The Congress Thread: Tracking India's Grand Old Party

jairamesh

http://zeenews.india.com/business/news/economy/operation-hawala-moin-qureshi-exposed_97962.html
The 60-day long raid and survey by the IT department on alleged Hawala operator and meat exporter Moin Qureshi ended Tuesday exposing links with cabinet ministers and a political leader allegedly very close to 10 Janpath. Since its first raid on February 16, 2014, the IT department has so far raided various locations at Delhi, Gurgaon, Noida and a farmhouse at Chhatarpur belonging to Moin Qureshi. According to sources, the department seized over Rs 6 crores in cash and 20 lockers in the name of Qureshi's employees during its first raid. Later during interrogation, Qureshi is said to have admitted that lockers belonged to him which had huge cash deposit. The raid followed after IT officials intercepted over two months of call recordings. In the 520 hours of call recordings, names of four cabinet ministers, a political leader allegedly very close to 10 Janpath and many big corporates linked to 2G scam have surfaced, as per sources. The 520 hours phone recordings in digital format is stored in DGIT office at Jhandewalan. According to the source, a former CBI director had rented out his house (C-134, Defence Colony), registered in his mother's name to Moin Qureshi for office space. The bribe money, which the former CBI director received from a corporate named in 2G case, is allegedly routed by Qureshi via Dubai-London route. The IT department has also searched two other offices in Defence Colony D-318 and D-268. D-318 which are being operated as the office of Doon School Old Boys' Association where Qureshiis the President. Cabinet minister RPN Singh is the Vice President of the association. Qureshi has seen phenomenal growth in his wealth in the last decade. His meat export business AMQ Agro India has posted a turnover of Rs 167 crore which, as per the IT department, is less than the actual wealth. Qureshi has also deflated his actual wealth on paper as his bank account transactions in London and Dubai are not concomitant with his disclosed income, as per the IT dept. As per sources, the IT department is likely to collate seizures and interrogation details and make the disclosure within two months. IT Department may also interrogate ministers and corporate named in the recordings. It may also be referred to Enforcement Directorate for investigating under money laundering case.

hahahahahahahaha I think the congress will dump him if they get a low count and Priyanka Gandhi will take the helm.
Yup. I think many Kanngresis, sure of his inability to lead the Party, are waiting for him to fail so that they can call for Priyanka Gandhi to take a larger role and slowly replace him.

Yup. I think many Kanngresis' date=' sure of his inability to lead the Party, are waiting for him to fail so that they can call for Priyanka Gandhi to take a larger role and slowly replace him.[/quote'] With Vadra around, even the BJP wants Congress to dump Baba and lift Bianca... Easy target... Intact BJP, if forms Govt. Might open an investigation on Vadra and force Congress to stick with Baba...

Yup. I think many Kanngresis' date=' sure of his inability to lead the Party, are waiting for him to fail so that they can call for Priyanka Gandhi to take a larger role and slowly replace him.[/quote'] Priyanka has the same problem as Rahul. When you stake a claim to the highest office, there has to be some prior experience at a governance. All these interview gaffes are hardly an issue, but he cannot directly step out of a Congress position into the prime minister's chair. Should have taken a cabinet post under MMS if he wanted to prove his skills as an administrator

Yup. I think many Kanngresis' date=' sure of his inability to lead the Party, are waiting for him to fail so that they can call for Priyanka Gandhi to take a larger role and slowly replace him.[/quote'] I hope it becomes a civil war. But knowing the family it will be a smooth affair. The congress this term is more about stopping the BJP than winning. Even if the BJP dont win as many seats , its a case of the regional parties sweeping them up. The vadra question remains the only hitch. Divorce might be on the cards.

He seems to comfortable in Hindi' date=' most probably a gaffe[/quote'] Yeah. Though seeing the number of gaffes and the generally poor quality (I'm talking about the content of the speech, not delivery - delivery is anyway going to be poor when he is the speaker) of his speeches, I sometimes think that there are some people within the Cong trying to sabotage his campaign and to do further damage to his already floundering image.

With Vadra around' date=' even the BJP wants Congress to dump Baba and lift Bianca... Easy target... Intact BJP, if forms Govt. [b']Might open an investigation on Vadra and force Congress to stick with Baba...
Nope it wont. Major parties have a you scratch my back, I scratch yours policy. For all her corruption allegations against Gehlot, Raje didnt start a probe after taking power. AIADMK and DMK in TN are at each other's throats alleging corruption but have never taken any actual action. Because they plan to do the same in their government

With Vadra around' date=' even the BJP wants Congress to dump Baba and lift Bianca... Easy target... Intact BJP, if forms Govt. [b']Might open an investigation on Vadra and force Congress to stick with Baba...
That can only happen if BJP gets very high numbers on its own.
Priyanka has the same problem as Rahul. When you stake a claim to the highest office, there has to be some prior experience at a governance. All these interview gaffes are hardly an issue, but he cannot directly step out of a Congress position into the prime minister's chair. Should have taken a cabinet post under MMS if he wanted to prove his skills as an administrator
Yeah...but in the limited media interactions and campaigning in Amethi/Rai Bareilly she has gone for, it does look like she is a better communicator and knows better than Rahul as to how to connect with the people. That has been his single biggest mistake till date. He had 10 years - he could have built a solid political resume by working in different ministries. Not only would he have gained much needed experience but he might have had something to show for in this election.
I hope it becomes a civil war. But knowing the family it will be a smooth affair. The congress this term is more about stopping the BJP than winning. Even if the BJP dont win as many seats , its a case of the regional parties sweeping them up. The vadra question remains the only hitch. Divorce might be on the cards.
No way is there going to be a civil war - Rahul Gandhi simply doesn't have it in him to actually challenge his sister for control of the party. Besides, as you said, knowing the Cong party, it will be a smooth, gradual transition with Rahul going behind the scenes and Priyanka becoming the face of the party. Till about 2 years ago there were constant rumors of a divorce happening soon. Now all the rumors have died down. But I'm quite sure that if and when Priyanka Gandhi enters politics, Vadra will not be a part of the family - he is too big a liability.

With Sonia and Rahul Gandhi at the top, Congress has “no vacancy†for a leadership role, party leader Shashi Tharoor on Saturday said amidst speculation that Priyanka Gandhi could assume a bigger responsibility in the organisation. “Congress has a President and a Vice-President, who is not only functioning but also active. Off course, Priyanka Gandhi is campaigning in two Lok Sabha constituencies (Amethi and Rae Bareli),†Tharoor, who is also a party spokesperson, told reporters, adding that she herself had restricted her role to the two seats. Asked if this meant Priyanka was not required, Tharoor said “there is no vacancy at the moment. We have a President and a Vice President and they are doing a jobâ€. The Congress leader, at the same time, said that there has been a “very positive impact†by the campaigning of Priyanka in the two parliamentary constituencies.