Umesh Yadav - As brainless as ever

He still goes for too much and concedes at the rate of odis in Tests. His 3/100 in 20 overs won't be of much use unless he starts turning them into 3/55 off 20 overs.
He bowls aggressive lines. He will need to learn how to bowl defensive line outside off like Southee did for NZ. More aggressive bowlers for NZ bracewell and boult too went for runs.
He bowls aggressive lines. He will need to learn how to bowl defensive line outside off like Southee did for NZ. More aggressive bowlers for NZ bracewell and boult too went for runs.
Look you can't consistently go for 4 or 5 runs an over in Tests coz even if you are picking up wkts it won't hurt the batting side that much or put too much pressure. You can be attacking without conceding runs like a odi and I haven't come across too many wkt taking pacers who concede runs at a high rate. Look at WI in 80s or Ws, McGrath, Donal, Steyn etc. All the good to great ones can take wkts and dry up runs. Even if you have to concede runs a RR of about 3-3.5 is still acceptable but seriously RR of > 3.5 is a problem.
Look you can't consistently go for 4 or 5 runs an over in Tests coz even if you are picking up wkts it won't hurt the batting side that much or put too much pressure. You can be attacking without conceding runs like a odi and I haven't come across too many wkt taking pacers who concede runs at a high rate. Look at WI in 80s or Ws' date=' McGrath, Donal, Steyn etc. All the good to great ones can take wkts and dry up runs. Even if you have to concede runs a RR of about 3-3.5 is still acceptable but seriously RR of > 3.5 is a problem.[/quote'] That is what I am saying I agree with you. His SR ia still 45 but if he cain maintain his ER, he can get a very decent average too. He will have to learn from Steyn. His ER right now is 4.5, but if he can bring it around 3.3 what Steyn has right now, he will be averaging aroundl 27. He needs to bowl defensive lines outside off with off side field when there isnt much help for him rather than bowling middle-leg line.
That is what I am saying I agree with you. His SR ia still 45 but if he cain maintain his ER' date=' he can get a very decent average too. He will have to learn from Steyn. His ER right now is 4.5, but if he can bring it around 3.3 what Steyn has right now, he will be averaging aroundl 27. He needs to bowl defensive lines outside off with off side field when there isnt much help for him rather than bowling middle-leg line.[/quote'] Umesh has the potential to be a sub-26 averaging pacer. Let's see how BCCI handle him. IMO after the NZ series he should work with NCA, MRF pace academy, Joe Dawes and preferably a consultant like Craig McDermott to imrpove. No point in him playing shorter format games. He should focus on improving his game by the time Eng tour rolls on.
Umesh has the potential to be a sub-26 averaging pacer. Let's see how BCCI handle him. IMO after the NZ series he should work with NCA' date=' MRF pace academy, Joe Dawes and preferably a consultant like Craig McDermott to imrpove. No point in him playing shorter format games. He should focus on improving his game by the time Eng tour rolls on.[/quote'] I am sorry but i dont see it.he has no guile,no idea of what it takes to get various batsmen out,all he does is run in hard and bowl at 140+ short of length and hope it works and it rarely will work in sub continent.
I am sorry but i dont see it.he has no guile' date='no idea of what it takes to get various batsmen out,all he does is run in hard and bowl at 140+ short of length and hope it works and it rarely will work in sub continent.[/quote'] If he can consistently pitch it up around off he will do well. The key is for him to learn how to do it.
ya i read it... but my question is he is like this.. every one knows but he is in team to get wickets its always desireable to have a bowler who does not goes for any runs and take wickets but try to remember last few test series our team was full of bowlers who never took wickets and went for runs too definately umesh needs to improve but im not worried about him.. right now it way sound weird but im more worried about our batting we wont survive against england with such bad top order and raina at no 6.. :((
If he can consistently pitch it up around off he will do well. The key is for him to learn how to do it.
if he can do that he will be one of the best in world but its easier said then done.. people like steyn make it look easy its all about staying fit and gradually improving .. btw why does he even tries to bowl short? it works well as surprise but most of non subcontinent guys are pretty good against short stuff its the ball he bowled to mcculum which he should concentrate on.. last game it came in this time it went away and took edge..hope some one tells him to concentrate on it :wall:
I would take Umesh Yadav currently over Zak...Looks a lot more commited than Grandpa Zaheer...Infact has outperformed him this series
I would drop Zak simply based on the commitment he showed while batting, or lack of it. If Zak had only hung around with Ashwin we could have added a few more runs which may come back to haunt us.
I am sorry but i dont see it.he has no guile' date='no idea of what it takes to get various batsmen out,all he does is run in hard and bowl at 140+ short of length and hope it works and it rarely will work in sub continent.[/quote'] That is what most bowlers do. McGrath used to do the same and it worked. This is the key and basic for a fast bowler. But he does not do it consistently that is his problem. He needs to be consistent in that regard.
Umesh needs to bowl the way he did in the second innings and he will be fine. The bowling coach and captain need to guide him more as he tends to forget the lessons he has learnt. His strike rate of 46 is really right up there with the best and his potential needs to be harnessed properly through guidance.
If he tends to "forget the lessons he has learnt", he didn't really learn anything, did he? As for SR, if the bowler goes at 5 an over the SR won't help much as 3/100 off 20 overs will not win you many matches.

I think after this tour Joe Dawes will be free and he should be available at NCA and working with young fast bowlers. Otherwise, he is of no use. He cannot do anything with these bowlers while with national team. This is the free time when he should be working with these guys.

Nearly a month for Umesh to work on his shortcomings now. rather than working at NCA, I hope he goes back to Nagpur to work with Subroto Mukherjee, his coach at Vidarbha. I am glad he picked those 2 wickets in the 2nd innings. He looked a little lost in his 1st spell of the 2nd innings and could have completely lost his confidence had the 2nd spell been bad too. Now he knows he has a secure place in the test side. Needs to work hard on getting his line right and he will do fine as a test bowler.

Nearly a month for Umesh to work on his shortcomings now. rather than working at NCA, I hope he goes back to Nagpur to work with Subroto Mukherjee, his coach at Vidarbha. I am glad he picked those 2 wickets in the 2nd innings. He looked a little lost in his 1st spell of the 2nd innings and could have completely lost his confidence had the 2nd spell been bad too. Now he knows he has a secure place in the test side. Needs to work hard on getting his line right and he will do fine as a test bowler.
Line that is what is most important.