Any future changes you would like to see in IPL ?

kubrickian

as things stand Sahara have not given any money for that ground. They did give money in the past but the Maharashtra cricket association did not give them a seat on how the stadium should be run. So he cut funding and the Maharashtra cricket association finished it by selling land they had near Mumbai and returned his money. It was named Subrata Roy stadium and commentators wrongly in the IPL still mention it. I think its official name right now is Maharashtra cricket stadium Pune. The stadium itself is still not 100%. In the master plan you will see big stands everywhere all across the ground raising capacity to about 80,000. Work is still underway and should resume after the IPL. Wont be surprised if this does one day becomes the largest cricket stadium in the world as there is potential to increase capacity to 120,000 depending on demand. There is plenty of land there for that to happen. The location of the stadium along the Mumbai pune expressway also means that they can also make use of Mumbai airport (which is a hub) for direct connections. Sahara had the option of A'bad Pune or Nagpur from what i gather. He chose Pune due to the Sahara mega project Amby valley being nearby. There have been big differences between Subrata Roy and Maharashtra cricket association due to the stadium situation (Roy's lack of representative on the board). Hence he wanted to move it to Lucknow.

Looking at google maps, its about 69 km from green park stadium in kanpur to lucknow airport. I am sure that if they build an expressway between lucknow and kanpur it can be possible to host a franchise there. But as things stand the road in between both destinations is in poor conditions.

as things stand Sahara have not given any money for that ground. They did give money in the past but the Maharashtra cricket association did not give them a seat on how the stadium should be run. So he cut funding and the Maharashtra cricket association finished it by selling land they had near Mumbai and returned his money. It was named Subrata Roy stadium and commentators wrongly in the IPL still mention it. I think its official name right now is Maharashtra cricket stadium Pune. The stadium itself is still not 100%. In the master plan you will see big stands everywhere all across the ground raising capacity to about 80,000. Work is still underway and should resume after the IPL. Wont be surprised if this does one day becomes the largest cricket stadium in the world as there is potential to increase capacity to 120,000 depending on demand. There is plenty of land there for that to happen. The location of the stadium along the Mumbai pune expressway also means that they can also make use of Mumbai airport (which is a hub) for direct connections. Sahara had the option of A'bad Pune or Nagpur from what i gather. He chose Pune due to the Sahara mega project Amby valley being nearby. There have been big differences between Subrata Roy and Maharashtra cricket association due to the stadium situation (Roy's lack of representative on the board). Hence he wanted to move it to Lucknow.
I don't know if they have returned the money or not but Sahara payed nearly 100 crores in 2011. Sahara has also built a club in the stadium for use of the franchise and other MCA officials. Yes, the stadium is still not completed but nearly 85% work has been done. Plus you are wrong about the name ... Yes, the MCA officials had problems with payments from Sahara and hence they had covered the name of the stadium after which Sahara went to court and a case is still pending. Rajiv Shukla has interfered and the matter is held up for the IPL and the court has given an order that the stadium will be known as Subroto Roy Sahara stadium till the end of this IPL.

Looking at google maps, its about 69 km from green park stadium in kanpur to lucknow airport. I am sure that if they build an expressway between lucknow and kanpur it can be possible to host a franchise there. But as things stand the road in between both destinations is in poor conditions.
Its UP buddy ... nothing will happen. Even the Yamuna Expressway from Delhi to Agra which is being hyped so much looks poor in design. I recently travelled twice on it ... Paid about 550 bucks for to and fro toll tickets and yet felt that the roads were not even as good as the ones between Hyderabad to Vijaywada. The only good thing about it was that the toll taxes kept the traffic away.

I don't know if they have returned the money or not but Sahara payed nearly 100 crores in 2011. Sahara has also built a club in the stadium for use of the franchise and other MCA officials. Yes, the stadium is still not completed but nearly 85% work has been done. Plus you are wrong about the name ... Yes, the MCA officials had problems with payments from Sahara and hence they had covered the name of the stadium after which Sahara went to court and a case is still pending. Rajiv Shukla has interfered and the matter is held up for the IPL and the court has given an order that the stadium will be known as Subroto Roy Sahara stadium till the end of this IPL.
i stand corrected on the name. I did not follow the case up. I just read its in the courts. But i am pretty sure Maharashtra cricket association returned his money. Also, i dont think 85% work is done. I have been to the stadium and talked to people there and they say plenty of work still to be done. I think 85% is just for the completion of one phase. There are probably 2-3 phases till to come.

Its UP buddy ... nothing will happen. Even the Yamuna Expressway from Delhi to Agra which is being hyped so much looks poor in design. I recently travelled twice on it ... Paid about 550 bucks for to and fro toll tickets and yet felt that the roads were not even as good as the ones between Hyderabad to Vijaywada. The only good thing about it was that the toll taxes kept the traffic away.
never been on it so cant say. But i have been on the Hyderabad circular road and the one to Vijaywada. (travelled from mumbai to pune to solapur to hyderabad to vijaywada) and to be honest the Hyderabad to Vijaywada expressway was the *****est of the lot. It was ****. Its a glorified 4 lane highway with lack of access control in many places. Mumbai pune expressway is like the god of expressways compared to that. Parts of the NH4 were better than that. So i dread to think what the Yamuna expressway will be like. :nervous:

never been on it so cant say. But i have been on the Hyderabad circular road and the one to Vijaywada. (travelled from mumbai to pune to solapur to hyderabad to vijaywada) and to be honest the Hyderabad to Vijaywada expressway was the *****est of the lot. It was ****. Its a glorified 4 lane highway with lack of access control in many places. Mumbai pune expressway is like the god of expressways compared to that. Parts of the NH4 were better than that. So i dread to think what the Yamuna expressway will be like. :nervous:
When did you travel from Hyderabad to Vijaywada ... Its kinda improved very recently and work is still going on at some places. Yamuna expressway is ok in terms of no 'gaddas' in it but thats because it is not much traversed and heavy vehicles pretty much stay away from it cause of high taxes. They rather use NH2 which is actually speaking as pathetic as a National highway can be. But Yamuna expressway is not level as in when I travelled in an AC car, I used to experience bumps every other minute and that is something which should not be in case of such a project. The HYD-VIJAYWADA highway atleast is smooth unless you land on a crack.

i stand corrected on the name. I did not follow the case up. I just read its in the courts. But i am pretty sure Maharashtra cricket association returned his money. Also, i dont think 85% work is done. I have been to the stadium and talked to people there and they say plenty of work still to be done. I think 85% is just for the completion of one phase. There are probably 2-3 phases till to come.
The ground and the pitches are ready. The Indoor practice center I guess is ready, if not in stages of completion from what I heard last. The practice ground for smaller games and nets is ready. The gym is ready. The club house is ready. What is left??? Just the stands and the extra facilities like the squash and Badminton courts, the swimming pool?? Update me why you think its not ready. Cause as a cricket stadium, most things are ready apart from some stands. The rest are just additional facilities.

When did you travel from Hyderabad to Vijaywada ... Its kinda improved very recently and work is still going on at some places. Yamuna expressway is ok in terms of no 'gaddas' in it but thats because it is not much traversed and heavy vehicles pretty much stay away from it cause of high taxes. They rather use NH2 which is actually speaking as pathetic as a National highway can be. But Yamuna expressway is not level as in when I travelled in an AC car' date=' I used to experience bumps every other minute and that is something which should not be in case of such a project. The HYD-VIJAYWADA highway atleast is smooth unless you land on a crack.[/quote'] as i said, i have not travelled on Yamuna expressway so cant say. But lets put it this way. The road from Mumbai to Nashik is better than hyderabad vijaywada expressway. It was bumpy and when we were travelling a cow came out from nowhere onto the road and its not surprising cause there are large stretches with no restrictions. anybody can walk onto the road without barriers. Even Nh4 highway has some restrictions. Also the access lane to the expressway was extremely narrow. A huge truck using that will collide with an vehecile on the main 2 lanes of the expressway with ease. I personally wont even call it an expressway. Its a highway. Access control which is crucial for classification is missing for large stretches on that road.

The ground and the pitches are ready. The Indoor practice center I guess is ready, if not in stages of completion from what I heard last. The practice ground for smaller games and nets is ready. The gym is ready. The club house is ready. What is left??? Just the stands and the extra facilities like the squash and Badminton courts, the swimming pool?? Update me why you think its not ready. Cause as a cricket stadium, most things are ready apart from some stands. The rest are just additional facilities.
I think your talking about Gahunje sporting complex in general and this phase of it. For starters they plan to make it similar to chepuk and have those sort of stands all the around around the ground. As things stand only the main pavilion area has those. The second phase should begin soon enough i guess.

I think your talking about Gahunje sporting complex in general and this phase of it. For starters they plan to make it similar to chepuk and have those sort of stands all the around around the ground. As things stand only the main pavilion area has those. The second phase should begin soon enough i guess.
Yeah, I was talking about the whole complex as a whole. And yes, I know they have made the stands at just one pavilion. Thats why I said its just the stands that have to be made ... More like the roof of the stands.

I think 3 months of IPL with more teams will work because content on Indian TV is hopelessly pathetic and low quality. The choice is between daily soap dramas or reality shows or depressing news on news channels. Very little decent entertainment on tv and hence IPL became so popular. But watching a game everyday will eventually lead to fatigue. Need more gaps between games.
Have the matches only on weekends, with a couple of mid week night games. Let the IPL run for 6 months with 30 franchises. Do away with useless bilateral internal cricket. Let the revenue generated from cricket remain in India :two_thumbs_up:

Please remove the Indian part from the name Mumbai Indians.. Mumbai Vadpaav.. whatever want they can have.. Not Mumbai Indians :hitler:
+1000...It's literally like the Ambanis telling us Indians, we can simply buy all of you. + I want more action from the cheerleaders

Flight connectivity to all other IPL venues being one. Good Hotels and Security availabilty being the next. The growing modern culture in Pune and the interests of young earning professionals in cricket which they would not have got in UP being another.
Dude, you are talking as if Lucknow doesn't have these things. The combined population of Lucknow and Kanpur is twice that of Pune and Jaipur, and more than Calcutta, Madras, and Ahmedabad. You think filling up the stadium will be a problem? Flight connectivity, good hotels, security? What does Pune offer in that respect that Lucknow can't?
Hence, they spent about 120 crores for completion of the stadium which in case of Lucknow, they would have had to do it completely by themselves and still wouldn't possibly have completed by the next IPL season. In case Lucknow ever becomes a viable venue for hosting IPL games, I am pretty sure, the Sahara group which is based out of Lucknow will be the first ones to move there, ofcourse if BCCI allows them and it would be easy at this time since they haven't really made too much of a fan base in Pune yet owing to the pathetic performances by their team.
What do you mean viable for hosting IPL games? Ranchi, Dharamshala are hosting IPL games, so is Lucknow-Kanpur disqualified? I don't know of the reasons why Sahara did not bid for Lucknow, but it's certainly not due to the some shabby infrastructure that you are suggesting.
I bet it takes less time to get there than from the Bangalore airport to Chinnaswamy stadium. The kind of reasons you and carnish are offering for Lucknow not having a franchise are completely flimsy.

4 foreign players are perfect. Remove that stupid strategic time out and dress codes for Rochelle and Kotak :icflove: Not more than 20% should be covered!
I have a better suggestion, remove that annoying Rochelle. She shouldn't even be allowed to host.

Yeah, I was talking about the whole complex as a whole. And yes, I know they have made the stands at just one pavilion. Thats why I said its just the stands that have to be made ... More like the roof of the stands.
I went to the match yesterday. The stadium was good and looks complete, apart from the roofs as you mentioned. But the road and the walk from the parking lot to the stadium is a horrifying experience. The walk to stadium is not even leveled, let alone paved. I could have almost tumbled to the stadium. The dust literally killed me. :((