Should Ravindra Jadeja be tried in Test cricket at Home

Not a bad shout, RJ averages close to Raina in first class cricket in batting, and close to Ashwin in bowling, so he deserves a few chances in India, This team on Indian pitches gives the right balance Sehwag Gambhir Dravid Sachin Laxman Dhoni Jadeja Harbhajan Ojha/Mishra/Ashwin/PK Zaheer Ishanth Reasons it would work include no proper batsman who can claim this no.6 position his own as of now (Pujare/Rahane/Sharma/Kohli/Yuvi/Raina/Badrinath), Dhoni is underutilized in Tests, and the very good first class record of Jadeja, though he should be kept faraway from the team during overseas tours

Not a bad shout, RJ averages close to Raina in first class cricket in batting, and close to Ashwin in bowling, so he deserves a few chances in India, This team on Indian pitches gives the right balance Sehwag Gambhir Dravid Sachin Laxman Dhoni Jadeja Harbhajan Ojha/Mishra/Ashwin/PK Zaheer Ishanth Reasons it would work include no proper batsman who can claim this no.6 position his own as of now (Pujare/Rahane/Sharma/Kohli/Yuvi/Raina/Badrinath), Dhoni is underutilized in Tests, and the very good first class record of Jadeja, though he should be kept faraway from the team during overseas tours
How many opportunities have the bolded players been given so far to conclude that none of them can make the number 6 position his own!!!

Till India develops a geniune allrounder (Pace bowler who can bat), they should stick to 4geniune bowlers (spin or Pace) to do the job of taking 20 wkts. Adding Jadeja may probably work in Indian condition but he is a certain failure in AUS,ENG & SA condition...anyone remember Vijay Bharadwaj ...nothing against him but he was setup for failure in Australian condition in 1999-2000 series. Even though he could have turned out to be a decent ODI allrounder for India.

Good to see him continue his good form and carry over the confidence of doing well in ODIs to first class cricket. With India playing lots of home series over the next 2-3 years, who knows he mat get a call up for the test side too if he keeps doing well both with the bat and ball, especally when we go through the rebuilding phase post the retirement of the big 3.

And you come to this conclusion based on what? He's yet to play there. And AFAIK he did decently in ODI's in England. Too early to get him into the test team though.
Key word is TEST MATCH instead of ODI...like I mentioned about Vijay Bharadwaj and that is why Raina was still good (in ODI & T20) even after disastrous Test series in England. His batting technique is good but nowhere near Test standards, that does not mean he shouldn't be given a chance but I believe he is not ready yet.
Till India develops a geniune allrounder (Pace bowler who can bat)' date=' they should stick to 4geniune bowlers (spin or Pace) to do the job of taking 20 wkts. Adding Jadeja may probably work in Indian condition but he is a certain failure in AUS,ENG & SA condition...[/quote'] The fact is our bowlers cant take 20 wkts with 4 bowlers even against poor teams like New zea land.So whats the point is sticking with 4 bowlers just for the sake of it.And the thread is mainly about playing him in Indian conditions too tbh and it is in Indian conditions where we need 5 bowlers with the flat wkts we often play on. Jadeja was the leading wkt taker 2 years ago.He has taken more wkts in 2 seasons than Bharadwaj has taken in his entire FC career. How can u seriously compare Jadeja with Bharadwaj :facepalm:

It's Early man. Going on current form and FC record you may say he deserves a place as an all-rounder. But we need to wait for a season. He is still young enough so if he keeps performing he'll get a chance. And I'm certainly against playing a team in Sub-continents and an other outside it. It just trashes the player's confidence and morale.

It's Early man. Going on current form and FC record you may say he deserves a place as an all-rounder. But we need to wait for a season. He is still young enough so if he keeps performing he'll get a chance. And I'm certainly against playing a team in Sub-continents and an other outside it. It just trashes the player's confidence and morale.
We already doing that by playing 2 pacers + 2 spinners at home and 3 pacers and 1 spinner away from home.Does that mean it crushes the confidence of our 2 nd spinner and we should always play 2 pacers and 2 spinners even is Aus and Eng? If we play Jadeja we will just drop a batsmen instead of a Pacer which we do now when we play in Sub continent.But our chances of winning rather than drawing at home regularly increases significantly.As well as it protects our pacers from breaking down due to work load (like Zaheer and Ishant ) would would enable us to win away too if we have our best bowlers available.
Key word is TEST MATCH instead of ODI...like I mentioned about Vijay Bharadwaj and that is why Raina was still good (in ODI & T20) even after disastrous Test series in England. His batting technique is good but nowhere near Test standards' date=' that does not mean he shouldn't be given a chance but I believe he is not ready yet.[/quote'] I never said Jadeja should be brought into the team, too early as he still needs to cement his place in ODI's. He is improving but you are labelling him a failure without even seeing him perform in those places.
I never said Jadeja should be brought into the team' date=' too early as he still needs to cement his place in ODI's. He is improving but you are labelling him a [i']failure without even seeing him perform in those places.
I agree he is not ready for tests yet. But cementing place in ODI is not a must to get into a test side. We would have never had Dravid if we had applied that criteria. Some are good in ODIs. Some are good in Tests. Some are good in both. So there should not be any dependency between ODIs and Tests.