Haunting melodies

Gambit

wow.. i am surprised to see not many of you like rafi saab.. Kishore saab no doubt was multi-talented all time great.. but rafi-saab was there on top too.. there are plenty.. but these are the great ones that i could found on youtube.. ''mann tadpat hari darshan ko aaj.. - baiju bawra.. WUldwMSWgq0 "mere mehboob tujhe.. cXT3eSetSag

In my experience' date=' most people develop an instant liking to Kishore Kumar's songs and Rafi is more of an acquired taste possibly because some of the tunes and lyrics of his songs are not very easy to grasp instantly.[/quote'] One of the reasons for this Shwetabh is that Rafi was a little older to Kishore. In this sense most of his popular songs came in late 50s, 60s and early 70s. Fans of today find little attachment for these songs. Part of the reason is because of the actors on whom such songs were picturised. Heroes ranging from Bharat Bhushan/Pradeep Kumar to Joy Mukherjee/Manoj Kumar. Perhaps his most popular songs were on Rajendra Kumar and which Indian fan do you know loves Rajendra Kumar? On the other hand KK had Rajesh Khanna connection(post Aradhana) and then Amitabh. Most of Amitabh's popular numbers are KK. And we can all agree that an Amitabh song, even today is worth watching. This is the same reason why modern fans like RD Burman as the best music director and at times have little appreciation for Naushad, Roshan, Ravi, Shankar-Jaikishen, SD Burman, Madan Mohan etc. xxxx

Guest dada_rocks

Kishore rafi jang;;:giggle: well as far as popularity was concerned kishore da left them all behinds but as far as singing is concerned othern than one particualr genre ( shastriya sangeet where manna dey scores above everyone) Rafi leavse them all behind.. Rafi's quality was his weird vocal organ where even if he raised his pitch there was no sign of SNR going low.. Normal person's vocal chords work as a conventional amplifier and as anyone with basic knowledge of electrical engg wud know gain curve tapers off thereby making the noise content more visible .. There was no such problem with rafi whatsoever.. He certainly was fluke of nature..

M Rafi's era was in 50s and 60s. KK's was in 70s and 80s. So, comparing these two is like comparing Sonu Nigam with Udit Narayan. Sonu became popular post 2000, while Udit had already sung for 10 years by then. Sonu Nigam's voice quality is the closest that matches Rafi. He is the best rafi-clone till now. KK was a naturally talented singer, gifted voice quality and he used to sing effortlessly. I them both. Altho' I like Sonu Nigam the best.

Guest dada_rocks

How about Mahendra Kapoor u must like him if u like Rafi....When in later years lataji aur rafi mein presumably khit-pit ho gai then Mahnedra Kapoor used to be the male voice in classic duets..

Guest dada_rocks

One can sing in sur/taal despite having obnoxious-voice ( which is subject to perception anyway).. Mahendra Kapoor remains one of the legend of hindi cinema not in rafi/kishore class but certainly a great singer..

Mahendra Kapoor is one of the most obnoxious voices to have sung a song. Dont believe me' date=' ask anyone you know who has a bit of training/experience in classical music.[/quote'] I second that. Mahendra Kumar has that weird kind of voice that neither sooths not gladdens your heart, somehow it always irritates me. Of course it can be a matter of personal choice. The success of Mahendra Kapur was largely due to the age-old ritual of musicians prefering certain lyricist and singers. In case of Mahendra Kapur the success of his songs can be traced to two major music directors - Ravi and Kalyanji Anandji. The bulk of MK's successful song - all the way from the movie Hamraaj(Tum Agar saath dene ka waada karo, Kissi Pathar ki Murat se, Na Muhn chupa ke jeeyo) all the way to early 80s Nikaah (Chehra Chupa liya hai kissi ne hijaab mein) comes from Ravi stable. KA lent MK support for Manoj Kumar's patriotic songs like Hai Preet jehan ki reet sada etc etc. xxx

Guest dada_rocks
Mahendra Kapoor and sur/taal?:hysterical::hysterical:
You have no idea how musically challenged you sound with that barb..:giggle: Here is Rafi's clone endorsed by rafi himself.. enjoy 2imbqT2jL6g

Guest dada_rocks
I second that. Mahendra Kumar has that weird kind of voice that neither sooths not gladdens your heart, somehow it always irritates me. Of course it can be a matter of personal choice. The success of Mahendra Kapur was largely due to the age-old ritual of musicians prefering certain lyricist and singers. In case of Mahendra Kapur the success of his songs can be traced to two major music directors - Ravi and Kalyanji Anandji. The bulk of MK's successful song - all the way from the movie Hamraaj(Tum Agar saath dene ka waada karo, Kissi Pathar ki Murat se, Na Muhn chupa ke jeeyo) all the way to early 80s Nikaah (Chehra Chupa liya hai kissi ne hijaab mein) comes from Ravi stable. KA lent MK support for Manoj Kumar's patriotic songs like Hai Preet jehan ki reet sada etc etc. xxx
Personal choice aside but to insinuate Kapoor had no connection with sur/tall at best is cluelessness speaking..

Personal choice aside but to insinuate Kapoor had no connection with sur/tall at best is cluelessness speaking..
Hain? Where did I suggest Mahendra Kapur doesnt have sur/taal??? Bina soche samjhe clueless ka allegation laga diya? :confused_smile: Arre bhai musicians like Ravi and Kalyanji Anandji are all time greats of Hindi cinema. That they liked Mahendra Kapur to sing their song does not mean they would compromise with basic music skill now does it? Kya yaar kuch bhi bol dete ho. xxx