Where is Duncan Fletcher?

Broadly speaking, the coach is at fault only in the case of 2 scenarios 1) Picking up the wrong players. 2) Wrong strategy or tactics in a game. I think we picked the best available to us, and we weren't outfoxed by Aus. We were simply battered. Can't blame the coach if fielders drop halwa catches and the experienced batsmen repeatedly fail to click. Having said that, I don't think this guy adds any (or indeed detracts) value to the side. Had we had a scarecrow/ traffic cone in the dressing room in his place, the results would have been the same. On those grounds, I would like him replaced. Preferably with someone Indian.
That alone is not the role of coach. Motivating the players, ironing out flaws that creep into the game, identifying errors developed in someone's game and helping them correct it, .. If you are going to blame the players alone heck anybody can become a coach.
That alone is not the role of coach. Motivating the players' date=' ironing out flaws that creep into the game, identifying errors developed in someone's game and helping them correct it, .. If you are going to blame the players alone heck anybody can become a coach.[/quote'] Or do away with a coach and save some money.
I didn't quite follow. We knew that Fletcher was a fatso and yet we hired him. If the fitness of the coach is that important we wouldn't have hired him? Let me ask you a question: Would the result vs Aus (and Eng) be different with Kirsten as coach? As per me, the biggest difference between the two coaches is that Kirsten knew how to keep the team motivated. Fletcher doesn't seem to have that much control. Also, it will be difficult to motivate a team that has just won the WC.
Yes. results under Kirsten would have been definitely different. May be we were not aware at the time of appointment. He is bringing negative energy to the team. That lazy fatso Fletcher is bad juju. I say roll his head :protest:
While players are having picnics. And we guys sit in front of computer screens and discuss all this.
Unfortunately we are a very small minority who care about Tests. Most of the cricket fans and cricket followers in India don't have the same passion for Tests and if India wins the tri-series next month, they will forget everything and come IPL they will be cheering for the same players who let India down in Tests. Sad but true :sad: And BCCI knows it fully well and that's why you see a longer version of IPL this year spanning 53 days. It's a matter of time before IPL goes on from 3-5 months similar to NFL, NHL, NBA or MLB and most of the fans will simply lap it up. Guess our dream of seeing India win an overseas series in SA and Aus will remain unfulfilled :sad:
Unfortunately we are a very small minority who care about Tests. Most of the cricket fans and cricket followers in India don't have the same passion for Tests and if India wins the tri-series next month' date=' they will forget everything and come IPL they will be cheering for the same players who let India down in Tests. Sad but true :sad: And BCCI knows it fully well and that's why you see a longer version of IPL this year spanning 53 days. It's a matter of time before IPL goes on from 3-5 months similar to NFL, NHL, NBA or MLB and most of the fans will simply lap it up. Guess our dream of seeing India win an overseas series in SA and Aus will remain unfulfilled :sad:[/quote'] :sniffle: :sniffle:
Unfortunately we are a very small minority who care about Tests. Most of the cricket fans and cricket followers in India don't have the same passion for Tests and if India wins the tri-series next month' date=' they will forget everything and come IPL they will be cheering for the same players who let India down in Tests. Sad but true :sad: And BCCI knows it fully well and that's why you see a longer version of IPL this year spanning 53 days. It's a matter of time before IPL goes on from 3-5 months similar to NFL, NHL, NBA or MLB and most of the fans will simply lap it up. Guess our dream of seeing India win an overseas series in SA and Aus will remain unfulfilled :sad:[/quote'] Sounds great :yay:
I didn't quite follow. We knew that Fletcher was a fatso and yet we hired him. If the fitness of the coach is that important we wouldn't have hired him? Let me ask you a question: Would the result vs Aus (and Eng) be different with Kirsten as coach? As per me, the biggest difference between the two coaches is that Kirsten knew how to keep the team motivated. Fletcher doesn't seem to have that much control. Also, it will be difficult to motivate a team that has just won the WC.
Difficult to motivate after WC.... Possibly As a point of comparison, how did the Aussies go in tests and ODIs while they won 3 ODI WC in a row. Answer, they dominated tests and ODIs as world champs and No. 1 ranked side throughout. Coach has part to do with motivation but the players need to take accountability for their own performance and have some pride in their output for their country... Sadly there is to little fight from many in this Indian side, but the one thing you can take to the bank, there will be no accountability for those that failed, there will be a skapegoat which will invariably be the coach (again) and all will carry on that indian cricket is in the space it is because of this latest anti-christ. WAKE UP and make the playrs accountable instead iof looking for skapegoats and poor inaccurate excueses.

After Team India's string of loses in various formats, head coach Duncan Fletcher can not escape the heat. Can he? http://www.espnstar.com/cricket/international-cricket/news/detail/item867773/Opinion:-Let-results-be-the-judge/

After the experience with Greg Chappell, it is understandable if the BCCI suggested to Duncan Fletcher a suggestion buttressed by the reported million-dollar pay cheque that he should be wary of opening his mouth. Fletcher might have smiled secretly to himself at this, for he was never one to open his mouth anyway. Temperamentally he is a back-roomer, working best with strong captains who execute the team plan; a consultant rather than a ring master. He learnt early the advantages of keeping the media at arm's length; during a series in South Africa, when he was criticised for giving the England players a break, he wrote, ţut I think I won some respect from the players because I stood by my beliefs and did not bow to media pressure. But he was inscrutable even then. In 2005 Scyld Berry wrote in The Telegraph, Ŧven when he removes his sun glasses, Duncan Fletcher does not give much away. In public England's coach is so inscrutable that he makes the Sphinx look like (the great mime artiste) Marcel Marceau. Seven years later, Marceau's reputation is in no danger from Fletcher. But back then, Fletcher was in the process of taking an England team residing at the bottom half of international rankings to an Ashes win and paving the way for their climb to number one. In India, it has been the reverse. He has overseen the world's number one team lose every Test in England and Australia. And in the Twenty20 World Cup, it has been yet another year outside the semifinal. Yet, amazingly, no questions are being asked of the coach. Such is the power of silence. Fletcher has escaped scrutiny and criticism, which is strange in sport where managers and coaches, especially high profile ones are constantly reminded that with power comes responsibility. This means either that the authorities don't think the coach is important or the coach has little to do with the way India have been playing since he took over. Neither is a happy alternative. To be fair to Fletcher, when he took over India were on the top, and had just won the 50-over World Cup. It was an ageing team, and there is only one way to go from the top. He was in a no-win situation. India have worked best when the coach and captain have forged a strong relationship. Like Sourav Ganguly and John Wright although, Wright, knowing which side his bread was buttered focussed on not rocking the boat. Fletcher worked best with Nasser Hussain, and would have found in Mahendra Singh Dhoni a similarly strong-minded personality, although with the Indian, some of the conclusions may not have been arrived at from a purely cricketing perspective. Had Greg Chappell been in Fletcher's place, there would have been calls for his head long before this. I have said this before: Chappell was more Indian than Indian in the manner of playing favourites, using the media and indulging in the kind of politics that has kept Indian coaches away from the top job. Fletcher hasn't rubbed either the BCCI or the media the wrong way but neither has he done anything spectacular. And in the end, a coach must be judged by results. To lose eight Tests in a row and finish poorly in the T20 World Cup (however you might sweeten that pill by saying India won four of five matches) might have spelt the end of most coaches. Like players, they are only as good as their last performance, and Fletcher's last few performances haven't been up to scratch. It is possible that many of the plans that Fletcher introduced in England like his insistence on placing the country above club or county were rejected outright by the BCCI which kowtows to the corporates and the players and is therefore unwilling to see the big picture. No coach, foreign or Indian can hope to change a system that is too well-entrenched, too much in thrall of money and political power and too fuelled by interests outside of cricket. Perhaps Fletcher deserves our sympathy and not marching orders. But at least one of two questions must be answered satisfactorily: why bother to appoint a coach and pay him a huge salary if he has no role to play? And, why would a coach of Fletcher's stature allow himself to be used thus? Maybe there are a million reasons for the latter.

Duncan doesnt check in yet.. Bumpty bump...Has Grandpa Duncan forgotten that there is an English tour? Duncan is supposed to be with the team only 3 days before the first test...Compare this with Englishmen who are having a thorough preparation, first a camp in Dubai, followed by 3 warmup games.

Fletcher is the Invisible Man of Indian Cricket http://www.wisdenindia.com/cricket-article/fletcher-invisible-man-indian-cricket/33728?single_col_view=true

There is no denying that the Indian players have immense respect for his technical knowledge and strategic abilities – apparently, the idea not to offer England any experience in playing spin prior to the first Test was Fletcher’s – and they speak about benefitting immensely from their one-on-one sessions with the coach as far as sorting out technical difficulties is concerned. But he doesn’t seem to have developed a personal rapport with them like Wright or Kirsten did.