Dravid apprehensive on technology assisting umpires

Feed

India were at the receiving end of two contentious umpiring decisions in the deciding match of the series but Rahul Dravid, their captain, didn't think present-day technology was good enough to aid umpires in all situations. More... England v India, 7th ODI, Lord's Dravid apprehensive on technology assisting umpires Siddhartha Vaidyanathan at Lord's September 8, 2007 spacer.gif India were at the receiving end of two contentious umpiring decisions in the deciding match of the series but Rahul Dravid, their captain, didn't think present-day technology was good enough to aid umpires in all situations. Both Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar were disappointed with their caught-behind decisions and stood their ground after umpire Aleem Dar raised his finger, but Dravid wasn't in favour of technology being used more often. "I don't think the technology is good enough at the moment, especially for fine edges, snicks and lbws," he said. "It is for line decisions and I think there it should stay." Replays were inconclusive with regard to Dravid's dismissal, suggesting that there might have been a faint edge after all. "I did not feel the snick at that stage," he said when asked about the Andrew Flintoff delivery that cut him in half before he had opened his account. "The technology showed that I got a snick and I have to accept it. May be they were right as I did not feel it at that moment because generally, you feel when you snick it. May be this time I didn't feel it. But I can't argue with snicko, can I?" There were no doubts, though, about Tendulkar's dismissal. The bat did not make contact with the ball and television replays indicated that the bat had brushed the pad. India's administrative manager Rajeev Shukla had earlier said that the team were planning to lodge a protest regarding umpiring standards in this series. "We'll lodge a complaint with the ICC about the decisions," Shukla was quoted as saying in PTI. Dravid was expected to furnish an umpires' report, as all captains do at the end of the series, and said he will convey his thoughts in that report. England captain Paul Collingwood was satisfied with the overall quality of the umpiring despite the number of errors over the tour, starting from the Tests. "I think overall the standard of umpiring has been pretty high," he said. "There's been some decisions that probably haven't been correct at times but we all make mistakes."

If the one at the receiving end says there is no need for technology what purpose does it serve BCCI to lodge a complaint? Rahul has had several rough decisions since the South Africa series last year but he continues to say technology is not the answer. I say leave it to him to suffer. I have no sympathy if he reckons it's all fair for him to have received those decisions.

If this was the first instance I wouldn't blame him but the umpiring has been so dismal recently it is one of the first things ICC needs to fix in my opinion. Now you have BCCI lodging a protest and the captain of the Indian team says there's nothing wrong with the umpiring standards. All we need is Tendulkar to say similarly and lay the umpiring controversies to rest. I wouldn't ever again be pissed if Rahul gets a bad decision.

Umpiring decisions are sad but IMO they make game more interesting. Had India bowled really good today and defended 187's target, it would have been really a slap on Ump's face. So what batsmen collapsed for mere total, but mind you 187 is no less .... I think instead of blaming ump's we should question our team's ability to defend any target that they set

Umpiring decisions are sad but IMO they make game more interesting. Had India bowled really good today and defended 187's target' date=' it would have been really a slap on Ump's face. So what batsmen collapsed for mere total, but mind you 187 is no less .... I think instead of blaming ump's we should question our team's ability to defend any target that they set[/quote']Not really, there was no way they could defend that total on that pitch.
Could you explain how SRT's dissmissal was interesting ? And why dont our team get such decisions ... to make it "interesting" ?
Interesting as in ... I mean india were bundled out to 187, our bowlers + fielders could have put more effort to make it a low scoring thriller, but unfortunately they gave up before Eng's inn started. Fielding was sloppy and bowling was next to hopeless you dont win games that way. no comments on "why dont our team get such decisions ... to make it "interesting" But blaming the umpires completely for the loss, is nothing but sign of cowards :sad_smile:
Interesting as in ... I mean india were bundled out to 187, our bowlers + fielders could have put more effort to make it a low scoring thriller, but unfortunately they gave up before Eng's inn started. Fielding was sloppy and bowling was next to hopeless you dont win games that way. no comments on "why dont our team get such decisions ... to make it "interesting" But blaming the umpires completely for the loss, is nothing but sign of cowards :sad_smile:
We're not blaming umpire for the loss. We're blaming him for the bad decisions!!

this dravid idiot is always suprising me. First with the toss decisions, Gambhir at no.3 instead of dravid himself or yuvraj. Also not allowing dhoni to come at top of the order where he is better than any batsman atm. Sticking with agakar which is stupid as hell. NOt brining in pathan/bhajji.

>>>>>NOt brining in pathan/bhajji. That's not his job.He is not the selector ....and stop calling him an idiot. Have some respect !
Exactly. And if Yuvi or Dhoni--everyone bats at the top order, who'll get runs in the middle overs and slog overs?? Dhoni doesn't have technique to bat at a higher position in test or ODI outside India. He is doing a fine job with his limited technique and excellent temperament!!