Nearly half of Indian women have not heard of AIDS

gorah_pindu

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/DEL76280.htm No doubt another product of India's wierd inability to treat sex openly.
...and lack of basic education...... Renuka Chaudhry ...the "men hating " minister had to tell the women of India to trust the condom more than their husbands...and for a change I agree . I believe that is the solution for most of the women in India.

>>>>Many rural women have been infected by their husbands who work in the cities and visit prostitutes. Stigma stops infected husbands from telling their wives they are HIV-positive. Even if the men tell...how many women in rural India can take a stand and protect themselves....?.

I cant believe somebody is claiming HALF the women in India havent even heard about AIDS. The figure is just simply too high to buy...
Sriram, 70% of the population lives in rural areas, more than half the women are illiterate and my estimate would be 75% uneducated ie. don't know much beyond writing their name. Such a scenario is hardly difficult to conceive.

Guest dada_rocks

Baap it has nothing to do with treating sex openly.. ye raha literay rate among women india ka: 40 percent. ( literacy ka cut-off hai those who can read or write their names) I wud say 50% awareness about AIDS is big number given pathetic rate of literacy.

Sriram' date=' 70% of the population lives in rural areas, more than half the women are illiterate and my estimate would be 75% uneducated ie. don't know much beyond writing their name. Such a scenario is hardly difficult to conceive.[/quote'] Shwetabh , we shoudnt consider illiteracy and aids awareness as something related to each other. As an analogy, people may not know to read or write , but that still doesnt stop them for having monthly house accounts. Sex may not TALKED about in India , but ofcourse every middle-aged sexually active women know about. And AIDS is something that has got massive awareness off late. Now , to say 250 million havent even HEARD about it , seems a little airy-fairy. Though , we have to think about who the women that are being to referred to here. If the survey thinks a 12 year old is girl and asks her - " Do you know about AIDS ? " the obvious answer would be a NO. But i am almost sure most middle-aged women have heard about AIDS

aids or not, our population only seems to be growing. what percent of our deaths are cause of aids?
You would be surprised to hear this Yoda. The latest most comprehensive AIDS survey has said the number of people suffering from AIDS has DECREASED.

You think that's bad? I'm quite educated' date=' and I didn't know that a man could get AIDS from oral sex until my friends mentioned it 2 weeks ago, a day before my 26th Birthday! How scary is that?...[/quote'] :whatchutalkingabout even i didnt know that

Shwetabh , we shoudnt consider illiteracy and aids awareness as something related to each other. As an analogy, people may not know to read or write , but that still doesnt stop them for having monthly house accounts. Sex may not TALKED about in India , but ofcourse every middle-aged sexually active women know about. And AIDS is something that has got massive awareness off late. Now , to say 250 million havent even HEARD about it , seems a little airy-fairy. Though , we have to think about who the women that are being to referred to here. If the survey thinks a 12 year old is girl and asks her - " Do you know about AIDS ? " the obvious answer would be a NO. But i am almost sure most middle-aged women have heard about AIDS
I dont think its inconcievable that women havent heard of AIDS when doctors still have to use obscure innuendo to describe something as simple as sex, and most rural women may not ever see one.

You think that's bad? I'm quite educated' date=' and I didn't know that a man could get AIDS from oral sex until my friends mentioned it 2 weeks ago, a day before my 26th Birthday! How scary is that?...[/quote'] When people say oral sex is 'less likley' to transmit HIV, they probably mean: 1). It is moderatly less likely that virons will enter the body via the mouth. 2). At least one user of this type of sex is safe - the reciever - halving the odds.

MP is right. Chances of getting infected are slightly lower when it comes to oral sex. If you have a wound in your mouth... (small cut, ulcer etc) then things might be more dodgy. Or if she has period :thumbs_down: It's not just AIDS but other STDs you need to watch out for. Judging by the results of that "virgin" poll we once did majority of you won't be catching anything :haha: :hysterical: