England vs South Africa 2012

if we got to use the same balls as they did then we should have no complaints, it doesn't matter what ball they use, they are the home team they should get the choice. Our team was just not good enough .
For pitches I agree as you have time to get used to conditions in a country, but how can you get used to different balls when you see them for the first time at the start of the Test series? They didn't use those balls for warm-up games and were only used for the Test matches. Home advantage goes till pitches, not tailoring the ball to suit your strenths.
I think most of the equipment is already standardised. Remember hue and cry about "extra" webbing in Dhoni's wk gloves in 2008 when India toured Aus. It quickly died down when a picture was shown of Gilchrist's gloves which had as big a webbing, if not bigger, than Dhoni's gloves :haha: Coming back to the point yes every equipment is standardised in all sports and that's what needs to be done in cricket as well if not already done. Taking the earlier example, if we don't do it then somebody like Akmal may start keeping wkts with huge oversized gloves. Not that would help Akmal much but you get the point :giggle:
Yes I do remember that but how would you standardize bats and pads? There are two kind of pads available in the market now - fibre outside and fibre inside. The outside fibre is light helps to run (Sachin uses them), the inside fibre helps absorb impact so bat pad is small. I doubt you can standardize all equipment in sport. Ball is one of them. Currently, everything is fine though. Also note not all balls of the same brand in the same year are same! Some are heavier, some light - very, very very difficult to standardize.
Yes I do remember that but how would you standardize bats and pads? There are two kind of pads available in the market now - fibre outside and fibre inside. The outside fibre is light helps to run (Sachin uses them)' date=' the inside fibre helps absorb impact so bat pad is small. I doubt you can standardize all equipment in sport. Ball is one of them. Currently, everything is fine though. Also [b']note not all balls of the same brand in the same year are same! Some are heavier, some light - very, very very difficult to standardize.
All equipment should be standardised from pads, gloves etc. Some of these specifications will need to be subjective, say pads coz not all players are the same size and there can't be one size for the pads. In this case standardisation has to be done on the material that can be used for the equipment (say only cotton, fibres allowed, no plastics for the pad etc.) and other rules of thumb that says that the pad can't be higher than 6 inches over the knee for a batsman. For other equipment which doesn't depend on the size of teh player, say bats and ball, we only have weight and size in the specifications currently. For cricket ball they have to standardize the materials used for manufacturing the ball (type of leather), the lacquer that is used for the ball (the stuff that gives ball its shine), no. of coats of lacquer etc. If it can be done in soccer, American football etc. why not in cricket?
All equipment should be standardised from pads, gloves etc. Some of these specifications will need to be subjective, say pads coz not all players are the same size and there can't be one size for the pads. In this case standardisation has to be done on the material that can be used for the equipment (say only cotton, fibres allowed, no plastics for the pad etc.) and other rules of thumb that says that the pad can't be higher than 6 inches over the knee for a batsman. For other equipment which doesn't depend on the size of teh player, say bats and ball, we only have weight and size in the specifications currently. For cricket ball they have to standardize the materials used for manufacturing the ball (type of leather), the lacquer that is used for the ball (the stuff that gives ball its shine), no. of coats of lacquer etc. If it can be done in soccer, American football etc. why not in cricket?
Interesting take. I wasn't talking about pad sizes but material which aren't standardized. Same with gloves, shoes and helmets. The duration of a football game is a major plus. Notice how we don't quite give a damn about balls in ODIs and T20s. Not appropriate to compare to football IMO. Also, even in football it's not exactly same - it varies. You just have players adapting - I think we are just thinking too much :smiley:
For pitches I agree as you have time to get used to conditions in a country' date=' but how can you get used to different balls when you see them for the first time at the start of the Test series? They didn't use those balls for warm-up games and were only used for the Test matches. Home advantage goes till pitches, not tailoring the ball to suit your strenths.[/quote'] they used it for all four matches, what happened after first test then. that is just cope out to cover up for horrible performance.
they used it for all four matches' date=' what happened after first test then. that is just cope out to cover up for horrible performance.[/quote'] They did but you can't get used to a new ball in the middle of a series. E.g., let's say India come up with a new ball which somehow grip the surface, comes on slowly off the pitch and keeps low. And then Indians start using the ball in a Test series against their opponents. Chances are ndians will sweep the opponents. Not saying that India wouldn't have lost the series in Eng even if they had used other balls but it was a cheap to come out with balls that swung more just for that series.
they used it for all four matches' date=' what happened after first test then. that is just cope out to cover up for horrible performance.[/quote'] I think india was clearly outplayed by the poms, indians lacked ability to play the exagerated swing of the new duke , and indian bowlers other than zak/praveen lacked abiity to use it well, so we lost.