Is IPL hurting Indian cricket?

Feed

Is IPL hurting Indian cricket?  

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

It has been 4 years since IPL began. We have won the ODI WC, are number 1 in ODIs and still people claim it "affects" Indian cricket. LOL! Ofc, ANY extra cricket is going to expose players to injury. By that logic, one could say ODIs hurt test cricket, test cricket hurts ODIs. etc.
Or the Ranji trophy or other forms of domestic cricket where players have a risk of getting injured as well. Also, there have been players who have been injured in net practice, lets stop having nets as well. Our players should only play international matches and nothing else.
Ok Mishra, Iknowu and someone, Since you guys are too lazy enough to read the thread and then answer the questions, Just go through following posts and answer the questions/concerns raised in the following posts. Hope at least you guys can read this much!
Yeah, I didnt decided to take new avatar. ICF forum has to accept its fan the way he is. This Forum cant judge if some one is fit to be indian cricket fan or not. Agree, I got the message from your consolidated post. Before IPL bashing please accept that t20 is cricket. Just different format but equally entertaining and hair raising. Bhai, Read all you concern, to me looked like most valid concern of yours is injuries and tiredness caused due to IPL will actually hamper our international effort. Totally agree with that. Last time I lsaw our team failing miserably in England T20 worlcup. Unfortunately I had all our tickets. Couldnt find buyer for semifinal tickets. I am sure they didnt wanted that to happen and effect of world cup both early exits and victories, BCCI is wiser. How can you make players of next generation without rubbing their shoulders with best players of the world and all time great. The good ones will absorb most from two month annual IPL boot camp. Money does matters. No one is saint. All of Carribeans started playing baseball and basketball to play in America. I would rather prefer to watch a group of stars battling against each other in a nail biting finish then a bunch of average players struggling against a bunch of greats in a meaningless series because ICC thinks thats how cricket can grow.
It has been 4 years since IPL began. We have won the ODI WC, are number 1 in tests and still people claim it "affects" Indian cricket. LOL! And a bigger LOL at those who claim players don't participate in the IPL voluntarily. Look at a guy like Ganguly. No one wanted him, yet he wanted to play sooo badly in the IPL and he has been there and done it all in international cricket. Players love the IPL, be it for the money or the fun or whatever. If a guy like Tendulkar can give up on international T20, he sure can tell the BCCI/Ambanis to heck with the IPL if he wanted to. Ofc, ANY extra cricket is going to expose players to injury. By that logic, one could say ODIs hurt test cricket, test cricket hurts ODIs. etc.
Or the Ranji trophy or other forms of domestic cricket where players have a risk of getting injured as well. Also' date=' there have been players who have been injured in net practice, lets stop having nets as well. Our players should only play international matches and nothing else.[/quote'] The point is not the IPL alone, but the fact that it really crams the schedule up, domestically too as Chandan pointed out above. If we did not have a tour of WI a week after the IPL ended I dont think any of us would complain. They should not have toured WI, or at least scrapped the ODIs. If not that limit the actual IPL participation of the senior player to reduce workload and give them a chance to recover. But surely we enjoy international cricket-test cricket in particular more- so if it is a choice between the two... In effect it comes down to totally farcical scheduling by the BCCI. It is not going anywhere, so reduce the International cricket being played to compensate, we however are player more and more. Shoehorning matches into any free days the players have. Its not just the one off injuries, but the long term strain on mind and body of non stop cricket. Not to mention IPL partying! Our success has come despite the IPL. The effect of it is clear now that we are touring WI and worse still maybe England with a side shorn of key players. Simply because they have not had a chance to rest and recover from injuries. Maybe the players do want to play it, in which case the factor is simple- money. Gangulys example is not the best as he is not an international cricketer anymore, he needs something to stave off boredom FC cricket is necessary as a far better gauge of how/whether a player is suitable for test cricket, IPL is a money making venture with no bearing on how good a player is for India- Asnodkar, Dinda and Gony are proof of that. DOnt ban it, but limit how much Indias senior players play in it. Maybe force them to play half and compensate them the monies lost.

They can reduce the number of games by dividing into 2 groups. I would not blame IPL because of injuries. It can happen anywhere. But if we want to eliminate fatigue factor we need reduction of games. Also you should try to have more games on a given day. Atleast 2.

The point is not the IPL alone, but the fact that it really crams the schedule up, domestically too as Chandan pointed out above. If we did not have a tour of WI a week after the IPL ended I dont think any of us would complain. They should not have toured WI, or at least scrapped the ODIs. If not that limit the actual IPL participation of the senior player to reduce workload and give them a chance to recover. But surely we enjoy international cricket-test cricket in particular more- so if it is a choice between the two... In effect it comes down to totally farcical scheduling by the BCCI. It is not going anywhere, so reduce the International cricket being played to compensate, we however are player more and more. Shoehorning matches into any free days the players have. Its not just the one off injuries, but the long term strain on mind and body of non stop cricket. Not to mention IPL partying! Our success has come despite the IPL. The effect of it is clear now that we are touring WI and worse still maybe England with a side shorn of key players. Simply because they have not had a chance to rest and recover from injuries. Maybe the players do want to play it, in which case the factor is simple- money. Gangulys example is not the best as he is not an international cricketer anymore, he needs something to stave off boredom FC cricket is necessary as a far better gauge of how/whether a player is suitable for test cricket, IPL is a money making venture with no bearing on how good a player is for India- Asnodkar, Dinda and Gony are proof of that. DOnt ban it, but limit how much Indias senior players play in it. Maybe force them to play half and compensate them the monies lost.
I thought answer is obvious. But looks like it isnt.So question is how do we reduce international series. We are part of ICC. We cant reduce the series. So what we do. We create more players of International class.We can create not 15 but a pool of about 50 players. We retain number one test status and odi champ status by playing them 50 players wisely. Yeah current pool is more of 25 players but it will just keep growing. All we do is avoid IPL before world cups, Ora a series against top 3-4 test playing nations

If it was not IPL,Indian team would have been playing any other series at this time,such is Indian team's calendar.Injury can be caused anytime,anywhere.As vvvs said try reducing the no,. of games and stop blaming the IPL.

I thought answer is obvious. But looks like it isnt.So question is how do we reduce international series. We are part of ICC. We cant reduce the series. So what we do. We create more players of International class.We can create not 15 but a pool of about 50 players. We retain number one test status and odi champ status by playing them 50 players wisely. Yeah current pool is more of 25 players but it will just keep growing. All we do is avoid IPL before world cups' date=' Ora a series against top 3-4 test playing nations[/quote'] Well you won't retain number one status by diluting the talent pool.

With Gambhir's injury situation, it is clear that IPL is going to take Indian cricket to the cleaners. The problem is that it has become an ego issue for the elites ( by that I mean the educated middle class and higher ) who for some odd reason are relating the IPL with India growth strory and India's power in world cricket. As for the first part, as per latest figures,40% of Indian population earns below Rs 20 per day. That figue is close to 80% by some estimates. As for the second part, India is a powerhouse in world cricket with or without IPL. What is it contributing ? The quality of cricket is poor by any standards. The format is least productive from a young player's perspective be it his technique or temperament. We have seen young Indian players get distracted by the all glamour, money and parties. So much for encouraging talent. We have seen Indian players playing through IPL and opting out, getting injured or resting for India games. There is not one talent in 4 years that has come through IPL and made mark in Indian team or cemented a place, not one. My prediction that Indian cricket will bleed in days and years to come. The so called era that we are seeking for this greatest ever Indian side will never come. This is as much as you should be content with. Negative much ? Yeah, because my heart only bleeds for Indian cricket and it is painful to see it making the wrong decisions and going down the drain which it will with the great players leaving the scene and IPL stars taking over, rest assured.

The fundamental issue should have come up in first IPL edition when Dhoni decided to play IPL and skip SL tour with his being "burnt out". What can be more disgraceful ? This isn't about being pro or anti Dhoni' date=' this is about having the best Indian team possible[/quote'] At that time I raised the point how dhoni missed a TEST series to rest for IPl. I was disgusted at time and still am. Sadly so called test cricket fans on this site shot me down at time and backed dhoni for missing test series for his country so he would be rested for IPL. Sadly it seems players more focused on IPL now. I have bad feeling for england tour with burn out issues. Lets face it , if it not was for IPL , then veeru and gambhir would be totally fit and raring to go for windies tour. Now they will miss that tour and may miss england tour. If we lose england test series, then I blame IPL and will be furious

IMO...IPL is not to be blamed....because I m sure..if there was no IPL...BCCI was going to fill this time with some other series. IPL is good for Indian cricket. It expose quite a lot of cricketers to higher pressure situation...allow them to play with & against top quality crickets (even if its T20 & not ODI/Test), & get good support staff that is mostly missing in domestic circuits...not to mention it also allows u to get noticed. Warner & S Marsh get Aus ticket after IPL performances...Valthaty & Rahul Sharma will be keenly watched by Indian selectors during next season domestic games to see if they are good enough for Team India. Not to forget that IPL also allows these players to earn quite a lot of money. Agreed not everybody are in the same bracket...but then it gives u the chance to perform now..& increase ur value in the future. Injuries can happen anytime in sport. Blaming IPL is a joke

At that time I raised the point how dhoni missed a TEST series to rest for IPl. I was disgusted at time and still am. Sadly so called test cricket fans on this site shot me down at time and backed dhoni for missing test series for his country so he would be rested for IPL. Sadly it seems players more focused on IPL now. I have bad feeling for england tour with burn out issues. Lets face it , if it not was for IPL , then veeru and gambhir would be totally fit and raring to go for windies tour. Now they will miss that tour and may miss england tour. If we lose england test series, then I blame IPL and will be furious
Sehwag was only allowed to get the desperately needed treatment on his shoulder by his IPL owner when his franchisee had been dumped out of the tournament. If Delhi had made the final he would have been aggravating it further and ending even the slightest chance of playing India's most important Test series this year.
Don't know' date=' I am not saying its the cause of India becoming worse in T20Is but I heard alot of people saying IPL with international players would help Indias international T20 team but it obviously hasn't. IPL players have been total flops in T20I. Vijya, jadeja even Pathan to a certain extent. [b']That means the Quality of IPL not as good as its fans think it is.
Gary Kirsten had this to say about the quality of the IPL:
"The one thing that didn't play into our hands here is that we had a bunch of cricketers who were quite tired when they arrived," said South African Kirsten. "It probably didn't help that we had two relatively low intensity (group) games against Bangladesh and Ireland... but the standard of cricket and the quality of cricket has been higher than we experienced in the IPL. "That is a domestic competition, a club competition in many respects. While you've got international players playing in the teams, you've got first-class cricketers making up the rest. "I sense there's a reasonably big gap between what's happening at the IPL level and what's happening internationally."
Not surprisingly, he was told to stfu by the BCCI soon after.
The biggest issue here is not about the injuries picked up during IPL. It is about playing through IPL carrying an injury. That is serious.
Ditto... But how do we do that. Actaully BCCI should start charging for injuries and after care to respective teams. And fines should be introduced in case player and /or team hide his injury
Sehwag was only allowed to get the desperately needed treatment on his shoulder by his IPL owner when his franchisee had been dumped out of the tournament. If Delhi had made the final he would have been aggravating it further and ending even the slightest chance of playing India's most important Test series this year.
That is shocking and true. O well most of the test die hards here were jumping up and down defending Dhoni when he missed test series in SL to rest for IPL, so no wonder things have arrived at this point when hardcore test fans set the rot. If we lose the England test series I will be fuming. God knows, without the greatest test opening partnership in cricket history being at the windies , we may even blow that series.