1. 1.

• Ishant Sharma
    • Ashok Dinda
    • Chetan Chauhan
    • VRV Singh
    • Abey Kurvilla
    • Vinay Kumar
    • Dodda Ganesh

endless list .. I was laughing:cantstop: at how many names got popped up while going through the thread. :hysterical:
Other than a handful of fast bowlers all our pacers have been a joke. Take out Kapil, Zak, Srinath, Prasad, Agarkar in odis, Amar Singh and Mohammad Nissar we have been cr@p as far as fast bowling is concerned :sad: Occasionally we get one or two series wonders (Sreesanth, Balaji, Irfan etc.) who helped us win a few games but that's about it. Pretty sad state of affairs really given the resources we had at our disposal and the enormous love & support the game enjoys in India. It's extremely sad that arguably the best opening pair we had in our history was in our opening Test in Mohd Nissar and Amar Singh. Srinath & Prasad comes 2nd which frankly is a pathetic record.
It's extremely sad that arguably the best opening pair we had in our history was in our opening Test in Mohd Nissar and Amar Singh. Srinath & Prasad comes 2nd which frankly is a pathetic record.
Kapil and Ghavri were really good together. They shared the new ball in around 25-30 tests picking up around 200 wickets. They never conceded a century opening partnership in the matches they opened the bowling together, which is quite remarkable given that even legendary opening bowling pairs have not managed that feat. I would put them as the number 1 opening pair given how little Amar Singh and Nissar played.
ISHAAAAANT IS SAD' date=' WHAT PISSES ME OFF is in a recent article he says he is pretty satisfied and has done pretty well in the series against Australia.[/quote'] He also said that his job is to only contain the run-scoring..... that just sums up his attitude.
Other than a handful of fast bowlers all our pacers have been a joke. Take out Kapil, Zak, Srinath, Prasad, Agarkar in odis, Amar Singh and Mohammad Nissar we have been cr@p as far as fast bowling is concerned :sad: Occasionally we get one or two series wonders (Sreesanth, Balaji, Irfan etc.) who helped us win a few games but that's about it. Pretty sad state of affairs really given the resources we had at our disposal and the enormous love & support the game enjoys in India. It's extremely sad that arguably the best opening pair we had in our history was in our opening Test in Mohd Nissar and Amar Singh. Srinath & Prasad comes 2nd which frankly is a pathetic record.
Sad, but accurate assessment.
Kapil and Ghavri were really good together. They shared the new ball in around 25-30 tests picking up around 200 wickets. They never conceded a century opening partnership in the matches they opened the bowling together, which is quite remarkable given that even legendary opening bowling pairs have not managed that feat. I would put them as the number 1 opening pair given how little Amar Singh and Nissar played.
That may very well be so but isn't it sad to think opening new ball pair of Kapil & Ghavri have been the best we ever had? With all due respect to Ghavri he isn't exactly a bowler who would strike fear in any team's heart. When compared to other teams' top new ball combination we are clearly the weakest - in fact so weak that teams like WI and Aus could field multiple new ball pairs in their history who would be higher than ours.
That may very well be so but isn't it sad to think opening new ball pair of Kapil & Ghavri have been the best we ever had? With all due respect to Ghavri he isn't exactly a bowler who would strike fear in any team's heart. When compared to other teams' top new ball combination we are clearly the weakest - in fact so weak that teams like WI and Aus could field multiple new ball pairs in their history who would be higher than ours.
I am not contesting that India has not produced fast bowlers like other countries. That much is obvious. Point of my post was to highlight the Kapil-Ghavri opening pair which is probably the best Indian pair and actually have a decent record even by international standards and was omitted in the discussion.
lot of ghavri's wickets were picked by bowling spin' date=not sure how many of those 200 wickets you are showing in the kapil-ghavri partnersip were picked by ghavri's pace bowling.
Not a lot, a few. He was primarily a medium pace bowler who would be used to bowl spin sometimes on a day 5 wicket when the team could do with an extra spinner.

Looks like a collection of who's-who of the bottom of fast bowling barrel. 80s and 90s were replete with such bowlers who were picked to partner kapil Dev. There was awesome Rajinder Singh Ghai who bowled with a Waqar lie action (before Waqar hiself did so). However Ghai was a cool 3/4th of a foot shorter than Waqar. my pick would be Bharathi Arun. Left arm fast bowler who played 2 Test matches against Sri Lanka. His bowling was as awesome as his beginning to Test cricket. Still remember his debut delivery and the lovely Hindi commentary on Doordarshan. Ye naye daayein haath ke tej gati ke gendbaaz Bharathi Arun. Bowling mark pe. Teji se daudte huye, bowling wicket ke paas, ye inhohein chalaang lagayi. Dekhna hai inki pahli gend kya hoti hai, aur ye hawa mein ........................................... yeh lijiye ye to gir gaye! (Arun slipped and fell on his first delivery)

Ye naye daayein haath ke tej gati ke gendbaaz Bharathi Arun. Bowling mark pe. Teji se daudte huye, bowling wicket ke paas, ye inhohein chalaang lagayi. Dekhna hai inki pahli gend kya hoti hai, aur ye hawa mein ........................................... yeh lijiye ye to gir gaye! (Arun slipped and fell on his first delivery)
:haha: :haha: That made for a very funny read.
Looks like a collection of who's-who of the bottom of fast bowling barrel. 80s and 90s were replete with such bowlers who were picked to partner kapil Dev. There was awesome Rajinder Singh Ghai who bowled with a Waqar lie action (before Waqar hiself did so). However Ghai was a cool 3/4th of a foot shorter than Waqar. my pick would be Bharathi Arun. Left arm fast bowler who played 2 Test matches against Sri Lanka. His bowling was as awesome as his beginning to Test cricket. Still remember his debut delivery and the lovely Hindi commentary on Doordarshan. Ye naye daayein haath ke tej gati ke gendbaaz Bharathi Arun. Bowling mark pe. Teji se daudte huye, bowling wicket ke paas, ye inhohein chalaang lagayi. Dekhna hai inki pahli gend kya hoti hai, aur ye hawa mein ........................................... yeh lijiye ye to gir gaye! (Arun slipped and fell on his first delivery)
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Now he is our U-19 team's coach.
my pick would be Bharathi Arun. Left arm fast bowler who played 2 Test matches against Sri Lanka. His bowling was as awesome as his beginning to Test cricket. Still remember his debut delivery and the lovely Hindi commentary on Doordarshan.
Nahin yaar, Arun was right hand bowler. I remember because in the Kanpur ODI in that series India were bowled out for 100 or so with the chief destroyer being Ranatunga and I recall comparing how similar Arun's bowling style was to Ranatunga. That should tell all you need to know about Arun's bowling. :hysterical: