Fav Indian cities

Mariyam

I haven't been there that much, but doesn't Bangalore also have a cosmopolitan culture of its own? Surely Bangalore's culture is not the same as that of the surrounding region.
Maybe now with the IT boom, and even so I expect it to be more of an IT culture rather than a genuine backbone of the city. 10-11 years back it was primarily Kannadiga except for a few pockets. Yeah, there were a lot of pubs even then but there are only so many pubs you can go to. And the roads used to be horrendous, at least back then - potholes with the occasional smooth parts.
In know you are a Lucknowiite, err Lucknowia so don't get me wrong, but I think Lucknow's only saving grace is the Awadhi cuisine and chikan. I've had the (mis) fortune of staying for nearly a week in Lucknow , pretty recently (2009). Attended 2 weddings there. I didn't find many remnants of the old Lucknow, that the Lakhnavis keep harping about. And that even that old Lucknow culture is pretty restricted to the nobility and their immediate coterie. Its not a 'culture' of the masses so to speak. When you say Lucknow culture, what exactly do you mean?
As I said, it's not really a city I would expect an outsider to like. You have to grow up there to really understand it with all it's subtle flavors. But yeah, newer Lucknow is just like any other mid size Indian city. However, in old Lucknow a lot of the language and lifestyle are still very much intact. Right from patangbaazi to shaam-e-awadh - basically indulging in one meandering pastime after another. Even for most people from my generation, having some rum and biriyani in the evening with a couple of friends is more important than opening up the shop for the extra two hours or working overtime in office to get the next promotion. And speaking of food, there are some absolute fanatics - a friend of mine got married last time I was there and the menu had some 35 types of kabaabs.

Did you mix the two :hmmmm: Although Mumbai is definitely most cosmopolitan but when talking of commute etc its outright dangerous in terms of its trains. The roads are dead slow. I cannot afford a helicopter.
Maybe, it's just the routes I have taken in Bombay or since I haven't ever had to commute during rush hours and could plan my travel around it, I found the train+taxi system to be pretty convenient.

What about the Jets in your Avatar?
IAF aerobatics team. Those jets wouldn't be too convenient. I believe the answer lies with another branch of the Armed Forces i.e. Indian Navy. Two dozen or so of the Harriers have survived.

Bombay is the only city in India which is truly cosmopolitan and has a culture and life of it's own. The rest of the cities just derive their culture from the region they happen to be in. Easily the best city in India.
Doesnt Mumbai have the biggest slums in the whole wide world. If this is the epitome of the best Indian city, then God help India and Indians

Doesnt Mumbai have the biggest slums in the whole wide world. If this is the epitome of the best Indian city' date=' then God help India and Indians[/quote'] It is the only truly cosmopolitan city with it's own distinctive culture, removed from the region it is in, in India. The general vibrancy and energy in the city is unparalleled. Don't think too many people here were ranking cities by how many slums are there in them or what the conditions of the slums is. Thought the idea behind the thread was which cities' culture and lifestyle we enjoy the most not whether the slums of Dharawi are in a better shape than Majnu Ka Teela. :dontknow:

It is the only truly cosmopolitan city with it's own distinctive culture, removed from the region it is in, in India. The general vibrancy and energy in the city is unparalleled. Don't think too many people here were ranking cities by how many slums are there in them or what the conditions of the slums is. Thought the idea behind the thread was which cities' culture and lifestyle we enjoy the most not whether the slums of Dharawi are in a better shape than Majnu Ka Teela. :dontknow:
What am I going to do with a "cosmopolitan" city devoid of its original culture with the influx of immigrants when I can't even feed my kids or send them to school? One of the important factors of any place is the quality of life.. atleast for me anyways. And even you mention its transportation system when making your assessment of the city :giggle: And I don't mind being enlightened about its distinct culture. Please go ahead, it should be interesting

What am I going to do with a "cosmopolitan" city devoid of its original culture with the influx of immigrants when I can't even feed my kids or send them to school?
You are a smart, educated guy who will get more than a decent job. Why would you have a problem in feeding your kids and sending them to school? You are talking about slums as if when you go to a city in India you live in the slums. That's a separate topic and discussion. The way I understood this thread was how I, personally, enjoy and am comfortable in a city.
One of the important factors of any place is the quality of life.. atleast for me anyways. And even you mention its transportation system when making your assessment of the city :giggle:
What's wrong with the quality of life in Bombay? Personally, I did not find the transportation to be a big problem in Bombay. I don't mind taking a local train and taxi over driving and sitting in a parking lot for hours.
And I don't mind being enlightened about its distinct culture. Please go ahead, it should be interesting
Almost all Indian cities derive their culture from the region they are in - Delhi/Chandigarh (Punjabi), Patna (Bihari), Madras (Tamil), Calcutta (Bengali). Bombay has it's own mini culture, Pune has a Marathi culture. That makes it very unique and enjoyable for me.

mumbai has poverty, but it also has ridiculous amounts of wealth. real estate prices in mumbai are crazy, only behind tokyo, hong kong, beijing, 4th highest in asia as per forbes. for every slum dweller there is some filthy rich guy who laughs himself to sleep every night. dont look at one xtreme without looking at the other.

mumbai has poverty' date=' but it also has ridiculous amounts of wealth. real estate prices in mumbai are crazy, only behind tokyo, hong kong, beijing, 4th highest in asia as per forbes. for every slum dweller there is some filthy rich guy who laughs himself to sleep every night. dont look at one xtreme without looking at the other.[/quote'] That's because there's no more space left there.....overcrowded. No wonder the real estate prices are high :cantstop:

That's because there's no more space left there.....overcrowded. No wonder the real estate prices are high :cantstop:
OMG u r so funnnneh no really, where do u get this sense of humour from man i wanna know, its brilliant u shud try impressing the ambanis with it,they might let u live in one of their slums free of charge

OMG u r so funnnneh no really, where do u get this sense of humour from man i wanna know, its brilliant u shud try impressing the ambanis with it,they might let u live in one of their slums free of charge
haha, looks like i hit a nerve... Take it easy As for your offer, I might pass upon the offer as I dont quite fancy this one by Ambani. A small flat with tickets to the WC final would be worth pondering upon. ar121018793648977.jpg And all the cities you mention have a high population density suggesting overcrowdedness:giggle: While I'm not an expert on real estate prices but if there is only plot left in your neighborhood and there are 10-15 buyers, then its price is also going to rise. IIRC, it was you mentioning the overcrowdedness being a deterrent to the city yourself.

What am I going to do with a "cosmopolitan" city devoid of its original culture with the influx of immigrants when I can't even feed my kids or send them to school? One of the important factors of any place is the quality of life.. atleast for me anyways. And even you mention its transportation system when making your assessment of the city :giggle: And I don't mind being enlightened about its distinct culture. Please go ahead, it should be interesting
I don't get this argument people pose. On the one hand, people are whining about the Shiv Sainiks who are trying to enforce the 'local culture' here in Mumbai, and on the other, the same folks are pointing out that Mumbai 'has no original culture'. That in itself is a huge contradiction. Yes, Bombay has slums, and yes, it is overcrowded. But the beauty of the city is in its huge contrasts and dichotomy, not about sugar, spice, and cotton candy beauty. It takes a much deeper understanding to appreciate what Mumbai has to offer. For every slumdweller, you have a stinking rich tycoon or filmstar who lives a stone's throw away. Mumbai is not the place for you if you'd rather sit back in your lawn chair and relax for the rest of your life. Why is New York City the face of USA instead of Washington DC? Because it's very much like Mumbai and has its own unique culture. It's a melting pot of communities and for every ghetto out there, you have an upmarket, posh area. Bronx is the biggest ghetto in the USA, but then the real estate prices in NYC are also the highest in that country. That doesn't make it a horrible city to live in- just the opposite. Any country's biggest slum is mostly always in the financial hub of the nation- like NYC, Karachi, Rio De Janeiro. It's only in Mumbai that you'll see fisherwomen, sweepers, and managers travelling together in the same compartment. It's the intermingling of classes and communities that makes it unique; you won't find this in any another city. Bombay also has the best transport facility in the whole country. It's not about the crowds, but about the frequency, reliability, and the number of options Mumbaikars have when it comes to getting around.
Doesnt Mumbai have the biggest slums in the whole wide world.
No it doesn't. The world's biggest slum is Kibera in Nairobi.

well for me its goa not many cities particularly but where ever u go , if u got your own transportation a beach is just 45 min around and such a good aura out there so many beaches including some beautiful locations all make up for a awesome stay here goa rocks and also especially u r a non vegetarian , the kind of fresh fish and lobsters etc etc that r available here are just awesome in taste and even tendulkar's fav restaurant gives u an experience u will never forget last but not least , booze is what goa is known for :D :D :D so cheap and so much in quantity without any change in quality :D

Chandigarh-- Best city to live in India... Cleanest city, hottest girls, awesomest culture, bestest food.. then Delhi- 2nd best city to live in India..2nd hottest girls, 2nd awesomest culture, 2nd bestest food, last in cleaniness though :P..
agree chandigarh rocks :yayo:

what is about a "clean city"? i haven't found one city in india to be remotely close to clean...to me it would be something like paris... first you need proper garbage dumps within yards and people to have a culture of folllowing it...neither is at present in indian cities and even the main posh roads have garbage