F'king Disgusting

EnterTheVoid

Forget about Hindu value system' date=' but if Ambanis are brought under the scanner so must Tendulkar be. It is only fair.[/quote'] The Hindu value system bit was because I was miming BossBhai. :D I agree with you. If Ambanis are going to be judged upon, so should Tendulkar.

That is so true. And lets not forget the outright poor people without a slum or bungalow without any food' date=' clothing or shelter, and there are plenty of them. You can't miss it wherever you go.[/quote'] Totally. And then you look at the smile on their face and the hope in their eyes. It seriously makes you appreciate your parents and all they have done for you. Mumbai makes you humble.

absolutely. To add to this' date=' if a billionaire from a developed country spends that much on his house, its not much of an issue of values since his countrymen have comfortable living standards, but in india where so many people are deprived of basic necessities , you build a 27 storey 9000cr. house for a family of 4-5 , it does look disgusting.[/quote'] Values? What values are you talking about? And is it only Ambani who has to have these values, so that 'it doesn't look disgusting' to you? What about people who say that illiterate people should be disenfranchised? What value system do they espouse? What looks disgusting is passing judgements on what other people should be doing when you (not you personally) have neither the moral authority nor the understanding of that person's business practices. Nor his charity work.

Values? What values are you talking about? And is it only Ambani who has to have these values, so that 'it doesn't look disgusting' to you? What about people who say that illiterate people should be disenfranchised? What value system do they espouse? What looks disgusting is passing judgements on what other people should be doing when you (not you personally) have neither the moral authority nor the understanding of that person's business practices. Nor his charity work.
Let me ask you a question Mariyam and no pun intended here. I am truly on the fence on this issue since at heart I am a libertarian and all for the people's freedom and rights and less govt. and yet I am living in the financial capital where majority are struggling, needless to say the scenario is worse in rest of the country. Now if I am sacrificing on my lifestyle would it be fair to question the Ambanis or Birlas or Tatas or whoever. I see the billionares in rest of the world dinating generously and pledging 99% of their wealth and their country is not in the state that ours is. I ask because there seems to be 2 kind of arguments. Either it is their money which it is. Or charity starts at home.

Does it matter if the figure is 9.4% or 4.9% or 49%? We both know that there is massive unemployment in India.
Ok, I've been reading this thread for a while. Now, firstly, I think the concept of charity is very subjective. I have no right to comment on what the other person does for charity or with his/her own money but I certainly do have a right to appreciate those who do and at the same time feel that billionaires like Ambani can surely manage to do more that what they are doing currently. Having said that, I have no idea about his charitable endeavors which is why I would be wrong to judge him based on that. I do have a problem with some of the comments here, though. Holy, you mentioned about the unemployment rate in India and that Antilla has a staff of 600 people and so he is in a way providing employment is an argument that is quite poor and naive IMO. For a man who is worth $27 billion, employing 600 people barely even qualifies as an argument. I mean, it's no great shakes. Secondly, there was this talk about him spending on whatever he wants as long as it is not 'getting in the way of others'. While building a 27-floor mansion at Altamount Road isn't, the amount of electricity that place consumes bloody well is. Heck, the man pays 70 lakhs a month as his electricity bill so you can only imagine the consumption, and that surely qualifies as 'getting in the way of others'. For a country where power is a huge problem, a house this big for the number people residing in it has no business to consume this much. Mind you, again, I am not commenting on the fact that he has built a huge mansion with his money, he is perfectly entitled to do that.

Let me ask you a question Mariyam and no pun intended here. I am truly on the fence on this issue since at heart I am a libertarian and all for the people's freedom and rights and less govt. and yet I am living in the financial capital where majority are struggling, needless to say the scenario is worse in rest of the country. Now if I am sacrificing on my lifestyle would it be fair to question the Ambanis or Birlas or Tatas or whoever. I see the billionaires in rest of the world dinating generously and pledging 99% of their wealth and their country is not in the state that ours is. I ask because there seems to be 2 kind of arguments. Either it is their money which it is. Or charity starts at home.
Ravi, I don't know. I wouldn't question someone over what he/she did with his/her money. If you are doing some good out of your own free will, it still doesn't give you the right to be judgmental on what others should do. * That is what I think* It is the prerogative of the billionaires what they do with their money. If they want to lead a lavish lifestyle, well, thats them. I may not like it, but its still their choice. And where do you draw the line? How much should Ambani donate? Is it fair of us to expect maximum donations from him, when we ourselves don't do that. Lets face it, people criticizing him shouldn't be on this website in the first place.:D How about they do overtime instead of posting on ICF and send the proceeds to a charity? Or how if they use the time doing some charity work? You get the drift.

Values? What values are you talking about? And is it only Ambani who has to have these values, so that 'it doesn't look disgusting' to you? What about people who say that illiterate people should be disenfranchised? What value system do they espouse? What looks disgusting is passing judgements on what other people should be doing when you (not you personally) have neither the moral authority nor the understanding of that person's business practices. Nor his charity work.
1. Do not derail the topic. When I said only literate people should have voting rights, I had given reasons for it:
1. Educated people are supposed to have a better view on policies and work done by various parties. 2. It would also be a great way do away with vote-bank politics to a great extent.
untill 1970, US also had Literacy requirements in place for voting. 2. Spending a huge sum of 9000 cr. for a house in a country like india is disgusting. the wealth needn't go into charity, it could go into investment in his various enterprises, that would not be disgusting. tht is my opinion.

Yes it does matter because the Tata's do a good deal of charity work and Iam certain they feed far more than 200 kids. Spending $2 Bill on a freaking house is soo retarded and disgusting on so many levels. Too bad you don't understand it given that the Hindu value system (and generally all Eastern cultures ) strongly urge us to live a simple life. Even Bill Gates and Warren Buffet have modest life styles and their philanthropy is simply astounding.
Buffet and Gates aren't your everyday people, these kinda people don't pop up every day.
No, I stick by it, Almost all of them staying in Mumbai City are Crorepatis. Not the suburbs necessarily. Bhag Bhag ! :D
:hmmm: I've met plenty of Mumbai people and lived with different people in Mumbai and everyone is a crorepati is EXTREMELY questionable
Thats being quite judgmental. Wonder what you have to say about sports stars, like say Sachin Tendulkar who has a fleet of luxury cars when in reality he could do with just 1 Santro. Given his dimensions, his legs also wouldn't be cramped even in a Santro. Last I read, he owns some 12 odd cars. Do you find that retarded and disgusting on so many levels? Too bad Tendulkar doesn't understand it given that the Hindu value system ( and generally all Eastern cultures) strongly urge us to live a simple life.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

2. Spending a huge sum of 9000 cr. for a house in a country like india is disgusting. the wealth needn't go into charity, it could go into investment in his various enterprises, that would not be disgusting. tht is my opinion.
Guess I owe you an apology. My response was rather harsh. Sorry about that. See, the thing is you are being very judgemental and have a black and white view on something that is not so clear. His 9000 cr that he spent on Antilla, have been invested in various enterprises by giving them business- construction, upholstery businesses, security etc. Had he just parked the amount with an investment firm, a lot of businesses wouldn't have made that much money. And this does trickle down to the common man who is employed with these businesses or derives some benefit from it. You can imagine the kind of employment this project generated. Albeit momentary. I'm not saying that this kind of a move to spend the 9000 cr is the best possible thing ever. But it does have its benefits too.

Secondly, there was this talk about him spending on whatever he wants as long as it is not 'getting in the way of others'. While building a 27-floor mansion at Altamount Road isn't, the amount of electricity that place consumes bloody well is. Heck, the man pays 70 lakhs a month as his electricity bill so you can only imagine the consumption, and that surely qualifies as 'getting in the way of others'. For a country where power is a huge problem, a house this big for the number people residing in it has no business to consume this much. Mind you, again, I am not commenting on the fact that he has built a huge mansion with his money, he is perfectly entitled to do that.
This is a damn good point!!! What about, for eg shopping malls, which consume a lot of electricity? Surely that is *wrong* from the same moral stand point also. Doesn't that also qualifies as getting in the way of others?

Guess I owe you an apology. My response was rather harsh. Sorry about that.
alright, no problems.
See, the thing is you are being very judgemental and have a black and white view on something that is not so clear. His 9000 cr that he spent on Antilla, have been invested in various enterprises by giving them business- construction, upholstery businesses, security etc. Had he just parked the amount with an investment firm, a lot of businesses wouldn't have made that much money. And this does trickle down to the common man who is employed with these businesses or derives some benefit from it. You can imagine the kind of employment this project generated. Albeit momentary. I'm not saying that this kind of a move to spend the 9000 cr is the best possible thing ever. But it does have its benefits too.
1. The entire labor has practically been wasted as one doesn't need 27-storey building for a luxurious living. 2. The construction material, the oil\diesel used to transport it to the site, the construction machines' n transport vehicular wear n tear, is wasted (as in, it came for use for the nation). 3. Alot of antiques and other stuff might have been imported from foreign, so that money is gone out of india. 4. monthly maintaince of the house (600 staff doing nothing productive) and electricity cosumption etc is a wastage. 5. the substantial sum of 9000Cr has a potential to make a huge difference to the nation (plus the employment generation in lacs) when invested as a whole in any sector of the economy(not talking abt charity).

This is a damn good point!!! What about, for eg shopping malls, which consume a lot of electricity? Surely that is *wrong* from the same moral stand point also. Doesn't that also qualifies as getting in the way of others?
As opposed to a single family using it all up, No. See, this is a pandora's box, if one starts to go into detail, the issue will never end. Yes, shopping malls are a huge concern with the sheer number of them being opened up these days and hence the resources being used up but these are atleast commercial complexes and not a single place of residence. I might be factually incorrect but I think it won't be wrong to assume that Antilla consumes more than quite a few malls. Again, if you build a tower, you'll need power to run the damn thing, but based on the current state of affairs in this country, that much for a family of 4? Seems like a waste.

To all those who are defending Ambanis, no one would have criticized them if they have spent ,say 100 crores to construct a posh bunglaow or something. He is constructing worlds costliest masion in a country where 40% of the country is poor , spending 9000 crores. This is huge..900/indian. 5400/family. Amounts to food for whole Indians for one month. How can he earn so much money? Thanks to crony capitalism which is prevalent in India and cheap labor cost . Unlike gates and Buffer who have made money through R&D, ambanis have earned their money by getting on with bribing politicians. A reason why NR NarayanaMurthyAzim premizi is different from Ambanis.

As opposed to a single family using it all up' date=' No. See, this is a pandora's box, if one starts to go into detail, the issue will never end. Yes, shopping malls are a huge concern with the sheer number of them being opened up these days and hence the resources being used up but these are atleast commercial complexes and not a single place of residence. I might be factually incorrect but I think it won't be wrong to assume that Antilla consumes more than quite a few malls. Again, if you build a tower, you'll need power to run the damn thing, but based on the current state of affairs in this country, that much for a family of 4? Seems like a waste.[/quote'] Replying from phone so very short answer. As ling as he is paying for his electricity, why are you hating on him? He can consume as mych as he wants. btw there isnt a electricity shortage in mumbai. No power cuts. There are no rules or max limit for elrctricity cinsumption. Its the lame govt that cant provide electricity all over. Rather that hting on ambani, hate 90% of the slum dwellers who STEAL electricity. They have the money to pay for it as well.

Replying from phone so very short answer. As ling as he is paying for his electricity' date=' why are you hating on him? He can consume as mych as he wants. btw there isnt a electricity shortage in mumbai. No power cuts. There are no rules or max limit for elrctricity cinsumption. Its the lame govt that cant provide electricity all over. Rather that hting on ambani, hate 90% of the slum dwellers who STEAL electricity. They have the money to pay for it as well.[/quote'] Mate, I know you folks are born and brought up in Rich Mumbai and step out in your car. But India is not Mumbai. Go to any remote village, you can see 10 hours /day powercut. There are many in small town who can afford to pay , yet they dont get power. I know it because I come from a village, and it is 8 hrs/day power-cut in my village in summers.

Are yaar....I didn't know slums in Mumbai are actually Beverly hills in disguise? People owning beemers, huts worth lakhs...I swear, last time I read somewhere 65% of Mumbai's population live below poverty line...these guys must be good in hiding their wealth huh?

And where do you draw the line? How much should Ambani donate? Is it fair of us to expect maximum donations from him, when we ourselves don't do that. Lets face it, people criticizing him shouldn't be on this website in the first place.:D How about they do overtime instead of posting on ICF and send the proceeds to a charity? Or how if they use the time doing some charity work? You get the drift.
++ Sums it up.. Where does one draw the line? For every billion he invests/does charity, he will always have another billion to spend on him (in whatever way)... people will always complain about that other billion. Danveer Karnas, maseehas of ICF... what would you do with your first 1crore? ( or have done, for whoever has it already) - you would cry over paying that 30 Lakh tax too. how many of you are not already paying heavy EMIs for a bigger house, better car...there are endless points about your hypocrisy. By creating such a big business, and creating 10s of 1000s of jobs, he has earned the money and the right to spend the way he wants. Comparison with Gates and Buffet is unfair too. They come from different background, different upbringing, perspective...