which way is she moving

Holysmoke

@ for those who see it moving only in clockwise dir.. Slant your head towards left so that the left chin touches the left shoulder blade. You can see her moving anti-clockwise ! And this how i think it works. The entire basis of this illusion is based on the fact that it is a 2-D image. The lady does rotate clock-wise for a given number of cycles ( whose number i havent been able to figure out yet).If you look closesly at her hips , you would find that at a point she seems to be facing forward ( i.e she is not actually rotating) and just swaying her right leg sideways. This is the point when the illusion of her changing direction is created. We might not see this happening every time , coz i am sure its got something to do with how the brain perceives this visual image.

Just cover the rest of her body, and concentrate on the legs. The illusion IMO is caused because it's a silhouette.. so when the legs cross each other, it's not clear which leg is in front, and depending on which leg the brain perceives is in front during the cross-over, the direction changes accordingly.

No matter what I do still can only see clockwise:confused_smile:
Just concontrate on her legs knee down.. and cover the rest with your hand. When you think the front leg is behind, try to imagine it in front, and slowly take off your hand.

I agree - i only see clockwise nomatter how i see it. First thing i noticed in the picture after reading the title is her foot that is 'bouncing' on the 'imaginary ground' ( ie, where her heel & the shadow of heel touch momentarily). And the foot is moving clockwise for SURE- if you put a clock down in the same plane as her 'lower' foot, the hands of the clock will spin in the same direction as her lower foot. Once i spotted that, nomatter what i do, it cant seem counter-clockwise.