umpire descisions on boundaries. The statement was amde to clarify Dhoni's dismisaal VS West Indies but holds true in this case too http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/250345.html However, if the replays are inconclusive, the benefit of the doubt will be given to the fielder, which means that no boundary will be awarded due to lack of evidence. We dont cry and moan if a third umpire favours a batsman in an inconclusive run-out call then why are we upset so much in this case? Was there conclusive evidence of a boundary?

Well' date=' nothing was absolutely sure. Which is why the 3rd umpire got away. It is just my opinion that that was a boundary. Based on the replays that I saw, even without a top angle, I consider it physically impossible for Tendulkar's right hand and right part of the body to not have touched the ropes as he made contact with the ball.[/quote'] Yes but was there conclusive video evidence of the same? If say a run-out call had similar evidence wouldnt the umpire have ruled in favour of the batsmen? What makes this one different?