Rajkot woman stages semi-nude protest against dowry demand

Gambit

Rajkot woman stages semi-nude protest against dowry demand 5 Jul 2007, 0219 hrs ISTspacer.gif,spacer.gifTIMES NEWS NETWORK RAJKOT: Conservative Rajkot went into convulsions on Wednesday when alleged mental and physical abuse by her husband's family drove a 22-year-old woman to strip to her underwear and walk through the city in protest. imgys3.jpg BARE STATEMENT: 22-year-old, Pooja Chauhan, took to the streets in underwear and protested against police inaction in arresting her husband and in-laws (TOI Photo) Pooja Chauhan said she had taken to this unique protest after being constantly harassed for not bringing dowry and bearing a girl-child. The effect was immediate. The police arrested her husband Pratapsinh Chauhan, parents-in-law and neighbours Veji Bharwad and Vinu Dalit on Wednesday, after she threatened to scale up her protest and march nude to the police commissioner's office if she did not get justice. "The arrests were made on the basis of Pooja Chauhan's complaint. We are also planning to take action against Pooja for indecent behaviour in a public place. However, we will examine her mental condition before taking any action," said Rajkot police commissioner K Nityanandam. Residents in the busy thoroughfares of Race Course Road and Yagnik Road were left gaping in shock on Tuesday evening as Pooja walked in her inner-wear, wielding a baseball bat and bangles, headed for the police commissioner's office. She walked for about an hour and went home later as the police commissioner was out of station. Police sources said Pooja had a love marriage with Pratapsinh, a resident of Gandhigram area, about three years ago, but her in-laws kept harassing her for dowry. The harassment increased when she gave birth to a daughter eight months ago. She finally left home five months ago and has been living on her own with her daughter, Anjali. Sources said police inaction on her complaints had driven her to stage such a protest. "When her complaint against her in-laws failed to evoke any response, she tried to immolate herself at the office of the police commissioner last Friday but police personnel stopped her," said a source in the commissionerate.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Semi-nude_anti-dowry_protest/articleshow/2176007.cms

Guest dada_rocks

I am not taking anything away from this woman but I smell sthg fishy . reasons are following. (1) Dowry law is heavily biassed against husband and their family all u have to do is shout dowry and whole family goes behidn bars . They ask for evidence later on. So noone has to resort to this kind of tantrums to be heard in matters of dowry (2) Survey showed in Bihar, this may or may not be true for Gujarat, 80% of dowry cases are fake.

Okay ladies if you are reading this, here is a tip. Do not, repeat do not, wear underwears of different colours, it puts us men off. Back to the topic, isn't Kabira from Rajkot? I mean he returns and this is what happens in the town.:giggle:

I was going to post the same lurker...atleast take care to match.. Waisay with a baseball bat in hand she was not really looking to seduce men.:tounge_smile: Waisay I seriously feel she may have mental issues.I am also surprised that the "breaking news" channels have not gone to town on this issue...may be there is hope ......

wow ! This is the FIRST time i have heard something like this happening in India.. For a mother to do such a thing , she must have been harrassed badly i presume. I really hate the concept of dowry. I think it makes a mockery of the sanctity of marraige.

Seriously...how can you ever respect a guy who takes or asks for dowry....
I guess it started as a practice among the wealthy and slowly started spreading among all the classes of the society !

^^ You would be surprised how frequent that is these days. A very close relative of mine had to undergo that situation. Their "daughter"-in-law had an extra-marital affair and when the hubby got a sniff of it he was pi$$ed. Her father was called and it became very messy. Suprisingly her father refused to be embarassed and told the family that they better bury this or else...Long story short the girl goes home, sues her in-laws for torture/dowry and the son/mom/daughter now had to appear on XYZ date or face non-bailable warrant! Withoiut even going to trials they would be behind bar for unspecified time..without bail. Luckily some strings were pulled and situation avoided but it was quite an eye-opener. The laws are heavily loaded in favour of woman for things like this.