salmaan rushdie knighted

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

love him hate him but can't deny his literary prowess....only author to win booker of bookers.. enjoy this video where he reads from his most famous work .. v20VvP19kCI

He deserves all the respect! How many of us would stick their neck out for free speech? :congrats: Go Rushdie! :marchmellow: Go Rushdie!:marchmellow: Go Rushdie! :marchmellow: And to all the people who wanted to silence him----> :thefinger:

Wonderful writer. Have read few of his books and liked most of them. His stand-out book remains Midnight Children and the part where the Doctor checks his Muslim patient(a lady) behind her veil is as sound a scene as any other writer has ever painted through words. xx

He deserves all the respect! How many of us would stick their neck out for free speech? :congrats: Go Rushdie! :marchmellow: Go Rushdie!:marchmellow: Go Rushdie! :marchmellow: And to all the people who wanted to silence him----> :thefinger:
i need that birdie smiley... in my free time (not quite a lot of it lately though) i wanna post it on PP under each thread which begins with the words "please pray for..."

i have heard about the fatwas..and all that... and i detest reading big fat novels...so have not read any of his novels... but after reading some of the interesting reactions across the border on this news... i downloaded a pdf of Satanic verses....and looking for some intereting paragraphs..where controversial things have been written... one of my classmate..who himself has written a novel ( not printed as yet )at such a young age...used to say that muslims can not $hit properly nor can they fu(k properly...and there are some rules to follow before doing both things... i do not know how much truth is in that statement.... would love to read on this...

The minister's claim that the knghthood would encourage other people to voice their opinions against islam or encourage terrorism is laughable ! Having said that , Freedom of speech is the most abused term in this world. Just because you are allowed to voice your opinion , dusnt mean you can talk trash ( and i aint telling this with reference to Rushdie)

The minister's claim that the knghthood would encourage other people to voice their opinions against islam or encourage terrorism is laughable ! Having said that , Freedom of speech is the most abused term in this world. Just because you are allowed to voice your opinion , dusnt mean you can talk trash ( and i aint telling this with reference to Rushdie)
Well it's not a simple case of voicing opinion but more a case of factually repeating what is contained in such books. If someone is exposing the vile trashy text contained in such books then what is wrong with that?

Well it's not a simple case of voicing opinion but more a case of factually repeating what is contained in such books. If someone is exposing the vile trashy text contained in such books then what is wrong with that?
I actually didnt get the context of what you had said. But my whole point about this freedom of speech thingy is that these people do not pay attention to the sensitivities that are involved. Eg - The Danish magazine which published pictures of the Prophet Mohammed when it knew that it would cause outrage in the islamic world. People will say -- " What can the danish magazine do if the people from the islamic countries overreact ? " for that i would say -- " if you are so non-bothered about how people from those countries react or hurt, then what is this big fuss about this war on terrorism , freeing the islamic world of all the tyrant rulers and all that crap ? " You mind your own business , let them mind theirs..

" if you are so non-bothered about how people from those countries react or hurt' date=' then what is this big fuss about this war on terrorism , freeing the islamic world of all the tyrant rulers and all that crap ? " You mind your own business , let them mind theirs..[/quote'] Denmark isnt part of the War on Terror - so to ask that is to group all white people or 'Christian' countries together isnt it? Did the US government produce the cartoons? That would be a different story wouldnt it.

I havnt read Rushdie except for the Satanic Verses...i wasnt particularly impressed by his writing style. his material is very well thought out and intellectual in its core but i think he overuses the whole 'stream of thought' presentation and lumps it in too haphazardly for my taste. Overall i am indifferent to whether Rushdie got knighted or not..its a non-issue...clap clap..back to what i was doing.