England vs South Africa 2012

But is that new to test cricket' date=' making it boring all of a sudden ? Or was it boring all along, thank god the IPL+CL rescued the game ?[/quote'] It lacked "intensity" of the build up. It was also probably an anti-climax to what was expected - A tight contest between bat and ball between the worlds No.1 and No.2 Test team.s I probably think that's what MechEngg and Sabby are referring to (but finding it difficult to put into words) when they say "boring" especially after I read their posts now and not the literary sense of it. Is that normal for Test cricket? Yes. Would you expect more than that from these two sides on the first day of a Test match? Yes
But is that new to test cricket' date=' making it boring all of a sudden ? Or was it boring all along, thank god the IPL+CL rescued the game ?[/quote'] we had boring days even before ipl...even before t20 was created thts why i asked u 3-4 times do u want to say test cricket is never boring ? cos i do find it boring from time to time isnt it normal ? :dontknow:
It lacked "intensity" of the build up. It was also probably an anti-climax to what was expected - A tight contest between bat and ball between the worlds No.1 and No.2 Test team.s I probably think that's what MechEngg and Sabby are referring to (but finding it difficult to put into words) when they say "boring" especially after I read their posts now and not the literary sense of it. Is that normal for Test cricket? Yes. Would you expect more than that from these two sides on the first day of a Test match? Yes
ya it lacked intensity ..and honestly thats wht makes test cricket interesting to me and many times i find ot boring.. many people found it boring does not changes the fact i enjoy it on diff occasions does not make me lesser fan or ipl fan :wall:

^ You're expecting the pendulum swing a lot faster than it often does in test cricket. Even if it isn't a tight contest, the efficiency by which a top team decimates another can also be fun to watch (at least when its not India and especially when its the neighbors). Disagree ?

cos i do find it boring from time to time isnt it normal ? :dontknow:
I guess our perceptionof boring test cricket is very different, i would call it boring only when both teams pile on the runs for a dull draw and rarely anything else. Lets leave it there.

I don't think he's expecting a "pendulum swing" every session. He's expecting a decent contest with the bat and ball from two top teams. The pitch has sold him his expectations here, unfortunately. But, I would still recommend to be a little more patient and wait till end of day 3 and 4,5. I expect the pitch to turn and reverse swing come into play for the faster bowlers. Just for the turn, I would give England the upper hand - Swann against "Tahir" Square.

^ You're expecting the pendulum swing a lot faster than it often does in test cricket. Even if it isn't a tight contest, the efficiency by which a top team decimates another can also be fun to watch (at least when its not India and especially when its the neighbors). Disagree ?
yes some times ...but its so much better of both teams are playing at there best no ? :--D and no i dont like one team playing well and other not even putting a fight ...i dont know why .. beauty with test cricket is ur a bowler u need to be really good to earn wickets and if ur batsman u need to work hard for runs.. isnt tht wht makes it interesting ? atleast thts wht makes it interesting to me .. thats hte patience aspect of game and thats wht didnt happened today so i called it little boring ..now ur welcome to disagree maybe u enjoy certain different aspect of game ..i actually understand wht ur saying but it never worked for me i dont like one sided matches.. i like tests bcs there are always mini battles going on thts wht makes it enjoyable to me anyway im really sleepy and probably talking gibberish will hopefully iwll be able to express my self much better tomorrow :P
I don't think he's expecting a "pendulum swing" every session. He's expecting a decent contest with the bat and ball from two top teams. The pitch has sold him his expectations here' date=' unfortunately. But, I would still recommend to be a little more patient and wait till end of day 3 and 4,5. I expect the pitch to turn and reverse swing come into play for the faster bowlers. Just for the turn, I would give England the upper hand - Swann against "Tahir" Square.[/quote'] yes ...but still it will become interesting from day 3 ,4,5 it wasnt today and thats wht im saying :sad: or wht i feel im normally more patent but come on..u know how excited im abt this series :giggle:
I don't think he's expecting a "pendulum swing" every session. He's expecting a decent contest with the bat and ball from two top teams. The pitch has sold him his expectations here' date= unfortunately. But, I would still recommend to be a little more patient and wait till end of day 3 and 4,5. I expect the pitch to turn and reverse swing come into play for the faster bowlers. Just for the turn, I would give England the upper hand - Swann against "Tahir" Square.
Isn't a tighter contest the same swing of the pendulum at a much faster rate ? Contrasting periods of batsmen scoring runs and bowlers getting wickets or getting close to it in a matter of few overs ? I agree with the rest of the post.
I guess our perceptionof boring test cricket is very different' date=' i would call it boring only when both teams pile on the runs for a dull draw and rarely anything else. Lets leave it there.[/quote'] cool i have no problem with that :two_thumbs_up:
Isn't a tighter contest the same swing of the pendulum at a much faster rate ? Contrasting periods of batsmen scoring runs and bowlers getting wickets or getting close to it in a matter of few overs ? I agree with the rest of the post.
Well, sometimes yes and not. I think in today's game if you want to look at it objectively - South Africa's bowling wasn't up to the mark which made it "less intense". Now even if Morkel, Steyn, Philander would have been "up to mark" England may still have not lost wickets and ended up with the same score as they are currently on but the contest would've been much tighter worthy of a No.1 and No.2. That said, I will definitely say that it's just too early to judge whether this contest has lived up to it's build. I will wait for all three Test matches before I pass a verdict. However, purely on Day 1 England were the better team and it looks like the SA bowlers haven't arrived to the party as yet.

see maybe u guys took wht i said wrongly i just said i found today's play little boring .. ofc 4 days are left and we have seen fantastic come backs before and thts naother thing which makes test awesome but today intensity was missing and play was boring ofc it will change im actually sure they will make a good come back tomorrow..im not writting of whole test match just today's play actually its kind of wrong judging day's play imo so i guess thts where im going wrong should let atleast 1 innings end i agree

Sluggish South Africa lack innovation Despite the dry, unresponsive surface which offered South Africa almost nothing, their attack also lacked the intensity and aggression that Allan Donald has been infusing in them since he took over.

Steyn was battling with either a physical niggle or a bruised ego, although Donald was adamant it was not an injury which appeared to affect the way he bowled. On previous tours, and most recently in New Zealand, he unashamedly showed his annoyance when he did not see immediate success and glimpse of that emerged again today. During his first spell, he constantly and perhaps even desperately clutched the advertising boards in between overs, he had his ankle strapped later on in the day and conducted a publicly-viewable animated chat with Gary Kirsten in the changing room shortly before the second new ball was taken.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-south-africa-2012/content/current/story/573130.html

i wish our test side was as boring as england. they have perfected the art of winning tests on seaming tracks. it might not be the most pleasant thing to watch but fair play to them, on these tracks they are a couple of levels above everybody else right now. tomorrow they will rack up 500, bowl the saffers out for 250 on day 3, set them 400 to win and cruise home on days 4/5.

i wish our test side was as boring as england. they have perfected the art of winning tests on seaming tracks. it might not be the most pleasant thing to watch but fair play to them, on these tracks they are a couple of levels above everybody else right now. tomorrow they will rack up 500, bowl the saffers out for 250 on day 3, set them 400 to win and cruise home on days 4/5.
come on we are far from boring :cantstop: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FnYsTBcbvE]2011 Melbourne Boxing Day Test - MS Dhoni out for 23 - Bowled by James Pattinson - YouTube[/ame] very entertaining cricket