Tendulkar and Zaheer retirement discussion [Poll added]

Tendulkar and Zaheer retirement discussion [Poll added]  

1. 1.

To those folks who are now falling head over heels to quote that magic number - Thirty Nine - as clinching proof that Sachin can no longer perform as an international test class batsmen, let me ask you this - How many of you predicted that, less than two years ago he would, at age Thirty Seven have one of his best years as a test batsmen yet? I realize that public memory is short, so it is important to remind us all that it was not that long ago that Sachin averaged 80 in a calendar year in test cricket and that other older players were infact quoting him all over the media for inspiration. And these are not your average types that we are talking about. When Michael Hussey was going thru that incredibly lean period with the bat that nearly led to him being dropped from the test side, he cited Tendulkar as his inspiration that age is no barrier for performance. So the eyes and ears that were gleaming new at 37 are no longer good now? How did anyone come to that conclusion? Besides, lets not kid ourselves that Sachin has been failing in test cricket for two years now. Since the world cup ended in April - May 2011, he has played 13 test matched in a span of 14 months. And 8 of those was part of that 0-8 drubbing we got handed by Australia/England. And the reason why I quote that is because its hard for ANY batsmen to be averaging 75 in a test series, even as the castle is crumbling around them. Lets get real, the highest averaging Indian in the Ind-Aus series was Kohli, who could muster an average of 37!

To those folks who are now falling head over heels to quote that magic number - Thirty Nine - as clinching proof that Sachin can no longer perform as an international test class batsmen!
As every day is passing, he is not getting younger and as he is aging, he may be mentally wanting to play but body does not respond as he would want it to be. It is universal and he is not the first one to go through this. To continue to be at his best, he will need both his mind and body respond together but that is where things start going wrong. Symmetrical reactions of body and mind do not happen anymore.

Stop clinging onto 2010, Sachin was in prime form then no one denies but Dravid had probably one of the best series of his career last year, yet one bad series and he knew he was done. Also its not just that sachin hasn't been scoring, its the way he gets out these days. The most simple balls which are bowled straight at stumps, he's missing those.

To those folks who are now falling head over heels to quote that magic number - Thirty Nine - as clinching proof that Sachin can no longer perform as an international test class batsmen' date= let me ask you this - How many of you predicted that, less than two years ago he would, at age Thirty Seven have one of his best years as a test batsmen yet? I realize that public memory is short, so it is important to remind us all that it was not that long ago that Sachin averaged 80 in a calendar year in test cricket and that other older players were infact quoting him all over the media for inspiration. And these are not your average types that we are talking about. When Michael Hussey was going thru that incredibly lean period with the bat that nearly led to him being dropped from the test side, he cited Tendulkar as his inspiration that age is no barrier for performance. So the eyes and ears that were gleaming new at 37 are no longer good now? How did anyone come to that conclusion? Besides, lets not kid ourselves that Sachin has been failing in test cricket for two years now. Since the world cup ended in April - May 2011, he has played 13 test matched in a span of 14 months. And 8 of those was part of that 0-8 drubbing we got handed by Australia/England. And the reason why I quote that is because its hard for ANY batsmen to be averaging 75 in a test series, even as the castle is crumbling around them. Lets get real, the highest averaging Indian in the Ind-Aus series was Kohli, who could muster an average of 37!
By your logic, Tendulkar should never retire.
Still this was a India-SL ODI series. ODI matches in a bilateral tourney against SL should be played by India A players only.
What explains him missing the Irani Trophy? He has had enough rest, hadn't done well vs NZ, looked rusty, could so easily have played the season opener, not to be. And here he is playing even inconsequential matches for MI or last year when despite being injured he was part of the MI dugout. Not sure what message it sends to a youngster.
What explains him missing the Irani Trophy? He has had enough rest' date=' hadn't done well vs NZ, looked rusty, could so easily have played the season opener, not to be. And here he is playing even inconsequential matches for MI or last year when despite being injured he was part of the MI dugout. Not sure what message it sends to a youngster.[/quote'] Maybe cause Irani trophy is a low level. Too many players with high averages in Indian domestic cricket. And Dinda type bowlers are the best around... Only a few of them are good batsmen in testing conditions. Better to play in SA against better bowlers even if T20 to know where he stands, how his ability is at this age at high levels in testing conditions. No one needs much warm up for a home series unless your playing after a long time for which he will play Ranji opener. You can't gain much form for Tests scoring centuries of Dinda's anyway so 1 game will do for warm up. :nice:
Maybe cause Irani trophy is a low level. Too many players with high averages in Indian domestic cricket. And Dinda type bowlers are the best around... Only a few of them are good batsmen in testing conditions. Better to play in SA against better bowlers even if T20 to know where he stands, how his ability is at this age at high levels in testing conditions. No one needs much warm up for a home series unless your playing after a long time for which he will play Ranji opener. You can't gain much form for Tests scoring centuries of Dinda's anyway so 1 game will do for warm up. :nice:
Are you talking about a certain MS?:--D
Are you talking about a certain MS?:--D
Yeah cause scoring 200 in NZ and cracking a match winning 151* in Aus was not under testing conditions at all :giggle: What's hilarious though are the Indian batsmen with a average on or below 40 on Indian pitches against Dinda like bowlers. One media hyped player comes to mind :giggle:
Yeah cause scoring 200 in NZ and cracking a match winning 151* in Aus was not under testing conditions at all :giggle: What's hilarious though are the Indian batsmen with a average on or below 40 on Indian pitches against Dinda like bowlers. One media hyped player comes to mind :giggle:
Scored a duck in his last innings :winky:
Maybe cause Irani trophy is a low level. Too many players with high averages in Indian domestic cricket. And Dinda type bowlers are the best around... Only a few of them are good batsmen in testing conditions. Better to play in SA against better bowlers even if T20 to know where he stands, how his ability is at this age at high levels in testing conditions. No one needs much warm up for a home series unless your playing after a long time for which he will play Ranji opener. You can't gain much form for Tests scoring centuries of Dinda's anyway so 1 game will do for warm up. :nice:
Let hope he has finally realized where he stands after struggling against almost every fast bowler during the tournament
Let hope he has finally realized where he stands after struggling against almost every fast bowler during the tournament
Well either he's finished or out of form. tbh looking at other great sportsmen like Schumacher making a comeback at 40 failed. It's just way it is, around 40 you are no longer as good as you were. I think he's finished rather than out of form. Hate to say it but seems that way. Time to replace him with Mandeep :vroam:
U_G seems to be knowing things which nobody else does. May be he knows Sachin personally.
Maybe you have a selective memory which enabled you to miss multiple threads on this forum regarding the same... Adding one thread where it was already discussed and there were multiple threads at the time where posts discussing the same were posted. But for Sachin worshippers such excuses as not playing due to kids' school vacations is perfectly reasonable :haha: http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=285086
any source where he cited 'school vacations' as reason for missing that series?
Is the following good enough for you? http://sports.ndtv.com/ind-sl-2012/news/item/193320-why-sachin-tendulkar-decided-to-skip-sri-lanka-tour
Why Sachin Tendulkar decided to skip Sri Lanka tour NDTV Correspondent Last updated on Wednesday, 11 July 2012 16:02 New Delhi: Sachin Tendulkar will not be taking field when India play Sri Lanka later this month as he has opted out of the series. And the reason for this is that he wanted to spend some quality time with his children. "I requested BCCI that I wanted to spend time with my family. This is the time for school holidays. If I had decided to go to Sri Lanka, I would have started my preparation by now. But I wanted to spend some quality time with my children since after this I would be playing continuously for next 10 months," he said. "Holidays are different from spending time during school days or on weekends."
Or maybe you can google "Tendulkar skipping SL series due to kids' school holidays" to get more info. I am sure hunger and love for the game is the reason why Tendulkar opted out of SL series but deemed it fit to strut his stuff at the Champions League :giggle: