Recent cricketing terms and cliches

When I was growing up (in the 70s and 80s), we never heard the following cricketing terms and cliches, which have come to dominate (& contaminate) the vocabulary. (a) Batter: What the heck is that? Barry Bonds is a batter. The semi-solid substance used to make idlis and dosas is batter. Sachin Tendulkar is a batSMAN. (B) Back yourself: Back then, the only thing you could do is to back yourself into a corner when Holding & Marshall were firing cherry-bombs at your head. © Hitting the right area: Back then, the right area referred to the perfect locality where dad wanted to build his dream house. On the cricket field, you just bowled a good line and length. "Right area" - whatever. Any of you old-timers want to add more?

Inducker: uh what ? is it an Inswinger? half-tracker - I seriously don't know...pitched short at half pitch? A long hop ..might be the same as half-tracker. OTOH..nobody uses the word - "played on". They always say bowled on an inside-edge. Shoulder arms.. we used to call it "judging the ball". Really that was strange. Wrong-un - call it a googly dummy! Jaffa - We never used it. Nowadays always used for deliveries that get Dravid out. He is always dismissed on a Jaffa or unplayable delivery, or an absolute beauty. Another cliche for Dravid - The ball was so good, only he could've edged it. WTF..any other batsman would have played it differently so he wouldn't have edged it.

Inducker: uh what ? is it an Inswinger? half-tracker - I seriously don't know...pitched short at half pitch? .
That reminded me of another one: "BACK OF A GOOD LENGTH." Huh? It's "SHORT of a GOOD LENGTH, you silly johnny-come-latelys:angry_smile:!" Now, am beginning to sound like a bitter, ol' fool :regular_smile:
i always find description of 'crack on pitch' funny. by the 3rd day cracks will start opening up. look at these crack they have smooth edges. Ball hit the crack and turned miles.
:hysterical: He will be unplayable when the cracks start to widen (I swear I have heard it!) Cracker of a game or What a cracker!