Bal Thackeray passes away

1983-2011

Why the riot alert? He died of natural causes not terrorist attack....his time is gone' date=' let's move on[/quote'] Tell that to the mob that is bent on demonstrating grief through burning vehicles, killing innocent people and looting shops. Even day before yesterday, a small group of his fans went around asking shops to shut down in grief, till the police arrested them. And even MGR and Rajkumar died of old age, that did not stop his followers from rioting in grief. And this is political. There are powerful people who might even want a riot on this occasion.

Tell that to the mob that is bent on demonstrating grief through burning vehicles, killing innocent people and looting shops. Even day before yesterday, a small group of his fans went around asking shops to shut down in grief, till the police arrested them. And even MGR and Rajkumar died of old age, that did not stop his followers from rioting in grief. And this is political. There are powerful people who might even want a riot on this occasion.
Put all those fkers in jail. Ek din jail mein danda parega to sab mardaangi bahaar nikaal ke ayegi phoot phoot ke. Btw, why is the film fraternity there to shower their condolence...is this the case of I scratch your back and you scratch mine?

Put all those fkers in jail. Ek din jail mein danda parega to sab mardaangi bahaar nikaal ke ayegi phoot phoot ke. Btw' date=' [b']why is the film fraternity there to shower their condolence...is this the case of I scratch your back and you scratch mine?
Well, I don't blame them. Pre 1998, when the underworld was very strong in Mumbai and the police was no big help, Bal Thackray was their final court of appeal. There was a time when, if a underworld don invited film stars to private parties, they had no option but say yes. And if they were asked to pay millions in security money, they did. And if they were asked to do things they did not want to do (like casting a certain woman in a film), they had to do it. Going to the police was not a good option then. At that time, when they needed a respite, Thackray was their only option, only protection. In a way, he ran a parallel government and did a better job of it than the elected government. So, yes, there is good reason for some of the film actors to grief right now.

Well, I don't blame them. Pre 1998, when the underworld was very strong in Mumbai and the police was no big help, Bal Thackray was their final court of appeal. There was a time when, if a underworld don invited film stars to private parties, they had no option but say yes. And if they were asked to pay millions in security money, they did. And if they were asked to do things they did not want to do (like casting a certain woman in a film), they had to do it. Going to the police was not a good option then. At that time, when they needed a respite, Thackray was their only option, only protection. In a way, he ran a parallel government and did a better job of it than the elected government. So, yes, there is good reason for some of the film actors to grief right now.
Spot on. As an observer, he definitely is an interesting character. Powerful orator in Marathi and very good cartoonist in his own right.