Umesh yadav-pretty impressive.

If you can't move the ball then at his pace he is a sitting duck for any decent international batsman. You need to bowl over 150 if you cannot move the ball to be able to knock international batsmen over. Back in the early-mid nineties India had a real pacy bowler who bowled just as fast as Srinath...his name was Prashant Vaidya. I got the opportunity to bat against him. The guy was fast...much faster than Iqbal Siddiqui, Salil Ankola, etc my friend who played for Vidarbha said but he had no movement. The moment a batsman adjusts his reflexes to suit the bowler's pace, Vaidya became a sitting duck. No wonder he didn't play more than a few ODIs for India
Umesh has developed a consistent outswinger and is often bowling an incutter. He is also reversing the ball and bowling inswingers then. So he has the ability to both seam, swing and reverse the ball at 90 mph. That is good. Now he needs to practice hard and learn to bowl to a plan without cutting down on pace. That is the most important and often ignored aspect of good bowling. Vaidya, when he actually played international cricket, was bowling medium-fast, not even fast-medium. I heard he was much quicker to start with but that pace was not really tested at international level. Even 150k bowlers need to move the ball somewhat and learn to bowl to a plan. I don't think it is a choice between pace, movement or accuracy. To be a complete international strike bowler 1) reasonable pace ( a reasonable % of deliveries above 135 k ) or high pace 2) some movement 3) ability to bowl to a plan 4) reasonable fitness 5) reasonable accuracy 6) a good bouncer are all required. We should create a pool of bowlers who can bowl between 135k to 150k and ultimately choose those who can develop the other qualities. Pace is just the starting point but we emphasize that a lot because there are so many Indian pacers bowling under 135k or bowling above it and not using the bouncer even as a surprise weapon ; thereby not taking full advantage of their superb swinging abilities. Batsman just camp on the front foot and negate the swing rather than be tentative to come forward because of the intermitent bouncers.
He has a decent out swinger. He got KP with the outswing. I don't understand what people are talking about?
Nor do I. He bowled some beauties at 90 mph that hit perfect line and length and seamed away. Jaffers that had england batters groping. He needs more games and patience. Jaffers at 90 to 92 mph and people are whining, the mind boggles
He has a decent out swinger. He got KP with the outswing. I don't understand what people are talking about?
Exactly. He was bowling outswingers, incutters and later on even bowling reverse swinging indippers, all at 140 k to 146 k. Plus he has a good bouncer and was also trying the yorker at the death. This guy can become really good as a bowler. Even Aaron was moving the ball both ways during the recently concluded Irani trophy. It would be wrong of people to think that these two guys are all about pace. They just need a little experience and we should persist with them and encourage them to bowl well without reducing pace.

My words exactly what Shastri said , what on earth was the team management thinking when Umadkat was played ahead of him in SA , you have to be blind to know both are at different levels at this point, this guys has everything to be successful.Faster then any Indian debutant or most international bowlers , he is a FAST BOWLER,seems to be grounded if he remains fit , he can only get better, way better then Ishant or even Munaf at debut in terms of fitness, action , strength.

He also needs to work on how to vary lengths and deceive the batsman. He did it with Samit Patel. It is not easy to judge the length of the ball at good pace for every batsman early. Little late and batsman is either LBW or bowled or aught behind. He should not be too predictable in terms of length he bowls and needs to go fuller length time and again as his natural length is short of length and then surprise the batsmen with bouncer. If he is accurate he wont be easy to hit anyway and if he is hit, he will certainly have every chance to pick up a wicket.

Must play all the 8 ODIs in the season and possibly a test or two vs WI as well, so that he is ready for the Aus tour. We need to give Aaron a go as well, hopefully after winning the series at Mohali. Am surprised why he has been dropped from the t20. Would have been a good exposure for him.
IMO, Aaron should not be taken to Aus. He is still does not look ready with the kind of outing he had in Irani Cup. He should play full FC season this year and he will be ready by the season ends. Aaron should only be picked if it is absolutely necessary and there is no option for Aussie tour.

Unleash the 2 pacers at Mohali.. (Wishful thinking though).. I thought UY bowls a bit short and get's hit. He needs to pitch it up bit further. Looking at his yorkers, he really needs to mix it up. He bowled the yorkers in the end overs. He should try atleast one yorker and one short ball every over, right from the word go. He needs an in cutter. At the most he can bowl straight. He should get some advice from PK (if he's not already) to get an in cutter going. Badly missing Zak. He would've been a perfect mentor to bowlers like Umesh. Another thing I noticed is..Dhoni likes when you take wickets. He does shows his displeasure if you bowl wayward (which UY was doing occaisionally) but the moment UY started taking wickets, I saw Dhoni talking with him and advicing him and overall he felt happy. I like that. Back you bowlers, Captain. Calm their nerves. Guide them and am sure they'll deliver.

Unleash the 2 pacers at Mohali.. (Wishful thinking though).. I thought UY bowls a bit short and get's hit. He needs to pitch it up bit further. Looking at his yorkers, he really needs to mix it up. He bowled the yorkers in the end overs. He should try atleast one yorker and one short ball every over, right from the word go. He needs an in cutter. At the most he can bowl straight. He should get some advice from PK (if he's not already) to get an in cutter going. Badly missing Zak. He would've been a perfect mentor to bowlers like Umesh. Another thing I noticed is..Dhoni likes when you take wickets. He does shows his displeasure if you bowl wayward (which UY was doing occaisionally) but the moment UY started taking wickets, I saw Dhoni talking with him and advicing him and overall he felt happy. I like that. Back you bowlers, Captain. Calm their nerves. Guide them and am sure they'll deliver.
Agree. It is the captain who creates a team and its players, who makes great players out of rookies. Captain's confidence and backing helps a lot. Dhoni needs to be aggressive and back Yadav and be attacking and have slips as well when he balls. We saw How Yadav swung the ball away yesterday. Dhoni also needs to encourage pace because it is an essential aspect of a bowling attack which gives variety to work with.

Another thing is if they are not going to give Aaron and rahul Sharma a go in the next 3 ODIs, they should be released from the squad so that they can play for their state side in the Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy. Yes its just another t20 tournament, still it would be better for them to play competitive matches than warm the bench through the series.