Harbhajan's short run

The Outsider

According to the rules' date=' one short run is allowed and a warning given for the batsman not to do it again. So the first run is not illegal and hence not cheating.[/quote'] No. If there is a warning for it, it's simply not allowed. What we do not know is what the rule says if the batsman or some other batsman does it in spite of the warning.

LMAO, a warning is given because something is illegal. Any warning in any thing, from a court of law to a sports is given for doing something illegal. Its ok if you dont want to blame Bhajji, but in the future you should not blame a Afridi or a Ponting if they do womething which irks you
Bhajji didnt play within the spirit of the game. No arguing when anyone does that. I'm just pointing out the difference between that and cheating. The OP even said he should be banned for 1 or 2 matches which is clearly an over reaction. :smiley:

Bhajji didnt play within the spirit of the game. No arguing when anyone does that. I'm just pointing out the difference between that and cheating. The OP even said he should be banned for 1 or 2 matches which is clearly an over reaction. :smiley:
Breaking a rule deliberately is cheating - there is no milder word for it.

Ok, having thought about it for a while now, I am having a slight reconsideration in my position – that is CERTAINLY cheating. You can turn half way in your first run and make it back to the striker’s crease, knowing that not only do you get a run, but also keep the strike. That is just simply unacceptable. But having said that, lets give Bhajji the benefit of doubt, shall we? Maybe he realized halfway in first run that there was no way he was going to complete two legitimate runs and yet make it back to the crease in time and he could have chosen to just ditch the entire exercise and focus solely on getting back to the crease. We know our guys. They play the game hard, but they also play it fair, by and large.

Ok, having thought about it for a while now, I am having a slight reconsideration in my position – that is CERTAINLY cheating. You can turn half way in your first run and make it back to the striker’s crease, knowing that not only do you get a run, but also keep the strike. That is just simply unacceptable. But having said that, lets give Bhajji the benefit of doubt, shall we? Maybe he realized halfway in first run that there was no way he was going to complete two legitimate runs and yet make it back to the crease in time and he could have chosen to just ditch the entire exercise and focus solely on getting back to the crease. We know our guys. They play the game hard, but they also play it fair, by and large.
Exactly. It's cheating if done deliberately. How do we know that it was deliberate?

Exactly. It's cheating if done deliberately. How do we know that it was deliberate?
I don’t feel Bhajji at any point during that time actually thought ‘Ok, how can I game the system to my advantage..?’ He probably took off the run, realized pretty soon that either he has settle for a single (which isn’t a desirable outcome) or risk a certain run out, he probably chose to abort everything and focus JUST on getting back to the crease.

I don’t feel Bhajji at any point during that time actually thought ‘Ok, how can I game the system to my advantage..?’ He probably took off the run, realized pretty soon that either he has settle for a single (which isn’t a desirable outcome) or risk a certain run out, he probably chose to abort everything and focus JUST on getting back to the crease.
That might be the case, but he did deliberately turn back without even getting close to the other end thereby denying the fielding side a fair shot at the run out. If the run was disallowed and the non striker is forced to take strike to the next ball, I don't have a problem with this being done.