Abuse on Youtube

Ram

Lately , there has been some discussion over the abuse ( swear words , expletives) that takes place in this forum.. I am but tempted to bring up Youtube's case here. Their comments feature is a open invitation for a free-for-all abuse fest. We would all be considered saints , compared to the abuse that takes place there. Just see some video regarding India ( eg - India's military prowess) and you will know what i am talking about. Yet , I havent seen ANY attempt by Youtube , or their owners Google , to stop this abuse from happening. Surely, they are aware of what is going on. It is very surprising they havent done anything about it , yet. And after all , is abuse on the net , something that can be monitored ? How much can you police ? or more pertinently , how much should you police ?

The thing about youtube is, that it's a place primarily for watching videos, and not for having a discussion. The primary focus of our site and forum however is discussion, and hence you have to police it a little bit. On youtube as well, spammers are automatically removed.. Swear words are removed to some extent, but with the popularity of that site, manual moderation is next to impossible.

Youtube is the biggest source of abuse fest that is out there. Never ever bother reading the comments. Watch the video and get moving' date=' that's about it.[/quote'] Its not about what we , as viewers , are supposed to do that i am interested in Ravi. This topic is more about Google's policy of literally condoning such abuse . Its almost as if they want it to take place , so that more people feel the need to visit their site and hence , generating more hits for them.

There are so many videos posted on a daily basis and the number of comments that are posted there makes it impossible to moderate. The users have the option to turn off the comments and even moderate the comments though. I think the posters that post videos should moderate the comments before being published.

Its not about what we , as viewers , are supposed to do that i am interested in Ravi. This topic is more about Google's policy of literally condoning such abuse . Its almost as if they want it to take place , so that more people feel the need to visit their site and hence , generating more hits for them.
The Vast majority of ppl don't visit youtube to abuse or the view comments as far as i know MM. They just visit to view the videos.

The thing about youtube is, that it's place primarily for watching videos, and not for having a discussion. The primary focus of our site and forum however is discussion, and hence you have to police a little bit.
Some of the videos have more than 5000 comments, and include full fledged discussion about that topic.
On youtube as well, spammers are automatically removed.. Swear words are removed to some extent, but with the popularity of that site, manual moderation is next to impossible.
They could switch all this abuse off by one single stroke - Disable the comments feature. But they havent.

They could switch all this abuse off by one single stroke - Disable the comments feature. But they havent.
Ah the comments feature is useful you have to admit. Policing discussions on youtube is impossible considering how big the site is. So It's a compromise: between having no comments at all, and having a comments section which is sometimes full of abuses. I'd go for the latter, 'coz in more than half of the vids the comments would be actually useful.

Ah the comments feature is useful you have to admit. Policing discussions on youtube is impossible considering how big the site is. It's a compromise: between having no comments feature, and having one which is full of abuses. I'd say go for the latter, 'coz in more than half of the vids I find something useful from the comments.
Its not the use of any feature that governs whether it stays or not Varun , its the abuse. On that principle , youtube should disable its comments feature.

Why Marirs? No one is being forced to read the comments. It's a slippery road when you start over moderating anything.
That is flawed logic GKD. Here too , no one is forced to read the posts, then why moderate ? I am trying to drift the topic along the lines of " Maybe its google's policy to leave this abuse go unchecked" , but looks like no one here is interested to think on those lines , which is understandable. Not everyone is as jobless as me.

But Google initiated large scale changes in Youtube after they took over , like removing astronomical amounts of copyrighted videos that were there before. But they havent done anything about the comments thingy.

But Google initiated large scale changes in Youtube after they took over ' date=' [b']like removing astronomical amounts of copyrighted videos that were there before. But they havent done anything about the comments thingy.
Abhe you cannot compare copyrighted material with free open source abuse material :finger: (friendly one).
That is flawed logic GKD. Here too , no one is forced to read the posts, then why moderate ?
I never said that content should be moderated here :dance: but I fully understand if they do. There is a difference between understanding and agreeing.
I am trying to drift the topic along the lines of " Maybe its google's policy to leave this abuse go unchecked" , but looks like no one here is interested to think on those lines , which is understandable.
Google's policy is only to dominate the world and bend backwards for communist China :hysterical:
Not everyone is as jobless as me.
What happened to your job? Why don't you ask Google chacha for a job :rose:

Well On youtube.. if you are the owner of the video you can remove comments .. soo google/youtube has given that authority to owners.. ..Also, you can report abuses etc to them.. they can also delete your account if you are stealing your video and stuff like that.. meaning partial moderation is there I also dont buy that it is impossible to moderate sites like youtube because its too vast... those people at google get paid big bucks in R&D.. they can easily come up with ways only if they want.... it is just a business strategy not too moderate heavily on that site..

Youtube' date=' its on the owner to remove abuses.[/quote'] Precisely. Video owners have the option to disable comments altogether if they wish. The onus is on them to make sure that the pages featuring their videos don't become feeding frenzies for trolls. Youtube has over 5 million videos - they aren't going to nor should they be expected to clean up pages. The videos we have (on youtube.com/indiancricketfans) generate plenty of abusive sh*t - mostly from p@kis, but i make sure that things don't get out of hand by deleting nasty posts