Saved Rs 100 crore in IPL 2011: Chirayu Amin

ravishingravi

Chirayu Amin, the IPL chairman, has said the stripped down version of the league in 2011, compared to the extravagance of previous seasons, has helped save Rs 100 crore ($22.5 million). Amin, who took over running the IPL after Lalit Modi was ousted, also said there was no chance of expanding the tournament further from its present format of ten teams because the window in the schedule would not permit it. "It has been a good stint [as chairman] as we have been running the league professionally. The governing council is being run like a professional company with complete transparency," Amin told the Times of India. "Now, every decision is taken jointly after discussion, which was not the case earlier. Each and every tender is opened in the presence of lawyers and bidders. "Apart from bringing in transparency, we made it a point to stop unnecessary expenditure and spent money more judiciously. These measures alone have helped us save Rs 100 crore in IPL 4." One of the expenditures that has been stopped is the IPL parties, which were held after almost every game in previous seasons and worsened the hectic playing and travelling schedule of the teams. "In fact, the franchise owners are happy that we stopped the parties," Amin said. "They feel that the players will now be able to maintain their focus more on cricket. IPL is more about cricket." Amin hoped that the revenues from IPL 2011 would be greater than in previous seasons. "The opening ceremony of IPL IV received maximum TRPs and the games have received more viewership than last year. Also, Volkswagen joined in as additional sponsor and we hope our revenues are higher this year, which means more money for state associations. http://sports.ndtv.com/ipl/news/item/172216-ipl-news-saved-rs-100-crore-in-ipl-2011-chirayu-amin :omg:

The IPL parties was a mean of revenue. It was sponsored by kingfisher and acted as another way to get some sponsors brand name in the front of entertainment pages. So, Although it is a good move to remove the IPL parties, i dont know how they were able to save money by doing so.

In terms of marketing and management Lalit Modi was light years ahead of Amin. IPL has only become cricket without entertainment and I am also seeing the interest for IPL dying down very soon this year. The showoffs by L Modi was also a method of clever marketing and Amin does not understand the bigger stages of marketing. The biggest mistake L Modi did was to take direct panga with Indian govt. when he took PC head on during the 2009 elections. That spelled his doom or he would never have faced the present problems. L Modi was a better manager and commissioner overall. The one irritating thing I found however was that he used to bring his son to the forefront with those huge goggles which destroyed everything including the glamor.

In terms of marketing and management Lalit Modi was light years ahead of Amin. IPL has only become cricket without entertainment and I am also seeing the interest for IPL dying down very soon this year. The showoffs by L Modi was also a method of clever marketing and Amin does not understand the bigger stages of marketing. The biggest mistake L Modi did was to take direct panga with Indian govt. when he took PC head on during the 2009 elections. That spelled his doom or he would never have faced the present problems. L Modi was a better manager and commissioner overall. The one irritating thing I found however was that he used to bring his son to the forefront with those huge goggles which destroyed everything including the glamor.
I dont think marketing is reason behind decline in intrest.i think scheduling of ipl just after world cup is just stupid.No one cares about ipl results now.

I dont think marketing is reason behind decline in intrest.i think scheduling of ipl just after world cup is just stupid.No one cares about ipl results now.
And changing the composition of the teams altogether. Nobody cares about the teams winning or losing anymore.

It's funny how Modi was promptly served up as a convenient patsy by almost every influential person who was involved in the IPL business. Reminds me of an old joke about a secret poker club that was busted by the cops. By the time the cops break the door down everybody at the table except one guy manages to escape through the fire-exit. So when the cops see him, the table, the cards and the stake money they inform him that he is being arrested for gambling. And the guy says, "Sure, but who was I playing with?"

And changing the composition of the teams altogether. Nobody cares about the teams winning or losing anymore.
lol. Its funny nobody complained about this......but now everyone is having a go at how the auction fked up the teams. How dumb are some of these owners or bcci babus? I could see from a mile away that another auction really fk up the rhythm and loyalty that the fans and teams have invested in players. But thats all blown up just to accommodate two extra teams.

I do agree that Modi was a better marketer of the product than the current lot and this format of the game does need some selling to make it interesting. Couple of mistakes Modi made were planning an expansion just 3 years into the league and the re-auctioning of all the players. Regarding the IPL night parties, it seemed like they overdid it, having party pretty much after every game and also including things like fashion shows, etc.

I do agree that Modi was a better marketer of the product than the current lot and this format of the game does need some selling to make it interesting. Couple of mistakes Modi made were planning an expansion just 3 years into the league and the re-auctioning of all the players. Regarding the IPL night parties, it seemed like they overdid it, having party pretty much after every game and also including things like fashion shows, etc.
Hell no, you think the expansion is mistakes? That is rubbish. BCCI benefited in the form of 10 times more bid than the orginal 8 teams bid. The players benefitted as more players and matches. Fans see more entertainment and higher quality of cricket. And if you think it was mistake, why are you saying it now? This was said since the start and clearly this was a great decision by Modi. The parties were bad, cricket(IPL)is a professional sport(event) and should only be treated with cricket.

Hell no, you think the expansion is mistakes? That is rubbish. BCCI benefited in the form of 10 times more bid than the orginal 8 teams bid. The players benefitted as more players and matches. Fans see more entertainment and higher quality of cricket. And if you think it was mistake, why are you saying it now? This was said since the start and clearly this was a great decision by Modi. The parties were bad, cricket(IPL)is a professional sport(event) and should only be treated with cricket.
yes 10 teams is too much. many of us weren't even aware of the expansion BS till it actually happened, so what was there to talk about prior? also the effects of the expansion is being felt only now. every morning I wake up only to find two teams playing against each other and I don't even know if they had played already, how many games are remaining for them, etc. I am not saying that was easy with 8 teams, but this 10 team unbalanced format is BS and is not needed for a league just starting out.

yes 10 teams is too much. many of us weren't even aware of the expansion BS till it actually happened' date=' so what was there to talk about prior? also the effects of the expansion is being felt only now. every morning I wake up only to find two teams playing against each other and I don't even know if they had played already, how many games are remaining for them, etc. I am not saying that was easy with 8 teams, but this 10 team unbalanced format is BS and is not needed for a league just starting out.[/quote'] I do not understand how can you see 10 teams is too much. Are they playing more games than 14? If you are so sensitive and find it hard to adjust, I guess you need change management lessons.

I do not understand how can you see 10 teams is too much. Are they playing more games than 14? If you are so sensitive and find it hard to adjust, I guess you need change management lessons.
Tell me do you even know how many games your fav team has played against team X and how many more are left? It is not a question of adjusting to change, it is more to do with going from 8 to 10 after just 3 years.

It is not a question of adjusting to change, it is more to do with going from 8 to 10 after just 3 years.
The expansion is just fine. Nothing wrong with it. The more teams the better. You need to create a system where teams shouldbe developing their own markets in their region and trying to make it financially viable, as well developing in the long term aspect. They shouldnt all rely on tv ratings/rights as the main source of cash flow. That shouldnt be your only source of major income. The re auctioning of players was a very bad idea. It kills the loyalty, following and appeal of certain teams brands. The best way would have been a draft process for the new teams or extra money to spend.

Tell me do you even know how many games your fav team has played against team X and how many more are left? It is not a question of adjusting to change, it is more to do with going from 8 to 10 after just 3 years.
Its purely that you are scared of change, you seem to be too used to the old method that any changes whether it was less/more teams, would have made you scared. You are saying like some idiots here that after Sachin Tendulkar retires, they would not care about cricket. You move forward when there is an opportunity, IPL has done with every stakeholder which includes fans, players, BCCI all benefiting.