Is IPL declining ?

don_corleone840

T20 cricket is TAILOR made for T.V. Come to think of it, the games dont last more than 3 hours, which is the duration of most indian movies. Plus, there's a minute long break every 3 minutes, to sneak in your ads, apart from the manadatory innings break and the strategic timeout. IPL's commercial success is not surprising at all.

Lalit Modi himself gave the link of this blog on twitter: Link IPL4, crowd attendance and World Cup impact It has been just one week since IPL began, and teams have played a couple of matches each. But the hype that surrounds the T20 extravaganza, which is usually high during the start and end of the league stage, hasn’t been quite as it was during the previous editions. Though Set Max is doing a good job not covering the empty stands, it isn’t hard to guess attendance levels are an abysmal low. Interestingly, people’s involvement and support for IPL was being talked about just five days before the start of the tournament. In fact, right after India won the World Cup. While some people said India’s win in the WC would further boost IPL attendance, a wise few hash tagged IPL with yawn even before it began. What marketing whiz-kids should be studying is whether the decline in eyeballs and/or ticket sales linked to people’s behavioral pattern, or a failure to promote the product properly. Before discussing if this is due to people’s mindset, let us see if the IPL Marketing department has done enough from its side. To start with, IPL never did announce its coming properly. Though the “Bharath Bandh” campaign by JWT India was fairly good, the advertisements were never in places where the eyeballs were. In the previous years, the IPL advertisements could be seen frequently even in regional channels. This year, considering that there was already a mammoth product (The World Cup) doing the rounds, they should have tried harder for advertising space. While most billboards, online space and TVCs were booked for the World Cup, the IPL should have had its share of presence to sell itself. From the knock-out stage of the WC, many top brands were ready to shell out millions of dollars to woo consumers. Considering that IPL itself is a billion dollar product, maybe it should have advertised strongly during the World Cup to win fan fervor. What BCCI must keep in mind is that IPL never succeeded because of cricket. Well if it was cricket, ICL should’ve succeeded too, right? Lalit Modi knew this too well. There was always something to talk about the IPL. The parties, the cheer-girls, Bollywood, something interesting was always on. Mr. Modi made sure of that. The IPL chairman also led from the front, was always ready for an interview, was media friendly, and was everywhere. Also, there seem to be no innovations this year. Or atleast, none that have been noticed, except better graphics for scorecards and players info. Think what the previous editions had to offer new to the consumers – player mics, the famed eagle cam, even an advertising stint like the MRF blimp was being talked about. Some studies last year talked about good advertisements having a positive impact on game viewer ship. Many brands, which had a good run during the World Cup, have invested in IPL too, hoping for the momentum to continue, and not to lose out to competitors. These brands, if it is possible, must shoot fresh commercials, and not use the ones they used all through the long world cup. Only then, people will show interest. Else, they hardly seem to notice the advertisements. And now, the impact of World Cup on IPL viewer ship. Indians had invested a lot of time and money for the World Cup. They might also be emotionally drained. After having seen the cricket’s most coveted prize being won by the country, everything else might seem trivial. Or maybe the World Cup hangover still lingers. Whatever it is, the IPL guys need to think quick, and bring back the crowds. Surely, Lalit Modi’s absence is being felt.

Lallu Modi :isalute:
Im glad he is not there he was a brilliant man manager and managed other things quite well but honestly he used to hog the spotlight a lot and it seemed more like a Page 3 event during his reighn this time atleast the focus is on the cricket and the cricketers thats why im happy.Like everyone has said the Wc has overshadowed IPL.

The WC victory has definitely overshadowed IPL. It was evident from the way the Delhi crowd was cheering Tendulkar when their own team was losing. Another thing disappearing fast is the way the loyalty factor is getting weaker. With the way players are team hopping, that fierce sense of competition that we saw in the first two seasons of IPL is gone this time. The above two, IMO, have done good for IPL. It's fun and it should remain fun and nothing more.
M.I team were cheered last year too at Kotla Stadium i was in the stadium and they wre cheering Sachin and his team. When DD began their batting they were chanting VIRU VIRU.

As per my observations the IPL started well this year but is starting to lose ground now .. People's interest in the IPL has faded away a bit after the first couple of matches and is gradually decreasing. There are many reasons for that including the non-marketing of the same, pitches not being T-10 friendly etc. They have also made the cheerleaders wear full dresses which has reduced the oomph factor. Celebs are also not invited a lot reducing the celeb watching factor. Matches are played on sporting rather than flat pitches with low scores which has reduced the hitting factor. IPL after parties and glamour quotient has also ended. These are the main reasons for the gradual decline. To be frank, it is BS if anyone thinks that IPL became success only due to cricket but as I always said it was actually working more on the entertainment factor both on and off the pitch. A league would sustain but cannot become as crazy as IPL was without entertainment. If the new IPL council thinks they would make it a huge hit only based on cricket then they are not thinking in the right direction. The new IPL council is looking a bit weak on the marketing and planning compared to the Modi era. This will affect IPL for sure unless they pull up their socks and make it masala cricket entertainment as it used to be instead of pure cricket.

dude I completely disagree. With the world cup ticket starved Junta of India, everyone see this as a good entertainment as well as oppurtunity to watch their fav cricketers. As far as celebrity penny goes, I would prefer they stay the sh!te away from cricket. Half of my world cup experience was destroyed by the rich t!ts who can't scream for their life - let alone India winning the world cup. Whats the use of you being in the stadium if you cant cheer your team. I specifically remember two instances of World Cup Final - 1) Neeta Ambani - making faces as is she is sitting on a d!ldo chair while Gambhir & Kohli were batting 2) No one from the stand cheering or clapping when players were carrying Gary Kirsten on the victory lap. Keep the plastic fans away from the game we all love. I would rather prefer a five year old kid who is happy to see the game and cheer the team. As for the empty stadium goes, few of the owners messed up by ignoring fan sentiments. And yes, saturation of cricket it will eventually happen. I going for Mumbai game in the evening and I am as pumped as any India game to see Sachin play. Its gonna be fun.

dude I completely disagree. With the world cup ticket starved Junta of India, everyone see this as a good entertainment as well as oppurtunity to watch their fav cricketers. As far as celebrity penny goes, I would prefer they stay the sh!te away from cricket. Half of my world cup experience was destroyed by the rich t!ts who can't scream for their life - let alone India winning the world cup. Whats the use of you being in the stadium if you cant cheer your team. I specifically remember two instances of World Cup Final - 1) Neeta Ambani - making faces as is she is sitting on a d!ldo chair while Gambhir & Kohli were batting 2) No one from the stand cheering or clapping when players were carrying Gary Kirsten on the victory lap. Keep the plastic fans away from the game we all love. I would rather prefer a five year old kid who is happy to see the game and cheer the team. As for the empty stadium goes, few of the owners messed up by ignoring fan sentiments. And yes, saturation of cricket it will eventually happen. I going for Mumbai game in the evening and I am as pumped as any India game to see Sachin play. Its gonna be fun.
Really well said Dude :two_thumbs_up: Everyone is trying to project their own feelings about IPL into a general statement. Someone who is not watching it would say that it is declining and going down the drain. they will jump up and point at half filled stadiums but ignore the packed ones. You can't please everyone all the time. There will always be an audience for Cricket in India and it is substantial even if the interest is 80% of last time. What other options do people have - Daily Soaps?

Really well said Dude :two_thumbs_up: Everyone is trying to project their own feelings about IPL into a general statement. Someone who is not watching it would say that it is declining and going down the drain. they will jump up and point at half filled stadiums but ignore the packed ones. You can't please everyone all the time. There will always be an audience for Cricket in India and it is substantial even if the interest is 80% of last time. What other options do people have - Daily Soaps?
I am kind of guy who watches even exhibition cricket. I always look for Ranji matches, irani cup, challenger trophy etc. I remember watching Sunil Gavaskar imitating Abdul Qadir in an exhibition match. I also watched double wicket match at chennai where Miandad was bowled 3 or 4 times in a row by Walsh. If you are going to watch some nonsense on TV, why not this.

On the contrary, I have seen most games getting very healthy attendances so far. Only the Eden Gardens game had a poor crowd. In fact most of the world cup matches were held in totally empty stadiums! I will guess that the total IPL attendance so far must have far exceeded that of the entire world cup!

IPL fails to build on good start to TV ratings http://www.espncricinfo.com/indian-premier-league-2011/content/current/story/512231.html

IPL fails to build on good start to TV ratings Tariq Engineer April 22, 2011 Text size: A | A Through IPL 2011, ESPNcricinfo will be tracking TV ratings using the TAM People Meter, India's leading TV ratings system. This is the first installment in the weekly series The biggest audience-puller this week was the Pune v Kochi match, with 15.9 million viewers © AFP Enlarge Related LinksNews : IPL beats cricket fatigue worries Matches: Mumbai Indians v Kochi Tuskers Kerala at Mumbai | Pune Warriors v Kochi Tuskers Kerala at Mumbai Series/Tournaments: Indian Premier League Teams: India Television ratings for the 2011 IPL have failed to build on the strong start provided by the opening game, falling 16.77% on average across six key markets from the corresponding period in 2010. The average Television Viewer Rating (TVR, a time-weighted figure which accounts for time spent watching by viewers in addition to the number of viewers) for the first 15 games this season was 4.58 across the cities of Mumbai, Kolkata, Delhi, Bangalore, Chennai and Hyderabad, down from 5.50 in 2010, according to TAM Sports, a division of TAM Media Research, the leading television ratings agency in India. The opening match between Chennai Super Kings and Kolkata Knight Riders had drawn a rating of 7.77, the highest since the 2008 opener. Rohit Gupta, president of MSM Screen Media, told ESPNcricinfo that he wasn't worried by the lower ratings, saying that most of the evening games had ratings over five and that he expects the overall averages to improve as the tournament progresses. He suggested that the lower ratings were due to a larger proportion of afternoon games this year, but both years have actually seen the same number of afternoon games to this point - six. In any case, it was a similar story looking at just the nine prime time games, which typically draw a higher rating than the 4 pm games. In 2010, they posted an average rating of 6.11. So far in 2011, that is down to 5.27, a drop of 13.81%. The Mumbai Indians were the franchise that attracted the largest audience, with 14.8 million, watching them take on Royal Challengers Bangalore, giving it a reach of 21%, and 16.1 million tuning in for the game against Kochi Tuskers Kerala, a reach of 23%, making it the second-most watched game this season. That game, in which Sachin Tendulkar made his maiden IPL hundred but still ended up on the losing side after Kochi chased down 183, had a TVR of 6.74. Even Mumbai's 4 pm game against Delhi Daredevil had 11.6 million fans tune in. No other afternoon game cracked the 10 million mark, though Kolkata Knight Rider's serene chase of 160 against Rajasthan Royals, which had Gautam Gambhir and Jacques Kallis adding 152 unbeaten runs, came close at 9.7 million. The big surprise was the April 13 game between the two debutants - Pune Warriors and Kochi - that drew 15.9 million viewers, making it the third most-watched game so far. Pune was unbeaten at that stage and beat Kochi by four wickets to go to the top of the table.