Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

On 22/05/2015 at 0:20 PM, mishra said:
I am still losing' date=' need to hit 70. Want fat percentage to be as low as [b']15-18 with muscles, not skinny.

I have made one simple change. I work while standing. No more comfy desk chair for me. You have to be doing gym to achieve 15-18 %

Made Another change. Every year, I used to gain considerable weight between runup to Diwali till new year. You know Diwali sweets Christmas Cookies and parties.

Instead of waiting for the period to finish i decided to hit the gym. No weight loss at all but I may be not far from making transition from family packs to 6 packs. All down to not giving up during festive season.

42 minutes ago, mishra said:

^1000+ calories.  That is more than my weekly loss on cross trainer

Did about 20 minutes of running at 6.5 speed but incline was set at 0.

Then 40 minutes of walking at incline of 14 and speed of 4. This is where I sweat more but was also holding the grip to not fall as incline was too high. 

Last 5 minutes were for cool down, so casual walk as system automatically reduced the speed to 3 and then 2.5 each minute during the last 5 minutes. 

16 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Did about 20 minutes of running at 6.5 speed but incline was set at 0.

Then 40 minutes of walking at incline of 14 and speed of 4. This is where I sweat more but was also holding the grip to not fall as incline was too high. 

Last 5 minutes were for cool down, so casual walk as system automatically reduced the speed to 3 and then 2.5 each minute during the last 5 minutes. 

OH, Apparently, Its always good to test your hearts maximum. I think i saw some bbc documentary where Docs carried out some experiment -evaluating benefits of running 3 mins at max speed . The whole logic was to get your heart pumping at max speed for a very small period.

If you are 40 and cross 170 bpm, Your heart is defo fit. Worth Trying 2-3 mins just before you end your workout

Edited by mishra

1 minute ago, mishra said:

OH, Apparently, Its always good to test your hearts maximum. I think i saw some bbc documentary where Docs carried out some experiment where running 3 mins at max speed is how beneficial. The whole logic was to get your heart pumping at max speed for a very small period.

If you are 40 and cross 170, Your heart is defo fit. Worth Trying 2-3 mins just before you end of you workout

Ya. I wanted to push for running hard in my last 3-5 minutes but stupid machine after one hour of walking/running, automatically starts going backwards and gives you 5 more minutes to cool down at lower speed to the one you manually set. I think most machines are set that way.

Will try to do when I do 30 minutues of walk/run.  One hour is too much anyway. 

9 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Ya. I wanted to push for running hard in my last 3-5 minutes but stupid machine after one hour of walking/running, automatically starts going backwards and gives you 5 more minutes to cool down at lower speed to the one you manually set. I think most machines are set that way.

Will try to do when I do 30 minutues of walk/run.  One hour is too much anyway. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-17177251

Yes, Article from the person who made documentary. It argues that standard running/jogging is less effective compared to top speed one.

In one international study 1,000 people were asked to exercise four hours a week for 20 weeks. Their aerobic fitness was measured before and after starting this regime and the results were striking.

Although 15% of people made huge strides (so-called "super-responders"), 20% showed no real improvement at all ("non-responders").

There is no suggestion that the non-responders weren't exercising properly, it was simply that the exercise they were doing was not making them any aerobically fitter.

Jamie and his collaborators investigated the reasons for these variations and discovered that much of the difference could be traced to a small number of genes.

On the basis of this finding they have developed a genetic test to predict who is likely to be a responder, and who is not. Jamie offered me that test. But I would not be told the results until I had completed my HIT regime.

I agreed, had blood taken and went through some baseline tests to assess my starting point, fitness-wise. Then I began to do HIT.

Full throttle

It's actually very simple. You get on an exercise bike, warm up by doing gentle cycling for a couple of minutes, then go flat out for 20 seconds.

A couple of minutes to catch your breath, then another 20 seconds at full throttle. Another couple of minutes gentle cycling, then a final 20 seconds going hell for leather. And that's it.

Edited by mishra

1 minute ago, mishra said:

Yes, Article from the person who made documentary. It argues that standard running/jogging is less effective compared to top speed one.

I argue that. In fac many would.

I have been doing this from last 10 years and it has worked. Around same time of the year I usually start doing this and it works. It totally depends on how much you are running walking. Now of course the guy who wrote the article is correct when and if he means that consistent running for 20 minutes will make you sweat more and lose you more calories than 30 minutes of standard walking and running on a bit higher incline.

Hence I always usually start with walking on higher incline, then bring back to zero incline and start running for at least 1 mile without stopping and at times push for higher or sometimes for 15 minutes. Goal is to run at least 20 minutes.

Again, currently spending one hour on treadmill is not something I plan to continue through out. I am not running for a marathon. Just losing some weight to get that "Bowler physique." Running walking 30 minutes is adequate for me once I am in the shape which I feel comfortable day in day out when bowling. 

4 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

I argue that. In fac many would.

I have been doing this from last 10 years and it has worked. Around same time of the year I usually start doing this and it works. It totally depends on how much you are running walking. Now of course the guy who wrote the article is correct when and if he means that consistent running for 20 minutes will make you sweat more and lose you more calories than 30 minutes of standard walking and running on a bit higher incline.

Hence I always usually start with walking on higher incline, then bring back to zero incline and start running for at least 1 mile without stopping and at times push for higher or sometimes for 15 minutes. Goal is to run at least 20 minutes.

Again, currently spending one hour on treadmill is not something I plan to continue through out. I am not running for a marathon. Just losing some weight to get that "Bowler physique." Running walking 30 minutes is adequate for me once I am in the shape which I feel comfortable day in day out when bowling. 

No, he is talking about aerobically fitter. His logic is just 20 second burst will make you fitter. Also presenter was in very good shape (compared to general population)  to begin with.

And if you think critically, say you are fit, its like during that period you stretch your lungs, hearrt,oxygen absobtion to work at maximum.

2 minutes ago, mishra said:

No, he is talking about aerobically fitter. His logic is just 20 second burst will make you fitter. Also presenter was in very good shape (compared to general population)  to begin with.

And if you think critically, say you are fit, its like during that period you stretch your lungs, hearrt,oxygen absobtion to work at maximum.

Could be true. I run my 10 minutes straight at least most times and that is good enough for me but surely he could have merit in what he is talking. I used to try it earlier running in little burst when I was over weight. Now since I am not, works perfectly for me to just run straight through out.

Also it helps me increase my stamina when  I run straight 10-15 minutes and do not in short bursts. Stamina is important as it is something you need when you bowl longer bowling spells in practices.

9 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Could be true. I run my 10 minutes straight at least most times and that is good enough for me but surely he could have merit in what he is talking. I used to try it earlier running in little burst when I was over weight. Now since I am not, works perfectly for me to just run straight through out.

Also it helps me increase my stamina when  I run straight 10-15 minutes and do not in short bursts. Stamina is important as it is something you need when you bowl longer bowling spells in practices.

30 mins of cardio generally lasts very long. But still some people have totally extreme fit bodies. In our team, there is a 50+ year guy who each summer Saturday participates in a 5K (Km) race at 9 AM and then plays 40 over as side game at 12:00 hrs.

Edited by mishra

6 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Diet plays the biggest part.. Not just quantity of food . also type of food.  My jeans are my motivation :)

yeah. I know. I have gone through such cycles numerous times. I gain very quickly due to thyroid disorder.

2 hours ago, Cricketics said:

Just did some running and wallking mix while watching the India vs Bangladesh. Had to really push myself as this was done early morning here at around 4 AM

What a fresh feeling.

IMG_1234.JPG

1000 calories burn in just 4.75 km or miles?

3 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Miles. I walked more than I ran. About 20 mins of running only and rest all walking on extremely high incline of 14.

Hence so many calories were burn.

I never got this incline thing. Do you really think you burn so many calories? I think because most people on incline ones hold the handle in front they are not actually loosing as per reading

9 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

1000 calories burn in just 4.75 km or miles?

2 minutes ago, mishra said:

^ He did Then 40 minutes of walking at incline of 14 and speed of 4. This is where I sweat more but was also holding the grip to not fall as incline was too high. 

Here is another one from few days before. Here I ran about 23 minutes and walked for 45 minutes but the incline was much lower. 

As you can see, I covered way more distance here since I ran more but since my incline was low when I was walking, so my calories were not the same. 

IMG_1228.JPG