Sexual violence against women in India

rageaddict

This incident doesnt qualify. 1. This girl doesnt belong to the middle class. Middle class has problems with rape "when even our girls are not safe". 2. She doesnt belong to the urban crowd. This crowd is the most vocal when something happens to them. 3. Media's main readership is the urban middle class and it is a mouthpiece of their opinions. You will never hear Bollywood stars tweeting their outrage over it. Or the English newspapers taking over this case. They open their eyes and mouths when the danger reaches their own doorsteps. Till then it is chalta hai.
Why didn't you create a new thread for every ****ing rape? Why didn't you make a candlelight vigil for every rape victim? You are part of the society as well and probably a champion of the poor. So, pray tell us why you ignored such incidents yourself before you point fingers at rest of India. Guys, not everything is a class war. Lets try to fix our culture to prevent all rapes.

Don't think that Delhi protests were against a very specific case, even though all of that was triggered by event of that bus rape. A series of such events culminated in these protests. At the most I can say that victim being a college student herself, students across Delhi could associate themselves with her misery and trauma and came on road. It hardly had anything to do with class or caste.

They are not the only victims from the middle class, but it always takes a middle class victim for whom candle light vigils(CLV) are organized. Jessica Lal was a model, but why were there CLVs for her? Where was the CLVs for the kids in Surinder Koli's case? Why doesnt SRK and others tweet their outrage for the less fortunate (but as much Indian) victims? Do you think that if a similar brutal rape had happened in Delhi but to a poor lady in a slum, there would have been the same outrage? Let us be frank here. The protest are good and something good might come out of it, but behind it also lies the selfishness of the self absorbed urban middle class, who is aware of women being paraded naked, raped, killed in other parts of the country and even in its vicinity, but as long as they do not represent its class this great middle class doesnt mind forgetting about it. The message is simple: When it hurts us, then it becomes a national outrage. Because we are the entitled citizens of India, the taxpayers, the thought leaders and if anything happens to us, then we demand quick justice, we demand payback.
I don't think any india media will come up with a headline like another indias daughter is raped in this case

Why didn't you create a new thread for every ****ing rape? Why didn't you make a candlelight vigil for every rape victim? You are part of the society as well and probably a champion of the poor. So, pray tell us why you ignored such incidents yourself before you point fingers at rest of India. Guys, not everything is a class war. Lets try to fix our culture to prevent all rapes.
True, its easy to blame the damn media. For effs sake, its not like anyone didn't know there were crimes against dalits happening every single day, particularly against women. You can't expect the news site/paper to become a gore fest to report and follow up on rapes/crimes happening maybe every hour across the country.

I have never created a thread on ICF on any topic, so what is your point? Creating threads, putting facebook statuses and candle light vigils do zilch for the victims, except probably helping the middle class overcome its guilt and express its frustration. Neither am I a champion of the poor. I say it as I see it. Probably you can do better by showing how am I wrong instead of asking what have I done to help the society.
True' date=' its easy to blame the damn media. For effs sake, its not like anyone didn't know there were crimes against dalits happening every single day, particularly against women. You can't expect the news site/paper to become a gore fest to report and follow up on rapes/crimes happening maybe every hour across the country.[/quote'] Not blaming the media. It will after all, cater to its readers which is the middle class. My comments are on the self absorbed middle class. The point is not why all rapes are not reported, but the point is why only those are taken up by the middle class only when it can identify with the victims ( Media and Bollywood follow suit because the middle class is their primary audience). And then what is mainly a middle class (not even 10% of the population) protest is called a national outrage.

I have never created a thread on ICF on any topic, so what is your point? Creating threads, putting facebook statuses and candle light vigils do zilch for the victims, except probably helping the middle class overcome its guilt and express its frustration. Neither am I a champion of the poor. I say it as I see it. Probably you can do better by showing how am I wrong instead of asking what have I done to help the society. Not blaming the media. It will after all, cater to its readers which is the middle class. My comments are on the self absorbed middle class. The point is not why all rapes are not reported, but the point is why only those are taken up by the middle class only when it can identify with the victims ( Media and Bollywood follow suit because the middle class is their primary audience). And then what is mainly a middle class (not even 10% of the population) protest is called a national outrage.
Middle Class the world over is the same. They are largely inert and self centered. Not that there is any thing wrong with that. Their primary role is to be the engine of an economy. Change is brought by the poor and ideologues. And that is where the problem lies. The poor are too poor in India to worry about anything other than rozi roti while the ideologues are morally bankrupt and largely of the wrong kind. I think changing demographics will go a long way to solve a lot of India's problems. It is the above 40/50 age group that is responsible for the mess India is in. Once these intellectually decrepit Macaulayputras and putris are phased out, there will be change. Next 20 years will be interesting times.

The Delhi girl belonged to the lower middle class too. She came from a rustic background. The outrage in this case is also because people have had enough of this.The incident happening in the capital makes it easier to arrange protests .The media is more available 24/7. Wish every case could get the attention this case did...but because of this case ...cases in other parts are also being taken seriously. The case of the rape victim in Patiala committing suicide was taken seriously only after the widespread protests in the capital.I believe in this case also the accused have been arrested. What needs to be done is that a uniform timeframe is used for prosecuting the accused and a uniform punishment given.

When are we going to see public protests in other parts? or if they are happening then when are we going to see media coverage? If Delhi people take out a procession' date=' it is shown as A Nation Outraged..When is Punjab and other states going to get outraged and represented by the "mainstream" media??[/quote'] What is your problem with the protests in Delhi? May be if the people of Punjab had also shown such solidarity with the victim...things would be the same there too. The people of Delhi are sick....maybe it is high time people in the rest of the country also got up and did something about the outrages happening in their states. The media can only show what is happening.

What is your problem with the protests in Delhi? May be if the people of Punjab had also shown such solidarity with the victim...things would be the same there too. The people of Delhi are sick....maybe it is high time people in the rest of the country also got up and did something about the outrages happening in their states. The media can only show what is happening.
Very good point! Also the point that was made earlier... boys need to be educated at an early age!! Its a massive massive problem in the subcontinent...how can you show disrespect to women? If anyone ever said anything to my mother or my sisters or my daughters i would beat them so bad they wouldnt ever come in my neighbourhood ever again! Im sure any man would do the same as i would So if im abusing a woman surely that woman is someones sister someones daughter?? why cant these idiots understand that?? Common sense is something thats lacking very sadly......

If women are not safe in their own homes, where will they go? When those who are supposed to protect them inflict damage, what can they expect from the society? Death due to being burned because of dowry, raped on a moving bus, police not treating the case properly, driven to suicide .... it is not surprisingly that this happens when women are not protected in their own homes, by their loved and trusted ones .... the evil is too big to be ignored And there are too many stories of evil from around the world. recently in Vancouver, a dog, who was termed to be to friendly to be a police dog, was beaten with an iron rod by his "owner" and thrown in a dumpster to die (which he eventually did, google captain the dog) .... there is no consideration of life of those who depend upon us whether it is an animal or a human :((

What is your problem with the protests in Delhi? May be if the people of Punjab had also shown such solidarity with the victim...things would be the same there too. The people of Delhi are sick....maybe it is high time people in the rest of the country also got up and did something about the outrages happening in their states. The media can only show what is happening.
+1 I simply don't understand the validity of not taking action somewhere because it hasn't been taken somewhere else this way nothing will ever happen

Please show me in my post where I said/implied that I have a problem with the protests in Delhi? To make it easier for you, I have problem with two things: 1. Protests not happening in other parts for the rapes and killings that happen there. 2. Media making the protest in Delhi as a national outrage. National doesnt mean 10% of population (middle class) + Bollywood.

TC....I think the national outrage is working .Cases from other parts are getting highlighted .Besides what happens in the capital does make a difference because the laws are made here .When the capital is involved...the politicians are forced to sit up and notice.The outrage is not just for this case...it is for atrocity against women in general and it is not just restricted to Delhi. At least from what is shown in the media...protests are happening every where. I hope this translates to zero tolerance at the local level too for local cases too..The vernacular media has to play a bigger role. I apologize if my comment was rude.

BTW what was the point of mentioning that she is dalit when the rapist is also a dalit (since he is her cousin)? I have never understood the need to mention caste unnecessarily. As for the crime itself, well i keep saying the same thing. A basic case in India does not get a hearing for months and never gets a fair trial ... and all that means criminals become more confident of getting away with crime

Woww this is so reputable for Indians..a girl crying and requesting on every possible platform and nobody listening to her..girls are always blames and forced to commit..the parents are responsible to make their girls learn to bear torture and keep their mouth shut up..and when they speak..this is how they are treated..strict action should be taken against cops too..and those criminals too who threatens cops so that they dont file complaints against them..

BTW what was the point of mentioning that she is dalit when the rapist is also a dalit (since he is her cousin)? I have never understood the need to mention caste unnecessarily. As for the crime itself, well i keep saying the same thing. A basic case in India does not get a hearing for months and never gets a fair trial ... and all that means criminals become more confident of getting away with crime
We are yet to know the details about the caste of 6 other people involved in this incident.

This incident doesnt qualify. 1. This girl doesnt belong to the middle class. Middle class has problems with rape "when even our girls are not safe". 2. She doesnt belong to the urban crowd. This crowd is the most vocal when something happens to them. 3. Media's main readership is the urban middle class and it is a mouthpiece of their opinions. You will never hear Bollywood stars tweeting their outrage over it. Or the English newspapers taking over this case. They open their eyes and mouths when the danger reaches their own doorsteps. Till then it is chalta hai.
Couldn't agree more :two_thumbs_up:

Bangalore: Man rapes 8-yr old, 6-year old girl raped in Pune Bangalore: Man lures 8-yr old with chocolates at a New Year function, rapes her

Bangalore: There seems to be no end to the shame as in a shocker from Bangalore, a man allegedly lured an eight-year-old at a New Year function on Monday night and raped her. The incident occurred when the girl was acting in a play staged at the New Year function. The suspect allegedly lured the girl with chocolates and raped her. The parents of the victim were alerted after they discovered the girl's injuries. Acting swiftly in the case, the Bangalore police have formed three teams to track down the suspect. The girl was shifted to a nearby hospital for treatment. According to the police, the girl may also be shifted for better treatment if need be. Krishna Bhatt, DCP, Bangalore East, said, "We have shifted the girl to Ambedkar Medical College and Hospital. For further treatment and based on her report, if she needs she will be sent for better treatment. But as of now, the doctor has opined that she is okay. Talking about the probe and police action, he said, "In this regard, we've already formed three teams of experienced police officers, investigating officers in order to nab the culprit. Investigation is on."
Pune: Six-year-old girl raped on New Year's day
Pune: Amid the outrage over the recent gangrape in the national capital and calls for enhanced safety and security of women, in a shocking crime in Maharashtra, a minor was allegedly raped on the New Year's day in Hadapsar in Pune. Following the incident, the Pune police registered a case against an unknown person with regard to the case. The six-year-old girl was allegedly raped early on Tuesday morning. The victim was sent by the police for medical examination to the Sasson hospital in Pune.
:sick: