Karthik and Jaffer

Jaffer is batting like i expected him to, but Dinesh Karthik has been outstanding. I must say, i never expected performances like this from him. After all these years of watching one makeshift keeper-opener come and go, i thought he would be another addition to that long list. But this kid looks like the real deal - fifties in every match since Cape Town and now he is doing it in England, can't criticise that.

I hate to blow my own horn here but there you go Pred, technique is all good but it is the grit and how much can you grind is what helps the players. Sure they get out at times to lose technique but if you have good resolve and ability to see the ball well ball after ball a bit short on the technique side of things won't really cause too much havoc. I've seen India use guys like SS Das that had the best technique but no effort to put bat to ball hard enough and we all know where that kid ended up.

As I type, Karthik charged Sidebottom and pulled him for a four. So much for Sidebottom having an edge on Karthik as was suggested by some section of the media after Karthik's first attempt in England. Karthik was smart enough to open up a bit more and take a guard slightly soutside leg stump. Now it seems like he has countered the incoming balls since he made that minor adjustments really well. I guess there is a lesson for the English batters to look up and learn from Karthik. They are right now struggling against the 2 left hand bowlers from India.

This partnership rocks. Smart, sensible defense combined with fearless strokeplay. These two have not been afraid to attack. Where Dravid, Tendulkar and co. have remained rooted to their creases and unwilling to improvise or play beyond a few basic, predictable coaching manual shots, these two have been bold. Karthik just charged Sidebottom five minutes ago and pulled him for four over square leg. Jaffer's now gone after a short ball, pulling to midwicket. When was the last time any Indian batsman, barring Sehwag, has shown that sort of initiative and panache? Bravo. If we win this game, this partnership will be one of the key points where we seized it.

I guess there is a lesson for the English batters to look up and learn from Karthik. They are right now struggling against the 2 left hand bowlers from India.
English? Heck, everyone in our dressing room had better be watching and taking notes. This is the sort of batting that wins momentum, sessions, and eventually tests. This is what the much vaunted middle order has lacked for so bloody long. Let's hope they learn.
kartick has got runs but he is not a long term solution. Jaffer fails one test per series but he has been getting runs so i am all for him.
Why not may I ask? He's got runs in South Africa and now he's getting runs in England. Two places where Indian openers typically don't really do well. Why do you think he is not a long term solution?
Why not may I ask? He's got runs in South Africa and now he's getting runs in England. Two places where Indian openers typically don't really do well. Why do you think he is not a long term solution?
He may not be a sehwag but he likes playing his shots. Also every now and then luck goes his way. Same was the case with sehwag, played his shots rode on luck but when bowlers figure you out and start feeding you balls where you are likely to go for you shots thats when you start getting out cheaply to a NEW ball. i want kartick to come 2 or 3 down.

karthik is our future.. i have been his fan ever since he played gutsy innnings in SA.. if we get couple of players with his type of attitude.. we will be blessed.. brain, guts, grit, responsibility, never say die attitude.. the way dhoni took his place in tests, ODIs, in media.. anyone could have crumbled in complex and confidence.. but he fought his way in saying IF YOU CANT TAKE ME AS A KEEPER I WILL COME BACK AS A BATSMAN.. Before he didnt even have batting skills like this but worked on it... which someone like veeru can never do..

Jaffer is batting like i expected him to' date=' but Dinesh Karthik has been outstanding. I must say, i never expected performances like this from him. After all these years of watching one makeshift keeper-opener come and go, i thought he would be another addition to that long list. But this kid looks like the real deal - fifties in every match since Cape Town and now he is doing it in England, can't criticise that.[/quote'] Pred , do you remember what you had asked me to quote you on , If Karthik made runs ? ( more specifically a century ? ) :D

The difference between karthick and Sehwag is that Karthick shows application. He also seems to be thinking about his batting and changes his approach. Sehwag on the other hand tries the same thing every time and IMO lacks application/grit.

Sehwag is out and out aggressive not with standing the conditions. He'll only play his cricket one way. Karthik is smart enough to adjust his game accordingly. I won't go around comparing Sehwag vs Karthik as that would be really stupid considering Sehwag was one of the better openers in the last 5 years or so but Sehwag takes longer to work his form back given his flamboyant approach.

Jaffer is batting like i expected him to' date=' but Dinesh Karthik has been outstanding. I must say, i never expected performances like this from him. After all these years of watching one makeshift keeper-opener come and go, i thought he would be another addition to that long list. But this kid looks like the real deal - fifties in every match since Cape Town and now he is doing it in England, can't criticise that.[/quote'] Changed your tune:hysterical:You spent the last few months mocking him! He will be a future indian captain. Thats a guarantee