Ra.One-Superhero Flick

rkt.india

Heard that there are three Chinese characters in the movie named - Iski Lee' date= Uski Lee, Sabki Lee :laugh:
That's not even the worst part! There are many more lame moments... right after SRK fights Iski Lee, Uski Lee, Sabki Lee, Priyanka Chopra says, " can we go for dinner" to SRK. SRK replys, "sure, whatever you want to eat, except chinese...mai abhi abhi khake ayaa" Sanjay dutt is the master of the three chinese (I don't know how that's possible but w/e) Priyanka and Sanju both are special appearances

Seems like a mirror-image strategy of the one followed by Rajni's Robot. If you leave aside the awesome production quality and impressive graphics, the movie was pretty mediocre The plot lacked depth, the acting was average, the editing was amateurish at times. Yet, the movie raked in 100s of crores. Looks like Ra. One is following a similar strategy. Its sad that box-office success seems to be slightly divorced from actual movie quality and more dependent on target promotion and reaching the correct audience.
Yup, thats a good analogy. Now that you mention it, their strategy does seem similar. Rajni's/ SRK's cult image attracts people, and then there is the marketing blitz. There are just so many events and promos and interviews. There are just so many reviews that we don't know whom to trust. In the end, we end up thinking " Oh well, lets just watch it anyways". Of Robot and Ra.One, I liked Robot better. And mind you, I can't stand the sight of Rajnikant and I'd slit my wrist if SRK asked me to. :P In the future, movies success will not be judged by how good the content or the acting is. They will be judged by how good the movie is marketed. For eg: 1) Delhi Belly: A very average, nay, vulgar movie which had nothing more to offer than your regular Ramu Shyamu heist flick. Add in a vulgar song, the Aamir Khan brand name, and some explicit ( and thoroughly unrelated to the movie) scenes and voilà, you have a marketing mix that draws the gullible people. 2) Aarakshan. The movie had nothing, whatsoever to do with reservations. Yes, for a small period, they talked about reservations, but by and large it was a movie about milking cows and taking tuitions under same roof. The promos and ads for the movie were not just incorrect, but intentionally misleading. Its not just SRK who is guilty of this, its the general trend. On the bit about quality, quality never sold. Not just at the box office, but even when it comes to books. Thats just the way we ( humans) are. We have this insane urge to be entertained 24x7. A quality movie takes a lot of emotional and intellectual investment. Why take the effort?